MD & DO Med students, help me out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At medical schools, workshops teaching students how to self-assess attitudes towards minorities and how to be mindful of behavior towards all patients, may be useful.

What @Matthew9Thirtyfive is calling out are med school lectures on racism that turn into race-shaming of white people, making students confused for a day then forget about it the next day.
Exactly. There are real biases and race issues in medicine, and talking about them would be useful. Instead, we just heard from some clearly biased people about how they have no bias and that all white people are racist, but no one else.

Members don't see this ad.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
For reference, I’m a BIPOC who had similar lectures at my school that were mostly pushed for by white woke women and man did I find the lack of egalitarianism with regards to how they approached racial hostilities really abhorrent.

Yep. I’m not a bipoc but I am Jewish. Antisemitism is still pretty rampant in the us, but I’m not going around telling people they’re antisemitic just because of their ethnicity.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
If you’re going to have a racism panel, try not to get a minority physician who says ridiculously racist things against whites while simultaneously claiming she has no bias or follow her up with a white physician whose only job is to tell the white people in the crowd that they are all racist whether they want to admit it or not. It just makes literally everyone in the crowd uncomfortable.
Here I thought those talks ended in undergrad. I'm a black guy and they make me uncomfortable, I am more interested in discussing actual plans to solve it than endless diagnosis.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here I thought those talks ended in undergrad. I'm a black guy and they make me uncomfortable, I am more interested in discussing actual plans to solve it than endless diagnosis.

We only had the one panel. We had another talk later that was optional, and it was very well done. Actual data, proposed solutions, encouraging discussion.

Reactions: 1 user
All biochem not in first aid will never matter. One could argue that different parts matter a little to different specialties. But if it’s not in first aid it just does not matter. Step/comlex has zero biochem from outside first aid. And it’s only a handful of questions anyway.
Does anything matter? Does Anatomy matter? Does Histology matter? Does physics matter? Does Calculus matter? I guess thats why the nurse practitioners are making inroads........... Does this mean we should just make this an on the job training? Read the Flexner report!!!
Flexner Report Here!

Let's stop the political detour and get back on track with the subject of the original post which was, what are the types of learning environments that you absolutely hate?

Let's stop the political detour and get back on track with the subject of the original post which was, what are the types of learning environments that you absolutely hate?

Well it wasn’t political. Nothing about not wanting to be called racist because of my skin color is political. And that’s the type of learning environment I hate, because it doesn’t promote learning or growth. It just demonstrates that bias is okay when it’s against the right people, which is not appropriate for a medical school to be teaching.

But to add to the conversation, some people hate the PBL environment. It can be good when it’s done right. I generally like the way it’s done here. What I don’t like is when we had mandatory small groups on topics, but the small group was essentially us just going through a PowerPoint. Like we could have done that on our own time as a guided exercise if you want it to be interactive, or even just a recorded lecture. Don’t waste our time making us sit in a room for 2 hours when I could get the same info in a more palatable way in 30 mins.

Hands-on shadowing. By that, I mean, shadowing where I am allowed to do stuff. But it's just a cherry on top of that whip cream that medical school is.

Other than that, plain simple traditional lectures work for me best. At our school we also have some mini 20 minute-video blocks about about 2-3 concepts. I like those.

Goro I know this isn't really addressing your question but maybe it will be useful. AnKing is a great Anki deck for step 1 but doesn't necessarily cover everything we need to know for certain disciplines like Anatomy or Histology and also of course doesn't cover school-specific material. My school goes super in-depth with Anatomy, and I would be absolutely failing it right now without an Anki deck put together by previous students at my school and maintained by the medical student society. Everyone I've spoken to in my class uses this specific deck, but it has a lot of issues since it was basically made by one person for themselves and then sort of adapted by a few others for general use.

In theory the medical school should have the resources to find someone who's familiar with spaced repetition and could work to create and maintain an Anki deck for Anatomy (for example), right? I feel like having someone at the school responsible for this would be better rather than relying on the kindness of previous students. I don't know exactly how this would work or if it would be feasible, but it just seems a bit silly to me that the primary learning tool I and many others use was developed by students and it seems like someone in a position to dedicate themselves to making a better deck would be able to do a better job than students putting something together in their free time. Maybe something to think about at least.

Does anything matter? Does Anatomy matter? Does Histology matter? Does physics matter? Does Calculus matter? I guess thats why the nurse practitioners are making inroads........... Does this mean we should just make this an on the job training? Read the Flexner report!!!
Flexner Report Here!
This is a nonsense position. Why would cutting some fluff we don’t ever use help NPs? Are you saying that if we cut out memorizing pka of different amino acids then that leads to NP autonomy?

This stuff is currently being taught and NPs are already making inroads.

Reactions: 3 users
Goro I know this isn't really addressing your question but maybe it will be useful. AnKing is a great Anki deck for step 1 but doesn't necessarily cover everything we need to know for certain disciplines like Anatomy or Histology and also of course doesn't cover school-specific material. My school goes super in-depth with Anatomy, and I would be absolutely failing it right now without an Anki deck put together by previous students at my school and maintained by the medical student society. Everyone I've spoken to in my class uses this specific deck, but it has a lot of issues since it was basically made by one person for themselves and then sort of adapted by a few others for general use.

