This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

First let me say thank you for any insight. This forum has been very valuable throughout my pre-med experience and I appreciate it.

I was recently accepted to several medical schools, including USUHS, and am trying to decide on the best pathway for myself. I've talked to several military physicians, reviewed the many negatives and positives, and still want to serve. I think I am someone who would enjoy the experience and find it rewarding. That said, I am not prior service and, though I come from a big military medicine family, I am not sure I want to lock myself into the 7 year commitment of USUHS at this stage.

HPSP would be a good deal but I've heard a lot of negatives, and a few positives, from physicians that were unable to match into the residency of their choice and had to serve out their time as a GMO or GMO and reapply, extending their service requirement. This is especially true for the Navy which is my desired branch.

Just in examining all the paths, I am curious if it's possible to do MDSSP for the living stipend during med school, followed by the FAP program in residency to pay back most of my medical school loans. That way, I get most of the financial bonus along with the added flexibility and control in choosing my residency. Is FAP only for those that don't have any prior service? (including MDSSP)

Sorry if this question has already been answered. I was unable to find this particular path listed. Thanks again for any help.

Members don't see this ad.