Med Advising companies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolydoody1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are premed advising corps recommended? For those of you have experience or received help on apps, how was it and what are the pros and come of getting that help in the premed years and guidance on the applications as well?

Members don't see this ad.

You can get great advising here on SDN for free. We have, collectively, members of Adcoms from some 10% of all US med schools.

Just mind the angst and neurotic behavior.

Reactions: 9 users
Yes, if you have time SDN is good enough but you need to figure out whose advice to take and whose to ignore and who to not to engage with. As a parent I guided my kid without paying anyone with good outcome without gap years. If you don't have time nothing wrong to hire someone but don't spend too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
If money is no issue, then go for it. I personally don't like paying for things I can learn on my own, and thus spent 0 dollars on any services/books this cycle.

My experience has been that most of them are just awful.
It's one thing to waste money, it's another to waste it on actively harmful information.
THIS^^^^^^.

If you are motivated, the advice you receive here will be far superior to anything a private advisor has to offer. In fact, many people who participate here are insiders who are ethically precluded from selling what they generously share here for free.

You just need to be able to spend a little time to learn whose opinions jibe with you, as well as to figure out just who's who. I started two years ago and now feel extremely confident going into my first application cycle.

I have been able to pick the brains of some of the most brilliant people in the space. Some have identified themselves as being associated with some schools I am targeting. Others have been anonymously verified by SDN as being associated with some of the most prestigious schools in the country. And still others are peers who provide a needed sense of community.

I learned enough to be able to draft a personal statement I am happy with. I managed to get through the MCAT without spending a penny on coaching, although I did manage to spend a small fortune on prep materials, based entirely on recommendations received on SDN. I learned which activities to seek out to enhance my application, which greatly supplemented what I learned through the pre-med advising office at my school. Etc., etc., etc.

There is nothing wrong with private coaching if you have money to burn and require the hand holding and structure they offer, although, as pointed out above, you need to be careful, because some of them really don't know what they are doing, and authoritatively pass along misinformation that can hurt you. But, rest assured, in the best of cases, they do not have access to a secret cache of material that is nearly as comprehensive or valuable as what is available right here for free. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
I received interview help (mock interview and feedback) from MedSchoolCoach, and I found it really helpful. I got it for free though since I do MCAT tutoring for the company, so I can’t say if it would have been worth whatever they charge normally.

I received interview help (mock interview and feedback) from MedSchoolCoach, and I found it really helpful. I got it for free though since I do MCAT tutoring for the company, so I can’t say if it would have been worth whatever they charge normally.
Sounds good. Everyone should have access to some practice and feedback before the real deal.

Everyone needs a bachelors degree as a prerequisite to apply. Most schools offer interview help to current students, recent grads, and some even offer it to all grads for life. If someone doesn't have access to something like that, it might be worth paying for some coaching, practice and feedback if YouTube and books don't get them to a place where they are comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
Are premed advising corps recommended? For those of you have experience or received help on apps, how was it and what are the pros and come of getting that help in the premed years and guidance on the applications as well?
You can get great advice here for free, but it will also take you a lot of time. And you'll need to sort through some chaff.

Most consultancies, including Accepted, have a lot of free advice and free resources (articles; downloadable guides; podcast interviews with admissions directors, current students, and recent grads; webinars). Some of Accepted's material is posted on SDN. However, by its very nature, the advice given in these pieces and on this forum, has to be at least somewhat general. Advising, the paid service, is one-on-one, private, and individual.

Accepted has been in business for 27 years. We wouldn't be around this long if our service was "awful." Furthermore, our med school consultants include former admissions directors, post-bac program directors, residency committee admissions members and chairs, and highly experienced consultants, several of whom are MDs and PhDs, They are dedicated professionals.

I'd suggest that anyone considering hiring a consultant, visit our site. Take advantage of the free materials. Check out our services, and if interested, request a free consultation. See if there's a fit, and then make up your own mind.

The cost of rejection is almost always far higher than the cost of a consultant.

Last edited: