Med/peds residency w/ strong global health component

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmibrc

full on
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

MS3 here. I'm looking for med/peds residencies that have strong global health components/ opportunities. And I'm not talking about those programs that say "Hey we do a yearly trip to (insert desired "developing country" name of choice). We do global health!" those are myriad. I'm talking programs where the med/peds residents have direct access or the possibility of direct access to a global health program that has an established partnership somewhere, preferably one with options for an MPH or other advanced degree and funding for extended time abroad. I wish Montefiore had med/peds, their social medicine residency is outstanding. Examples that come to mind are Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Brown. I know Tulane is strong in global health and social medicine, but I don't know how strong their med/peds is.

mrmibrc

Members don't see this ad.

An anonymous person just gave me this tip:

If you're interested in med/peds and global health, you might want to check out Baylor College of Medicine. One of the largest med/peds programs (8 per year I think), and the pediatrics residency has an option for a four year peds/global health residency, where the resident spends a year at one of Baylor's affiliates in Africa.

http://www.bcm.edu/pediatrics/housestaff/index.cfm?pmid=19125

Global health is pretty popular with M-P folks.

The trouble is that, although everyone wants to do global health, it's at the expense of your education. There aren't many electives months in M-P compared to categoricals as you try to squeeze in the ACGME requirements for inpatient wards months, ICU months, 3mo of NICU etc.. There's no shortage of global health opportunities to occupy you after residency, but there aren't many opportunities to do elective rotations in cards, pulm, GI, ID and so on after residency. You've got limited time to learn lots of stuff that might end up being useful to you.

Baylor for sure. Indiana has some stuff set up too if I recall. UCSD. Minnesota.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

MS3 here. I'm looking for med/peds residencies that have strong global health components/ opportunities. And I'm not talking about those programs that say "Hey we do a yearly trip to (insert desired "developing country" name of choice). We do global health!" those are myriad. I'm talking programs where the med/peds residents have direct access or the possibility of direct access to a global health program that has an established partnership somewhere, preferably one with options for an MPH or other advanced degree and funding for extended time abroad. I wish Montefiore had med/peds, their social medicine residency is outstanding. Examples that come to mind are Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Brown. I know Tulane is strong in global health and social medicine, but I don't know how strong their med/peds is.

mrmibrc

I interviewed at quite a few places; initially I thought that I definitely wanted a program that had a very structured global health program. As I went through interview season that became less important to me.

That being said, the places that stood out to me global health-wise were Minnesota, Indiana, Baylor, UPenn and Duke. UCSD (partnership with Mozambique) and Brown (partnership with Kenya) have decent opportunities for international health as well, but I just don't put them at the same level as the first group as far as institutional support and faculty. I didn't interview at either of the Harvard programs.

Of note about Hopkins, they are definitely strong as far as underserved populations given med-peds follows the urban health track. They say up front though that it is extremely difficult to do anything abroad. Almost all elective time is taken up by the urban health electives.

The only program I came across that had the option for a MPH within the four years of residency of UI-Chicago.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Ashmarj! That's very helpful. Urban health is of major interest to me as well.

Hi, I'm interested in Global Health too, I'm italian, resident in Public Health. My thesis was on Global Health courses in Italy. I would ask you if you can give me some informations about global health courses in you University and in your country too?
Thanks a lot

BUMP:
Considering if I'm going to apply to any more programs. I've done 20 so far. Any suggestions?:idea:

BUMP:
Considering if I'm going to apply to any more programs. I've done 20 so far. Any suggestions?:idea:

Where have you applied to thus far? Can't really add any if we don't know the original list...

As ashmarj said, the only opportunity for an MPH I know if is at UIC. U of Chicago has a global health initiative and Medical College of Wisconsin also has a global health track. I think these mostly consist of monthly lectures, journal clubs, and special electives