Med/Peds Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loca Dr. chica

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying for the 2009 match and have not yet submitted my application (I know it's pretty late...I'm on it). So I only recently seriously thought about Med/Peds and would have to get Peds recommendations to apply to even a few programs. I'm interested in mostly doing hospitalist (if I stick w/ general) or subspecialty medicine and would like to treat kids and adults as long as I can. I'm also interested in doing international health. I have noticed that Med/Peds programs have a large outpatient component. Is it wise to 1) apply this late for med/peds, 2) can I set up interviews for categorical spots within a day or 2 of med/peds interviews, 3) can I make at least 200k in a big city doing med/peds hospitalist? I'm not all about the money or anything by any means, but I would like to get my exorbitant debt paid off, live comfortably in a potential high cost-of-living city, and do some philanthropy/international work and possibly academics. A lot of my attendings/residents have said that it is hard to even break a 100k in California, so I'm curious to know whether this is really true. I know this is a little late, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm applying for the 2009 match and have not yet submitted my application (I know it's pretty late...I'm on it). So I only recently seriously thought about Med/Peds and would have to get Peds recommendations to apply to even a few programs. I'm interested in mostly doing hospitalist (if I stick w/ general) or subspecialty medicine and would like to treat kids and adults as long as I can. I'm also interested in doing international health. I have noticed that Med/Peds programs have a large outpatient component. Is it wise to 1) apply this late for med/peds, 2) can I set up interviews for categorical spots within a day or 2 of med/peds interviews, 3) can I make at least 200k in a big city doing med/peds hospitalist? I'm not all about the money or anything by any means, but I would like to get my exorbitant debt paid off, live comfortably in a potential high cost-of-living city, and do some philanthropy/international work and possibly academics. A lot of my attendings/residents have said that it is hard to even break a 100k in California, so I'm curious to know whether this is really true. I know this is a little late, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1. You would probably get some interviews if you get a peds letter to supplement your application, of course it is a little later than many have applied for med/peds and it is going to take a while for the letter be uploaded so maybe you will get a return of 25-30% invitations versus perhaps 75% if you were earlier, just a guess really though. But if you have Step 2 CK done then I think that is a big help, especially with a good score.

2. A big question is applying for med/peds AND say peds or IM at the same hospital . . . I have seen PDs who don't like this at all. But same region of the country, sure, no problem.

3. Realize that med/peds is an extra-year in length, i.e. four years, and also two of those years are internship years which are hard. So, you would lose one year of physician income towards paying off your debt as you would be in residency another year. Also realize that doing med-peds requires you to stay current in both pediatrics and medicine and paying for board certification in both. I don't think med/peds physicians have a huge difference in pay compared to say a straight IM hospitalist. I think that family medicine and med/peds mesh well with international health, but so does straight IM or Peds if that is what you want to do.

Did you recently do your pediatrics core? (Seems like you were focused on doing categorical IM)? Just curious.

I apologize in advance, but I have a lot of problems with your advice PalmOlive. As a Med-Peds intern who is now on the other side of the process and have exchanged stories with my fellow colleagues, I think I have a different side of things. Loca Dr. Chica, it is never too late to apply to programs until the match list is officially submitted. PDs understand that this is a very stressful time in your life as you are now at a juncture where you have to make a life-altering decision. This is especially hard with the minimal exposure you have had to all specialties and ESPECIALLY Med-Peds. Most people are lucky if they have any exposure to Med-Peds whether working with a resident or an attending or rotating through Med-Peds clinic.

It sounds like you are a PERFECT candidate for Med-Peds especially with your international focus, so I wouldn't lose hope about getting interviews. Submit your application as soon as you can and get to those letter writers soon. As long as you have letters in by Nov 1 with the Dean's letter, you are golden--trust me, I didn't have one of my Chair's letter in until October 30th (not my fault) and I still got great interviews and am at a fabulous program. And if you don't hear back from the top program, contact them politely to show your enthusiasm. PDs are VERY busy and while this process is the most important thing in your life right now, it is not for them. My PD has not even LOOKED at any applications yet. So a friendly reminder never hurts.

