Med Student CV for Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Some away programs I've looked at appear to require a CV from anyone applying for a rotation (a reasonable request). Does anyone have a template or guide on what to include? I've never been very good at making CVs (I'm challenged when it comes to things like this).

Members don't see this ad.

google doctor or M.D CV and there are few examples out there that you could replicate for your own, it should not be too different when you applied for med school

This is a pretty good guide http://www.susancraig.com/physicians/how_to_write.php
The only thing I would add to that guide is to add a section at the end (before references) which includes a list of any research projects you are currently involved in. The other part is that many people don't include a "personal" section that includes anything beyond how many are in your immediate family.

CVs for medical purposes are a bit different from other resumes (because you don't usually include your skills or special work habits or whatever).

Members don't see this ad :)
Some away programs I've looked at appear to require a CV from anyone applying for a rotation (a reasonable request). Does anyone have a template or guide on what to include? I've never been very good at making CVs (I'm challenged when it comes to things like this).
Here's one template.

Mine shows, in order

Name and contact info
Education (degree, institution, year)
Employment (job title, where, dates)
Awards (criteria [first place, best volunteer, etc], who awarded it, when)
Posters, Publications, Presentations (authors[with mine shown in the appropriate order]), title w/reference and/or where presented, when)
Thesis Work (My name, title w/relevant degree, when, where)
Conferences attended (name of conference, what host organization, where, year [this whole category is not really needed])

I put competitive fellowships, even ones relating to research or time in the lab, in the awards section. I've never added a "personal" section (not relvant) and I've never added a paragraph detailing current research projects (b/c there's nothing to show for it yet). I've not added a skills section (alone or with related employment) since I graduated college.

I'd keep it short and sweet. Obviously, every M3 has lots of things in their past that they could include, so it's not really impressive to have a laundry list of things you've done. Keep a few important items on there, but I'd make it succinct. And have someone proof it for you. I'm no pro, but I'd glance it over for you.

This is a pretty good guide http://www.susancraig.com/physicians/how_to_write.php
The only thing I would add to that guide is to add a section at the end (before references) which includes a list of any research projects you are currently involved in. The other part is that many people don't include a "personal" section that includes anything beyond how many are in your immediate family.

CVs for medical purposes are a bit different from other resumes (because you don't usually include your skills or special work habits or whatever).

This site said you could add letters behind your name if you've gotten them. Does anyone do this?

This site said you could add letters behind your name if you've gotten them. Does anyone do this?
I didn't. If the reader skims my education section, which is located right in the middle of the first page, they will easily be able to see that I went to grad school twice before med school. The schools and degrees are listed in reverse order (most recent school/degree first), so it would be pretty tough to miss that I have an MS and PhD unless they didn't read my CV at all. :)

OP, here are the sections I included in order of presentation. The ones in bold should always be included, and the rest are optional:

-Name, contact info
-Research Interests (just one line, not necessary for people who aren't interested in research careers)
-Education (in reverse order, including name of college or university, city and state where the school is located, degree earned, graduation date, major, thesis title if applicable). Some people include GPAs too, but I decided not to do that since I don't have a college GPA, and it's not something I want to get into explaining on my CV!
-Licensure/Certifications (only if you have something relevant)
-Professional Affiliations (only if you have something relevant)
-Professional/Relevant Experience (only if you have something relevant)
-Publications (definitely include this section if you have anything; otherwise leave it out)
-Posters Presented (same as publications)
-Honors and Awards (same as publications and posters--I only listed post-secondary awards)

I didn't. If the reader skims my education section, which is located right in the middle of the first page, they will easily be able to see that I went to grad school twice before med school. The schools and degrees are listed in reverse order (most recent school/degree first), so it would be pretty tough to miss that I have an MS and PhD unless they didn't read my CV at all. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I also hate writing the same thing twice unnecessarily, so that solves that problem too.

I don't, and like Q said, your education section should cover it anyways.

...-Name, contact info
-Research Interests (just one line, not necessary for people who aren't interested in research careers)
-Education (in reverse order, including name of college or university, city and state where the school is located, degree earned, graduation date, major, thesis title if applicable). Some people include GPAs too, but I decided not to do that since I don't have a college GPA, and it's not something I want to get into explaining on my CV!...
I left this out. OP, do things in reverse chronological order. The most recent stuff is the most relevant anyways. Add in summa cum laude, magna cum laude if you earned it, here too.