In theory the medical school should have the resources to find someone who's familiar with spaced repetition and could work to create and maintain an Anki deck for Anatomy (for example), right? I feel like having someone at the school responsible for this would be better rather than relying on the kindness of previous students. I don't know exactly how this would work or if it would be feasible, but it just seems a bit silly to me that the primary learning tool I and many others use was developed by students and it seems like someone in a position to dedicate themselves to making a better deck would be able to do a better job than students putting something together in their free time. Maybe something to think about at least.
The trouble with this is that not all students like or can learn from a single resource. My school gives students a stipend to purchase the resource they need.

May I suggest this for you?

And spend as much time as you can with that cadaver!

The trouble with this is that not all students like or can learn from a single resource. My school gives students a stipend to purchase the resource they need.

May I suggest this for you?

And spend as much time as you can with that cadaver!
Some of my fondest memories from last year… alone in cadaver lab at 3:30am…

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
We had to act out the methionine cycle. I was homocysteine.

Sounds like a really valuable experience. Next, your professor should gather the whole student body and conduct a five-hour Shakespearean rendition of the Krebs cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
tell us more
Not much to tell :) Dissections had to be done before being graded. Some group members were slacking. Following the philosophy “If you want stuff done the way you prefer it - do it yourself” I spent nights picking through adipose tissue, getting things clean. Also, I’m a non-trad with kids so things sometimes have to be done at crazy hours.

One of my favorite ED docs once said “A-Fib, just imagine how few people get the privilege to do this - only medical students and serial killers…”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a really valuable experience. Next, your professor should gather the whole student body and conduct a five-hour Shakespearean rendition of the Krebs cycle.
We had a lecturer who (to illustrate pelvic anatomy) called 3 students to the front of the room to act as the bladder, uterus, and rectum. The guy who played the rectum was called "Famous Anus" for the rest of the year.

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
We had a lecturer who (to illustrate pelvic anatomy) called 3 students to the front of the room to act as the bladder, uterus, and rectum. The guy who played the rectum was called "Famous Anus" for the rest of the year.
SMH

I think the entire first two years should be optional attendance besides anything clinically related. At this point I know how I learn best and I’m pretty sure I can decide on my own what I’ll get benefit from attending and what I could learn better sitting at home studying for a couple hours. If I feel like I’m not getting a concept then at least I’ll have the option to attend something in person.

What are some of the most useless assessments that you have to take?

I'm talking quizzes, assignments, etc etc. Mandatory warm sessions you can skip. And please don't say all of them!
Everything that isn’t basic science. School (at least mine) is inflated with fluff. The science is enough to fill a full time schedule. Past that, the best the school can do is offer free time to the student. That would be the most a school can do for wellness, personal development, physical mental health, etc. even lecture should be optional.

which brings us to an interesting dilemma. Once lectures are optional, and theres no fluff, you realize the entire first two years of a med schools curriculum could be taught autodidactically (in maybe 1 year) through Pathoma, Sketchy, and Boards and Beyond. I really do think that soon more and more people will make this realization which will pose a problem for the institution of medical education in the US.

which brings us to an interesting dilemma. Once lectures are optional, and theres no fluff, you realize the entire first two years of a med schools curriculum could be taught autodidactically (in maybe 1 year) through Pathoma, Sketchy, and Boards and Beyond. I really do think that soon more and more people will make this realization which will pose a problem for the institution of medical education in the US.
Very much this.

In the age of the internet, 99% of what an academic needs to learn is available for FREE on the internet.

So what are we paying tuition for?

CURATION. Curation and delivery of that information is what educators have, and nothing else. Access to a physical library used to be a big deal, now it is meaningless. Curation is the product, and what we are learning is that there are individuals who can curate MUCH better than an academic. This should be causing a panic in the educational world (and I'm talking K-postgrad stuff).

Further, a proper application of AI could completely replace the entire institution of education. Imagine a system that tailored all educational pursuit to the learning styles of the student in real time, and showed them exactly what they needed, when they needed. Finding the best third party software/material (Anki, Pathoma, Sketchy, whatever) is a small example of this, but that could be taken to its logical endpoint fairly rapidly utilizing AI. THAT will be a disruptive product, and I only wish I was smart enough to create it.

Blog on the experience of being female in medicine + other resources.

CSCE assessment despite COMLEX PE being cancelled. CSCE is a practice PE you have to pass to graduate at my school. 60% of my class failed it and had to remediate and for what? theres no more PE! 60% of the class failed and do you think that 60% of the class failed their OSCEs during Clerkships? i freaking highly doubt that-so yes RowanSOMs system here is flawed and makes no sense. Just time consuming bs. Rant over! Also clerkships should be P/F and so should all preclinicals-no more grades it just stresses us out more than necessary. DO and MD schools should all take NBME shelves there shouldnt be comats at one school and NBMEs at others-there has to be standardization here. Goro u rock