Med/Peds vs. PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeaseyeknowit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a fourth year medical student that is still somewhat oscillating between PM&R vs. Med/Peds. I realize that it is starting to get late in the game but I am having a lot of trouble trying to decide on which I think would be the "better" decision.

The aspects of PM&R that appeal to me include the opportunity to work with some really sick patients and a lot of really healthy patients, do more than simply stabilize patients or throw meds at them, the holistic outlook, the opportunity to do procedures, the lifestyle, the overall philosophy.
The aspects of Med/Peds that appeal to me include the wide variety of issues, a very solid knowledge-base in the fundamentals of medicine, the ability to work with some really cute & awesome children (some really sick and some really healthy; less common with Peds PM&R), the realization that you will see any population and can truly prevent so much for them and overall, just having a solid foundation in acute and chronic diseases.

I really seem to enjoy both and am still troubled in trying to choose one. I think when all is said and done, I really enjoy PM&R but the two things that seem to be lacking in it include few interactions with kids that may be fairly healthy / not severely impaired, and not as strong of a grasp on the fundamental important aspects of medicine. However, Med/Peds seems to have a slightly less holistic approach and less options for procedures.

Please share with me if you think one of the above is untrue or why you would decide PM&R over Med/Peds. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.