I know plenty of people who interviewed for MULTIPLE programs including Med-Peds and the categoricals. Any good PD is not going to factor that into their decision, they are only going to judge you by the quality of your candidacy and if you really provide a good explanation in your PS and on interviews as to why Med-Peds is the fit for you. I will say that some of the categorical and Med-Peds interviews overlap because now being on the resident-side, the interview days are about putting on a show and you want to put on the least amount of shows as possible with the amount of work there needs to be done outside of recruiting.

The field of Med-Peds hospitalist has not yet seen its peak because there has not been the full appreciation of the dual trained doctor. I think that is going to change in a few years, but it's hard to predict salaries at this point. I know a Family Doctor that was offered a job paying 220K in Cali and I know Family and Med-Peds docs are seen joining practices together. I think the main gist is to do whatever you love and that is going to make you want to get out of bed in the morning. That is the key for success that extends into $$$. Also, I like the fact that every 3 months I get a change of pace from kids to adults, it keeps life interesting. And I never take for granted my knowledge because I have two specialities to know, so never before have I been so interested to read to further my knowledge in the care of my patients. So don't let two boards discourage you, people have definitely done it before you and I am sure you are no different.

Lastly, Med-Peds revolves around mostly inpatient training to deal with the most acute patients. After putting in a central line in an adult, you'll feel comfortable doing it on the peds side. The strength of the outpatient training I believe is in a solid Med-Peds continuity clinic. I hear a lot of categoricals complaining about their clinics but Med-Peds people love going to a place where they can be with their own kind in harmony....

Jumping off the soap box, hope that helps......

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize in advance, but I have a lot of problems with your advice PalmOlive. it is never too late to apply to programs until the match list is officially submitted.

I know plenty of people who interviewed for MULTIPLE programs including Med-Peds and the categoricals.

The field of Med-Peds hospitalist has not yet seen its peak because there has not been the full appreciation of the dual trained doctor.

Well, I never said that it was too late to apply for med-peds. I was just guesti-mating that if it takes 3-4 weeks to get in an LOR that some Med-Peds programs have filled most of their interview spots since then, i.e. getting the whole thing in around November 1st is OK. Based on my percentage guesses I am just suggesting that this person apply to maybe 30 med-peds programs to yield about 10 interviews . . . if he/she gets too many interviews no problem. My advice is pragmatic and it helps this person tackle the next step.

But for everybody else out there, I will be on the med-peds interview trail and have gotten basically 40% of programs I applied to respond back with an invite for interviewing, some with only a few interview dates. Which really surprised me!

I expect to get the remainder of my interview invites between October and early November. So, basically if applicants follow your advice then come November 1st I have basically ALL the interviews I want and some applicants would just submit their applications.

So, don't believe someone about to hit the interview trail . . .

I do totally agree that decisions should be made on what you like to do, in the end you will do it for decades likely, and basically I was trying to point out that the salary for an IM hospitalist and a Med/Peds hospitalist are probably about the same. Some people have to delay doing a fellowship to pay off loans that are really huge, that is just life. Perhaps some medical students stuck between straight IM or Peds can't afford to do Med-Peds. Normally I wouldn't comment about the financial loops you have to jump through to do Med/Peds at all, but this OP asked about it.

In terms of "appreciation of the dually trained doctor" I think Med-Peds offer great advantages for rural health, i.e. where a doctor who can see both types of patients is needed. However, in hospital settings, i.e. hospitalist positions, it is easy for a hospital to hire an IM doc to do hospitalist work full-time and for the Peds department to hire a pediatrician to be a full-time hospitalist.

As hospitals are in need of hospitalists now there is opportunities for med/peds physicians to work in both departments as a hospitalist for children and adults. However, I do not believe that being a med/peds doctor gives you a leg up necessarily in getting a hospitalist position, especially at hospital which mainly have adult patients as you would need to negotiate with both the pediatrics and the medicine departments. Currently, for IM doctors, pediatricians and med/peds docs there is no shortage of hospitalist spots.

