Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a non-traditional student finishing up an SMP and will be applying to med schools this cycle. I have a very specific goal for my medical career and am trying to find schools that have specific tracks concerning health disparities here in the US. So far I've found Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, Michigan, and Dell all have tracks that focus on addressing health disparities. From my research, there are a lot of programs that have global health tracks, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Also, I am absolutely sure I don't want to do the MD/MPH route as it doesn't really fit into my timeline considering being a non-trad and all. It has been painstaking to find the schools I have, so in short, is there some sort of resource that can help me locate more schools with this type of track or overall focus on health disparities, and if not could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
I don't know that such a resource exists. Clearly, if a school has a well-advertised and regarded MD/MPH program then you might imagine that such a school could be a good place for you to target.

That said... it's great that you have a great idea in mind for your medical career. If you have a very strong app where you can get into any of these highly competitive schools, then good for you. But a medical degree is very versatile, and chances are that as long as you get in *somewhere* that you can find a way to pursue this goal.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice, I think that'll be a good lead to follow. I don't anticipate being competitive at some of the more top-tier schools, but think I'll be able to find a home in a mid to upper-mid range school.
Totally agree with the above. With a MD/DO you can practice however you want and don’t necessarily need a special track.

I agree that nowadays every medical school has some focus on health care disparities, so the question is how you intend to use that focus for your career? Is it for a more academic credential for a career in public health? How about a special clerkship or a thesis? Find out what these tracks are about, what the expectations are, and what the student outcomes are. Does getting that rural health track get you anywhere in the match?

Status
Not open for further replies.