Med schools that like to give URM scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarletgirl777

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any? I've heard Duke was one, but that's all.

Members don't see this ad.

Vanderbilt--full tuition scholarships

I just learned that Baylor does the same.

For Duke, the scholarships are for NC URM residents; but their financial aid package is very good.

Reactions: 1 user
Vanderbilt--full tuition scholarships

I just learned that Baylor does the same.

For Duke, the scholarships are for NC URM residents; but their financial aid package is very good.

When I applied, I was offered scholarships from:

Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, Drew/UCLA, Keck-USC, and Harvard :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey Voltron, thanks! To clarify, I'm specifically looking for schools that use money to reach out specifically to URMs--like diversity scholarships at undergrad level. Given that my numbers aren't stratospheric, I just wanted to distinguish between that and merit scholarships, particularly if people are referring to top schools.

Hey Voltron, thanks! To clarify, I'm specifically looking for schools that use money to reach out specifically to URMs--like diversity scholarships at undergrad level. Given that my numbers aren't stratospheric, I just wanted to distinguish between that and merit scholarships, particularly if people are referring to top schools.

The scholarships I am referring to were for URM's but they are based on a URM's grades, LOR's and entire application! Best of luck to you!!!!

Really?! Wow! I've gotten into UCSF and Drew/UCLA (waiting to hear from Geffen) and would LOVE a scholarship offer from them! Did they tend to give them out closer to May 15?

AECOM supposedly gives you a scholarship so that it is at least half-price (tuition) if you are black or Hispanic.

AECOM supposedly gives you a scholarship so that it is at least half-price (tuition) if you are black or Hispanic.

Ok, so just being really real here, are there a lot of black/hispanic people at AECOM, given that it's part of an orthodox Jewish university???

Ok, so just being really real here, are there a lot of black/hispanic people at AECOM, given that it's part of an orthodox Jewish university???

I think 60% of students are Jewish and a much less percentage of them are orthodox (~20%). The black students I cornered there seem to be genuinely happy. I think its also because the surround communities are more diverse and NYC in general is a lot more diverse. This was one of my top three choices, actually. It just came down to $$ in the end.

Unfortunately, there aren't really a significant amount of black/Hispanics at ANY med school except the HBCUs, so the numbers probably aren't very different between AECOM and Columbia for instance.

I think 60% of students are Jewish and a much less percentage of them are orthodox (~20%). The black students I cornered there seem to be genuinely happy. I think its also because the surround communities are more diverse and NYC in general is a lot more diverse. This was one of my top three choices, actually. It just came down to $$ in the end.

Unfortunately, there aren't really a significant amount of black/Hispanics at ANY med school except the HBCUs, so the numbers probably aren't very different between AECOM and Columbia for instance.

I feel like at least with the top schools they work hard to have a representative number. HMS, for instance, is 13% Black. But I know it's unrealistic to expect parity--I just might not necessarily want to be somewhere where I'm one of, say, 5. :)

Does anyone know of any? I've heard Duke was one, but that's all.
Most if not all medical schools have an office of diversity and actively recruit qualified URMs. You should contact the diversity office at each of the schools you are thinking about applying to and discuss how best to strengthen your application with them. You can also find out about scholarships that may be available to you. Best of :luck: to you. :)

WFUSOM. Merit plus URM equals $$$$.

Doesn't U-Chicago give a lot of scholarships in general?

Generally I don't see UChicago on the list of schools that people applied/apply to.