Med Student Electives to prepare for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crewmaster1

Nattitwo
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year med student planning on applying to emergency medicine and I was wondering what 4th year electives would residents recommend to someonne who wants to go into EM?

So far I have heard stuff like Medicine Subinternship, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Derm, Ophtho, ER ultrasound, Cardiology....what are your thoughts.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

crewmaster1 said:
I'm a 3rd year med student planning on applying to emergency medicine and I was wondering what 4th year electives would residents recommend to someonne who wants to go into EM?

So far I have heard stuff like Medicine Subinternship, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Derm, Ophtho, ER ultrasound, Cardiology....what are your thoughts.

Thanks.

From my previous posts and questioning others, I've come up with this list for myself:

-Radiology
-Anesthesiology
-Cardiology
-Ortho
-ICU
-Plastics
-Pediatric ER
-Forensic Pathology

I would add Trauma and an ICU month, either MICU, SICU, or CCU. I don't know if Derm would be that helpful, not to mention how painful a month of Dermatology clinic would be. Ophtho might not be useful unless you get to see good deal of emergent cases, i.e. you won't get anything out of watching Lasik and cataract removals all day. I had the luxury of doing Cardiology as a 3rd year, but doing it as a senior would definitely be beneficial for EM. Maybe throw a month of Peds EM in the mix to give yourself a good education. Personally, my 4th year consists of: Adult EM, Peds EM, Anesthesia, Rads, Medicine sub-I, Outpatient medicine, and the rest BS electives/vacation.