Med-Peds as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelMcT2009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a current third year interested in med peds. Would like to stay in Texas if possible.

There are only 3 programs in Texas, and as of now only UT Houston has any DOs. Anyone know if UT southwestern or Baylor have ever taken or interviewed DOs?

How about any of the programs near Texas? LSU? OU?

My step 1 is 257 and I have a bit of research. Not sure if this path is realistic as a DO wanting to stay local.

Members don't see this ad.

Im a current third year interested in med peds. Would like to stay in Texas if possible.

There are only 3 programs in Texas, and as of now only UT Houston has any DOs. Anyone know if UT southwestern or Baylor have ever taken or interviewed DOs?

How about any of the programs near Texas? LSU? OU?

My step 1 is 257 and I have a bit of research. Not sure if this path is realistic as a DO wanting to stay local.
That's a really specific question; I don't have a great answer. I'm sure though that Baylor and Utsw have alumni lists though that would at least answer the question have they ever taken a DO. You step 1 is great, and research helps as well. Just be passionate about it (or something) when the time comes. If you really can't go outside of Texas, applying to med or peds is advisable, and that holds true if you apply to anything less than 10 to 15 programs I would think (average is in the 20 to 30 range on most recent outcomes). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
For sure UTSW has never taken a DO. The current class of interns is the first class at UTSW and they are all MDs. I don't know about BCM. LSU clearly takes DOs and FMGs... they have several currently in the program.

I think you'll be fine in Med/Peds. I'm a 4th year with 240s/240s from a mid tier MD school. I applied to something like 36 programs and received more interviews than I expected.

Update: In addition, I have seen DO's interviewing with me at everything single place I have been so far. I say go for it and have a backup plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users