Med school in europe, practice in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGonz

Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just now begun looking into going to medical school in europe. I am from US, and i am applying to US school as well, but I would really like to go to europe for a while and thought that med school would be a great opportunity to do this. But, my question is how hard is it to go through med school in europe and then come back to US to practice? what are the basics of trying to get into med school in europe (ex: MCAT for US, All the undergrad studies) Is all of these basically the same? I wouldlike to try to go to the UK. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Each requirement is different. It is possible, although getting more competitive to go back to the US, depending what specialty.

Common European schools to go to are in Ireland and Poland. There will be programs who will not interview you, not even if you have good scores, if you are an FMG.

Different schools have different requirements regarding MCAT. Just google any medical school in the UK you are interested in and see their requirements.

Any progress on this? WHere are you thinking of going?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a bad idea to go abroad, if you even have the option of staying here for school. It might be hard to get a residency. Read threads on the "general residency issues" and Caribbean forums to read about some of the difficulties people have in getting and keeping a residency after not graduating from US schools. The US med schools are expanding their class sizes too, and nobody knows if residencies will expand or not in the coming years, so it might be harder in the future for people who trained abroad to get a residency spot.

I have met several folks who went to Trinity in Ireland.

HI Dr Gonz

I m studying medicine abroad and I am planning to take the medical exams of U.S.A..... I m on the 1st year of medicine.It is not so hard.... the team is good........... However I will move to Kosice Medical University - Pavol Jozef Safarik University - Currently the best and the most popular Medical University in EU in Slovakia. You can chekc it on this link http://www.studiesineurope.com/en/sk_kos_main.html - My friends have told me that they are having very good teaching system which can be useful for you if you would like to pass this exam. Moreover they are very practical and effective.

Referring to your suggestion U.K and medicine..... I will not recommend it – I have met some persons who didn't like it and have moved the Eastern Europe.

So coming back to your questions and worries.... I would not be afraid of it.... I mean Europe has excellent recommendation and you can use it back home. You may also stay here if you would like to. The society of international students can be advantages.

Moreover in Kosice Uni you can do the last year in your country which is a plus if you would like to return. I am planning to do it.

Well I hope I can help you – if you would like to know smth more please let me know.

To apply is easy just the entrance exam and you shall also present the certificate of 12 grades.

cheeers,
Yola

Last edited:
What is the "most popular" medical school in the EU ranking based on?

European medical schools really aren't ranked per se (with the exception of the UK ones) because pretty much most of the schools are quite competitive to get into. Of course, there are some which have been long established and have produced amazing doctors...but if you have seen any ranking of the school, then perhaps the following criteria might have been used:

1) Curriculum
2) Professors
3) University environment (including the teaching hospitals)
4) International contacts (bilateral student exchange agreements)
5) Research

Social life and other aspects (like extracurricular aspects) are not really considered in Europe (and even in several medical schools in the US). Also tuition is not a big deal as most of the Western European medical schools are free.

Hi Slight365,

This opinion is made mostly by the students. A lot of them after analysing the offers of the eastern universities are willing to change their current Unis. The University in Kosice has very good reputation. I have heard that they are having very good team to teach students etc.

I know a lot of students who have moved from the Medical University in Budapest to the Medical University in Kosice.

I agree with Sherypete about the rankings. They are taking into consideration all the aspects he mentioned. However these are the details that are needed for the official statistics which are not always a mirror view of what students are looking for.

What I would like to point out is the real opinion about the Universities. It is really important. In my opinion it shall come direct from the students since they are there for 5-6 years and they can make an opinion about the real performance of the Uni based on the reality not on the data written in documents.

Regards
Yola

Is this a good university with good recognition...i have a seat to study dentistry this year and would like to find out some more information about how good the uni is.

thanks

I study medicine at the English program in Poznan, Poland and we have alot of Americans and Canadiens in the 4MD, 6MD and Pharm. programs. It ranked the best medical school in Poland 4 times since year 2000 (out of at least 13-14 med. schools).

The thing that is pretty good for the Americans that want to practice in the US is that we actually have the American NBME exams that the school buyes from the States and have the students take. The tests are then sent back to the US which correct them and send the results back.

Its also based soley on the US medical curriculum with the same books you would use in the US.

From what I know, PUMS is one of the very few medical schools in Europe that are recognized by the state of California. Which is supposed to have the highest standard for allowing foreign lisenced doctors to practice.

I'm not a school/adm. office rep. btw. I am starting the third year of the 6MD program this fall :)

I study medicine at the English program in Poznan, Poland and we have alot of Americans and Canadiens in the 4MD, 6MD and Pharm. programs. It ranked the best medical school in Poland 4 times since year 2000 (out of at least 13-14 med. schools).

The thing that is pretty good for the Americans that want to practice in the US is that we actually have the American NBME exams that the school buyes from the States and have the students take. The tests are then sent back to the US which correct them and send the results back.

Its also based soley on the US medical curriculum with the same books you would use in the US.

From what I know, PUMS is one of the very few medical schools in Europe that are recognized by the state of California. Which is supposed to have the highest standard for allowing foreign lisenced doctors to practice.

I'm not a school/adm. office rep. btw. I am starting the third year of the 6MD program this fall :)

Hi Simmy,

I have read couple of your threads and very intresting. Is the 6 yr english program taught completly in english all through 6 yrs? Are students in Poznan provided with free Polish language classes or how do you guys learn Polish?
I am looking into Poznan, Charles 1st, Kuanas in Lithuania. So what are your thoughts?
My son completing grade 12 in Australia (Canadian citizen) and very much interested in medicine. Could you please respond?
Thanks!

Hello,

I'm Czech, so I can answer something about the Czech Republic, the med schools here are all 6 year long, with no need to attend the college first (in the Czech paralell, the kids come straight from high school, in the English parallel, it varies), the Charles 1st is one of the best and hardest med school in Europe.
There are other universities offering English education , e.g. The Masaryk University of Brno and Palacky University of Olomouc, but Charles the 1st is most prestigeous and better recognisable wordwide.
All education is in English, but students are required to take basic Czech course, the univeristies offer housing and cafeteria (both lunches and dinners).

Hi Simmy,

I have read couple of your threads and very intresting. Is the 6 yr english program taught completly in english all through 6 yrs? Yes

Are students in Poznan provided with free Polish language classes or how do you guys learn Polish? Yes, for three semesters, but to be honest very few to non actually learn fluent polish as it is very hard to learn and a big load of more "important" subjects that takes the focus away from polish classes

I am looking into Poznan, Charles 1st, Kuanas in Lithuania. So what are your thoughts? To be honest I would go to Poland to either Krakow or Poznan as they are starting to build up a better international reputation and Poznan also offers the necessary NBME's to go back to the US as well as it is aproved in the state of California.

My son completing grade 12 in Australia (Canadian citizen) and very much interested in medicine. Could you please respond?
Thanks!

Sorry for the late respons :)