...-Licensure/Certifications (only if you have something relevant)...
I left this out as well. The "Liscensure" section allows you to put in a good USMLE score if you have one, and it lets you highlight previous professional experience/liscences (e.g. a P.E.).

Q - I'll have 2 theses by the time I'm done - I just created a different section and noted the degrees I wrote them for. That way I saved valuable space on my front page. What's your reasoning for keeping them with the degree?

I left this out. OP, do things in reverse chronological order. The most recent stuff is the most relevant anyways. Add in summa cum laude, magna cum laude if you earned it, here too.
You left out education? Don't you think that's an essential section to include???
Q - I'll have 2 theses by the time I'm done - I just created a different section and noted the degrees I wrote them for. That way I saved valuable space on my front page. What's your reasoning for keeping them with the degree?
I'll have four. :p

I don't always include them. It's mainly for research-oriented submissions where the reader wants to know about the applicant's research background. In that case, I also list my research work experience. Not all of my research experiences resulted in pubs or even posters, so that info isn't all covered elsewhere. On the other hand, sometimes you have CV page limits, and in that case I'd probably take them off. If you're applying for something totally clinical, it's also not necessary to include them. I guess I should have mentioned in my previous post that tailoring CVs appropriately for your audience is important. Not every reader will be interested in every item you could include on a full CV.

I never thought of putting my USMLE score on my CV. Is that a common thing for people to do? Step 1 isn't really a licensing exam all by itself, so I'm not sure why it would be relevant to include it. Presumably once you've graduated from med school and started residency, wouldn't it be understood that you must have passed Steps 1 and 2? And if you're licensed, then it would definitely be clear that you've passed all three steps. Outside of residency PDs, who will already have your Step 1 (and possibly Step 2) score anyway, who else do you think would be interested in knowing what you scored on any of the steps beyond that you passed?

You left out education? Don't you think that's an essential section to include???
Ha Ha. No, I was referring to the order of listing items. :laugh:

...I guess I should have mentioned in my previous post that tailoring CVs appropriately for your audience is important. Not every reader will be interested in every item you could include on a full CV...
I get you. And this is another point - tailor the CV to your audience. I recently applied to a research fellowship, and I changed "Employment Experience" to "Research Experience," and shifted some items accordingly to highlight it.

...I never thought of putting my USMLE score on my CV. Is that a common thing for people to do? Step 1 isn't really a licensing exam all by itself, so I'm not sure why it would be relevant to include it. Presumably once you've graduated from med school and started residency, wouldn't it be understood that you must have passed Steps 1 and 2? And if you're licensed, then it would definitely be clear that you've passed all three steps. Outside of residency PDs, who will already have your Step 1 (and possibly Step 2) score anyway, who else do you think would be interested in knowing what you scored on any of the steps beyond that you passed?
In some ways I agree with your thoughts. But you, I, and the OP, aren't through med school yet. So we have to show how we stand out: rank, grades/AOA, and Step scores. Assuming that this is not shown elsewhere on your application.

I have been told that Step scores I-III still figure into fellowship apps, strangely enough. Check the IM fellow forums for more.

I'd keep it short and sweet. Obviously, every M3 has lots of things in their past that they could include, so it's not really impressive to have a laundry list of things you've done. Keep a few important items on there, but I'd make it succinct. And have someone proof it for you. I'm no pro, but I'd glance it over for you.

I'm currently a 3rd year medical student in a non-US medical school. I just made my CV, mind proof-reading it for me? Can I send it to you directly?

The other part is that many people don't include a "personal" section that includes anything beyond how many are in your immediate family.

Please don't include a 'personal' section like this - it's none of your future employer's business if you have kids etc. They are specifically prevented from asking about this at interviews for a reason. If you feel like bringing it up in person, that's fine, but it doesn't belong on your CV.

Edit: Nevermind, this is a pretty old thread!

I know this thread is old and hope it's all right to revive it; I found some of the responses very useful, but some of the links no longer work. Namely, these were links kindly provided with templates of CVs (http://www.susancraig.com/physicians/how_to_write.php and https://www.aamc.org/members/facultydev/facultyvitae/fall05/cv.htm ). I was wondering if maybe someone would have a more current, working link for this sort of thing?

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Microsoft Office (the newer versions) have some templates you can use with nice formatting already done. Just have to type in your info.

My cv template is as follows:
Name, address, email address
Education - school, degree, year
Awards
Research - projects, dates, PI, school/department
Presentations - posters/grand rounds, etc. what/when/where
Publications
Activities - relevant to medical school, officer positions
Professional society memberships