Med School Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOtally great

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :D Whats the format of the exams in med school? multiple choice? fill ins? if there are many, what format is seen more often... thanx :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

They are all almost exclusively multiple choice.

I found I did much better in medical school than I did in college, possibly for that fact... I am a very good multiple choice test-taker.

Q

:) :) :)

Biochem must be so much easier with multiple choice lol cuz orgo was a pain in the a$$ w/o mult choi

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hazard to guess that just about all med schools use the MC format. The idea being to emulate the format used for the boards. In fact, many professors at my school take exam questions directly from board series review books. Practicals make up a significant percentage of the clinical courses. Every now and then we'll have a mini report to write or a presentation we have to give on something like a congenital birth defect during a course like the Repro system. But that is rare.

We are inundated with K-type questions. You know, 1 and 3 only, 2 and 4 only, 1 2 and 3 only...etc, etc. Probably 25% of our tests are K-type (ugh).

MC doesnt mean its gonna be easier =) but id rather have most of the info that i learned ON the paper then and there instead of picking out the info and making sense of it from all of the spaghetti (facts) in my mind lollol =) :clap: :clap: :clap:
How are the labs? are they really 4 hours long.. my goodness ewwww
How many classes do you take each term?

Our exams are all multuple choice as well. We do have some of the K type questions......I really hate those. But the good news is that those kind are not on boards.

As far as labs go, at UHS we have two hours of OPP every Monday, and 1.5-2 hours of Intro to Clinical Medicine on most Thursdays. Anatomy lab various, depending on the section we are in. We dont have any anatomy in our first or third section of the first year.

To answer about the number of classes, we are a system-based school, so we just have four lectures from 8-12 every day. To compare it to undergrad, one guy in my class calculated it and it comes out to about 25 hours per semester, with grad level material

Chris

Most are MC... exceptions are practical exams for anatomy, histology, and neuro, where you fill in the blank... and there were some wild cards from the biochem folks, like matching and fill in the blank... but I hold no grudges..