While I love the positives of Med/Peds such as being able to see both adults and children, I wouldn't say that Med/Peds docs have a advantage over pediatricans or internists in securing hospitalist positions as most hospitalists are either pure IM or pure Peds. I have resigned myself to having to negotiate between both Peds and Medicine departments to be able to treat patients in both the peds and adult wards, and plan to ask nicely to be able to do this as I feel I would be a slight imposition on them.

Why? Because an IM hospitalist see adults patients more in residency and initially may make a better pure IM hospitalist (likewise for Peds) so I figure I will have to go up the learing curve quickly as a Med/Peds physician if I am seeing both peds and adults on an inpatient unit. In economic terms I don't know if there is much if any advantage to hiring one IM doc hospitalist and one Peds doc hospitalist versus two med/peds doctors . . . the combination has equivalent training in terms of excellence in IM and Peds, . . . there is intellectual stimulation for the med/peds doc, but I don't think that being a Med/Peds hospitalist will ever lead to increased appreciation or recognition amoung pure IM and pure Peds hospitalist, why should it?? Every field in medicine hopes for increased recognition/appreciation at some point and many are disappointed. Actually, as far as I know the number of Med/Peds residency slots has decreased over the last decade and a lot of programs have closed, meaning that any appreciation of Med/Peds docs over IM and Peds docs has not translated into more residency positions or programs to produce more of these doctors.

I have talked with a med/peds program director that did NOT like it when applicants applied to both categorical Peds and Med/Peds at the same institution. It could make you look less dedicated to med/peds which is a fairly intensive residency compared to categorical Peds or IM. . . . Again, dfferent PDs may have different opinions on this, . . . Basically I wouldn't apply to peds and IM at every place I applied for Med/Peds but would diversify my applications to different places I would want to go. If you do apply for both Med/Peds and either Peds or IM at a single hospital they usually know about it.

I feel it is an exaggeration to say that it isn't too late to apply for med/peds until the rank list is in. Obviously your chances decrease the more you wait, and if you applied in January or February before the rank list are in, well, if you get any interviews you have a lot of tap dancing to do to show how much you want to do Med/Peds.

Last edited:
All kinds of issues here.

Not too late. Lots of programs aren't sending out invites yet. But don't sit around thinking about this too long.

I always wonder when someone interviews with me and the categorical program. I like to think we still rank them on their merits (which might include subjective assessment of the applicant's interest/dedication to 4 years training - on the other hand, I've been burned by people I thought were dedicated....). How this is handled from a scheduling standpoint will vary widely. At the least should be upfront - it doesn't look good when this is discovered during the rank meeting.

There are increasing opportunities for hospital based medicine. $220k may be pushing it for one just out of training. Remember, there is a correlation between salary and productivity/hours worked expectations. Reimbursement is in flux, so there isn't a good way to know what the market will be like 5 years from now.

Finally, you may not be able to have it all: "I would like to get my exorbitant debt paid off, live comfortably in a potential high cost-of-living city, and do some philanthropy/international work and possibly academics"

j

There are increasing opportunities for hospital based medicine. $220k may be pushing it for one just out of training. ...

j

I am 8.75 months shy of completing my med-peds training. I can assure you there are many job offers of $220K+ in my mailbox on a regular basis usually for hospitalist jobs, but I have also received offers for primary care clinics in large cities. I have already secured a cush job in a rural area (less than an hour from a large metropolis) making nearly that much BEFORE productivity bonus is added in. And given a dirt cheap cost of living in the area I'm making the equivalent of even more.

As for the ginormous student loan burden... rural hospitals can and do offer loan repayment assistance (which I am getting), and some areas are considered underserved so federal loans can be forgiven when you work there (which I may also be eligible for). This requires a contract to serve a certain amount of time for every year of loans forgiven. Student loans could be paid off in as little as 3-5 years.