mechanism question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caboose

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm a premie, (aren't I cute?), and I like to explore. I posted this question on the more-that-you-should-ever-ask-for-the-MCAT-you_sick_person thread, but, alas, no one knew.
Can you tell me?

I was watching this neurosurgery where the surgeon broke through the dura and cerebrospinal fluid started to pump out. What drives this,(how)? If there is such a force driving the circulation of the CB fluid, why is it necessary for ciliated ependymal cells?

Simple?

Caboose.

Members don't see this ad.

CSF is made mainly by secretary cells in the choroid plexus within the 3rd ventricle of the brain (deep above the spinal cord). From there it travels down the aqueduct of Sylvius (great vacation spot :p ) and down the central canal of the spinal cord and out holes into the subarachnoid space. It then is able to pass through one-way valves into venous sinuses where it is removed into circulation. So, there is a constant formation and removal of CSF that creates a flow. The fluid also protects the brain from the pulsing blood vessels around it which would squish the brain with each systole. Kind of like a hydraulic shock absorber. This is probably what creates the "pulsing" ejection of fluid in a wound.
Anyway, that is my interpretation and I hope that is all correct since I have an exam on it in a week. :)

Thank you SO much, Nate! That was completely and disturbingly clear. I'll have to go see the aqueduct of Sylvius sometime.
Good luck on the exam. If you ever need to learn by teaching - I'm all ears... with brain and junk in between.
;)
Caboose.

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be noted that there is evidence supporting CSF absorption through the lymphatic system in the submucosa.

Caboose said:
Hey there, I'm a premie, (aren't I cute?), and I like to explore. I posted this question on the more-that-you-should-ever-ask-for-the-MCAT-you_sick_person thread, but, alas, no one knew.
Can you tell me?

I was watching this neurosurgery where the surgeon broke through the dura and cerebrospinal fluid started to pump out. What drives this,(how)? If there is such a force driving the circulation of the CB fluid, why is it necessary for ciliated ependymal cells?

Simple?

Caboose.

Probably not adding much here. However, it should be noted that the ependymal cells in the choroid plexus are *modified* ependymal cells (modified for secretion, as addressed). Ependymal cells lining the spinal chord region, in general, are involved in absorbing CSF.

Nate said:
CSF is made mainly by secretary cells in the choroid plexus within the 3rd ventricle of the brain (deep above the spinal cord). From there it travels down the aqueduct of Sylvius (great vacation spot :p ) and down the central canal of the spinal cord and out holes into the subarachnoid space. It then is able to pass through one-way valves into venous sinuses where it is removed into circulation. So, there is a constant formation and removal of CSF that creates a flow. The fluid also protects the brain from the pulsing blood vessels around it which would squish the brain with each systole. Kind of like a hydraulic shock absorber. This is probably what creates the "pulsing" ejection of fluid in a wound.
Anyway, that is my interpretation and I hope that is all correct since I have an exam on it in a week. :)

Nate is a walking textbook!

It should also be noted that choroid plexi can be found in all ventricles - not just the 3rd.