"Media" items on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anaphylactic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that there will be "media" items on Step 1 this year (i.e questions that consist of videos or sound)? Or I am just wrong and this applies to other Steps?

Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that there will be "media" items on Step 1 this year (i.e questions that consist of videos or sound)? Or I am just wrong and this applies to other Steps?

Thx!

Supposedly they'll be in comlex, not sure about USMLE though

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found this through Google from:
http://usmle.egmedicine.com/2008/01/11/step-3-to-include-media-clips-starting-in-march-2008/

"A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 3 Examination beginning in early March 2008. No more than 5 items with associated media clips will appear in a single examination. The 2008 USMLE Orientation Materials include a small number of multiple-choice items that contain exhibits involving audio and/or video clips. Instructions for practicing with items with associated media clips on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 are provided in the Tutorials for each Step examination in the orientation materials.
Items with associated media were introduced into Step 2 CK in 2007, and will be introduced into Step 1 later in 2008. An announcement will be posted to the USMLE website approximately 2 months before any items with associated media clips appear on Step 1 examinations. Additional information will be posted to the USMLE website as it becomes available."

Just found this through Google from:
http://usmle.egmedicine.com/2008/01/11/step-3-to-include-media-clips-starting-in-march-2008/

"A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 3 Examination beginning in early March 2008. No more than 5 items with associated media clips will appear in a single examination. The 2008 USMLE Orientation Materials include a small number of multiple-choice items that contain exhibits involving audio and/or video clips. Instructions for practicing with items with associated media clips on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 are provided in the Tutorials for each Step examination in the orientation materials.
Items with associated media were introduced into Step 2 CK in 2007, and will be introduced into Step 1 later in 2008. An announcement will be posted to the USMLE website approximately 2 months before any items with associated media clips appear on Step 1 examinations. Additional information will be posted to the USMLE website as it becomes available."

Good job. Here is the link from the official site: http://www.usmle.org/General_Information/announcements.html
You have to expand the link under media clips for step 3 to see the whole thing. I am assuming that this will be the link for when they announce the start date of media items for step 1.