Med school vs. pa school. suggestions?

Strudel19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently accepted into a 5 year BS/MS PA program. Great program. Starting salary in the area I live will be about 80-90K, and I'll have little to no debt, as I got a big scholarship to go here.

I was previously considering med school, but mainly only because of the autonomy and the leadership that comes along with it. The ONLY reason I'd choose to be an MD over PA is power, and honestly, I can put my ego aside.

In my mind, the PA school sounds like the much better option. Great salary, good hospitals lined up after graduation, very very low debt, and I'll be working in health care still. It's more friendly toward military healthcare, as I can start working younger. I'm hoping I don't regret not going all the way to MD, but I guess I could always go back to med school if I really wanted. Suggestions on what path to take? Is becoming an MD worth it only for the power?

Members don't see this ad.

Recently accepted into a 5 year BS/MS PA program. Great program. Starting salary in the area I live will be about 80-90K, and I'll have little to no debt, as I got a big scholarship to go here.

I was previously considering med school, but mainly only because of the autonomy and the leadership that comes along with it. The ONLY reason I'd choose to be an MD over PA is power, and honestly, I can put my ego aside.

In my mind, the PA school sounds like the much better option. Great salary, good hospitals lined up after graduation, very very low debt, and I'll be working in health care still. It's more friendly toward military healthcare, as I can start working younger. I'm hoping I don't regret not going all the way to MD, but I guess I could always go back to med school if I really wanted. Suggestions on what path to take? Is becoming an MD worth it only for the power?
Wow, that's a pretty great deal if you ask me; low/no debt and you'll have little trouble finding a job. If you were an older applicant (35+?) I'd say def stick with the pa program because of the opportunity cost but you're just getting out of high school so I'd say really think about it during college and explore the field through clinical volunteering and shadowing. You are definitely in no hurry to pick and choose now.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me I would take such an opportunity in a heart beat.
It's only 5 years vs 12-15 years you have coming up. A great job and salary lined up for you in the field you want to be in as soon as you graduate. You'll gain a lot of experience, knowledge and little to no debt it nice.
It all sounds nice of paper, and in my head lol

Then again, you will get to miss out on the full traditional college experience and volunteering/shadowing and exploring all the different classes and fields.

If your really unsure my advice is to maybe wait it out, explore your likes/dislike and pro's/con's of all of your opportunities.

Or you can go through with it and like you said before you could always go back to medical school if you wanted to.
On the bright side you would be a bit ahead of most med student because you've already taken similar classes and have the on field experience/knowledge most fresh med student's don't have.

I am a doctor. I like being a physician most of the time, but if I were in your situation, I'd do the PA program.

I graduated med school with about $250,000 in debt. As a resident, I make half of what you listed as a PA salary even though I'm older than you'll be when you're done with this program. Obviously, you can do the math and see that your PA option is a fantastic opportunity from a financial perspective.

So, yeah, if being called "Dr." or feeling like the buck stops with you is a BIG deal to you, maybe being a doctor is worth the hassle and sacrifice for you. However, if you are comfortable with less autonomy, there is nothing wrong with being a PA.
Another bonus of being a PA is that it's a lot easier to work in different specialties as a PA, while doctors don't have that flexibility. Most doctors only do one residency. Sometimes you might do two residencies if you're very highly motivated to change specialties (in other words, realize you truly hate it!) AND another specialty is willing to take you, but the whole process is a lot harder for a doctor.
I don't regret becoming a doctor. It's a good career, more intellectually satisfying than many others. However, it's definitely not an easy road. If you can picture yourself being happy as a PA, I think that's the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
I was once in the same position not that long ago. I held acceptances to a 5-year PA program (very highly ranked) and a combined medical program. I looked into it and decided that I wanted to pursue MD/DO, no matter how tempting the immediate gratification of being a PA may be.

Obviously, the best part about being a PA is that it's only 5 years (accelerated programs) in comparison to a minimum of 11 for most doctors. However, the first four years are largely yours to explore whatever academic interests you have. Even though I'm a pre-med, I'm majoring in Spanish. This would not have been possible in the 5-year PA program.

Another thing that you must consider is the salary gap between physicians and PA's. In any field of medicine, the average doctor will make two to three times more than the average PA who works in the same speciality. This may not seem like a big deal as 80-100k is a lot of money, but in the end, you may be doing "85%" of the work a doctor does for half of the pay.

Hours also may not be as different as you think. Many PA's on the forums report working similar (if not more) hours when compared to their supervising physicians. I remember a reputable poster stating that in his ER group, PA's are assigned more shifts than physicians. Yet in his group, PA's make 2-3 times less than what physicians make.

I saw you mentioned that you can always go back. That's true, but honestly, will it actually happen? Depending on what science courses your program requires you to take (I know the program I was accepted to didn't require physics or organic chemistry), you might have to go back and complete some basic science courses before you could even apply. Trying to remember other sciences like biology and chemistry might make studying for the MCAT difficult too.

Med school and residency would take a minimum of six (w/ LECOM bridge program)/seven additional years. Let's do the math. If you're a PA-C making $100,000 a year and you miss out on seven years of income, that's a loss of $700,000 and an addition of at least $100,000 of student loan debt. While it isn't impossible to go back to school (several SDN members have), it certainly is not easy.

Autonomy is another point. Although your autonomy greatly varies depending on state laws (i.e. up until a few years ago, DO's in my state couldn't supervise PA's) and your individual experience, you will always have a supervising physician. Unfortunately, this means that technically, you could be a PA-C with 40 years of experience finding yourself supervised by a 29 year-old attending.

One of the coolest things about being a PA is that you can work in any speciality. More recently though, it seems like this flexibility is slowly declining. Right now, PA's and NP's both have residencies in almost every speciality. Not too long ago, SDN freaked out when a DNP dermatology residency popped up in Florida. As these become more commonplace, states/insurance companies might begin to require residencies to new PA's to practice or bill.

So I guess what you really need to consider is if you'd be happy being a PA. If you are looking to simply shortcut becoming a doctor, I wouldn't recommend it as I don't think you'll see yourself being happy as one. If you truly understand the limitations of being a PA and genuinely want to become one, then give it a go. Just know what exactly what you're getting into, either MD or PA.

What power...? Can I fly after I become a MD?

You seem to be set on your decision. Go do PA. Doctors become doctors to have more responsibilties taking care of patients and not be stuck with the simple stuff that PA and nurses deal with. Personally I chose MD and not PA because i didn't like the word Assistant in PA.

And another reason you should go PA is because you don't know you can get into a MD program.

What power...? Can I fly after I become a MD?

You seem to be set on your decision. Go do PA. Doctors become doctors to have more responsibilties taking care of patients and not be stuck with the simple stuff that PA and nurses deal with. Personally I chose MD and not PA because i didn't like the word Assistant in PA.

And another reason you should go PA is because you don't know you can get into a MD program.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'd go the PA route, the money is great as is the next to nothing tuition and 5 year program with a masters. Plus you'll get a great feel for if you like medicine or not, then with your first hand experiences and knowledge should you decide you really want to get that MD, you can just go do it at that point and be pretty damn sure it's the right choice. Finally, I have trouble believing any doc would advise you to take the MD option right off the bat if all you wanted was power and/or money.

Best of luck with whichever route you take.

If you have both an MD and PA school acceptance in hand, I will advice that you pursue the MD route.

I really appreciate the help guys. I'll be missing the "true college experience", that's for sure. The campus is pretty boring, it isn't anything gorgeous to look at, outdated facilities, and the dorms aren't very nice. But career wise, the end result will be good.

Question: Is it wrong to base part of your college choice on food and other small things? At Lyman Briggs at MSU I'll get unlimited food (awesome), classes in my residence hall, weight rooms (awesome), and music practice rooms (I play trumpet). I'd get none of that at Detroit Mercy.