MD's and Transplants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOSouthpaw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we frequently get posts about "Osteopaths almost killing someone" I'm suprised that no one has said anything about this recent story...but we Osteopaths don't have to worry about such things do we, because I'm not even sure if we can prescribe drugs or do surgery....just that chiropractic stuff right?

Members don't see this ad.

why are you selflessly defending D.0's with sarcasm when no one has even attacked you?

hahahahah....typical.

How is that you know without even bothering to check that the surgical and medical teams at this prestigious institution of state of the art, ground breaking medical research and surgical care have no DO's on staff? Oh wait, don't answer that...

Geez, give it a rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe nobody has mentioned it because it's a terrible accident. All the previous people who had too much time on their hands to come here and do their DO bashing were complaining about the lack of skill, poor training, etc. of the DO's they had encountered. This case was not the result of lack of skill or poor training of the surgeons. In fact, their skill is what's amazing here, since they successfully performed the transplant not once, but twice on this girl. And by successful, I mean that the patient survived with no other major complications directly from the surgery. Could this tragedy have been prevented? Absolutely. But instead of concerning ourselves with whose fault it was, which I don't believe can be placed on an individual, or a whole population of physicians for that matter, we should learn from this and hope that the patient doesn't suffer any more than she already has.

Originally posted by luckystar
This case was not the result of lack of skill or poor training of the surgeons. In fact, their skill is what's amazing here, since they successfully performed the transplant not once, but twice on this girl. And by successful, I mean that the patient survived with no other major complications directly from the surgery.
I think people are saying it was a clerical error, some type of mislabeling of the organs. I agree with you, if the skill of the transplant surgeon was ever in question, they would of never let him perform the second transplant.

Originally posted by womansurg
How is that you know without even bothering to check that the surgical and medical teams at this prestigious institution of state of the art, ground breaking medical research and surgical care have no DO's on staff? Oh wait, don't answer that...

Ouch!

Womansurg...I had always respected your refusal to engage in any sort of "bashing," whether it be of other specilaties or of your osteopathic colleagues. At times, you had even given me hope that all surgeons weren't a**holes.

The original post, I'll admit, was a bit of a provocation, yet I didn't think it deserved the venomous reply above.

BTW, to answer your question...the reason this "prestigious institution of state of the art, ground breaking medical research and surgical care have no DO's on staff" is quite obvious....DO's are not intelligent nor capable enough to perform at that level, which is why we're rightfully excluded from such prestigious institutions...duh!

Okay...back to studying "neck cranking made easy," the only textbook us ******ed osteopaths really need to ace the COMLEX.

You know -- I usually never engage in this shi**, but for some reason your little comment above really set me off today -- I guess it's a nice reality check for me -- let's me know that MD elitism may always be lurking around the corner -- damn, I really didn't expect this from you...

I think ws was saying that the op jumped to quick to judge and that Duke might actually have DOs on staff. This is what I think I'm not sure.

Originally posted by Teufelhunden
Womansurg...The original post, I'll admit, was a bit of a provocation, yet I didn't think it deserved the venomous reply above.
Okay, that was under-the-belt, I admit. For some reason, I seem to be in flame-thrower mode today.

I'm quite certain that there are many excellent DO's on staff at Duke. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek and to expose the underlying biases of the OP (aside from the obviously stated ones...) But it was harsh - granted. My apologies.

Good lord, I was just having some fun to blow off some stress during test block time. Must be test block time for everyone else as well... lol Oh well, I guess I'll do a little flaming back for fun.

Lucky Star said, "This case was not the result of lack of skill or poor training of the surgeons. "

The news report said,
"In the first operation, Dr. James Jaggers implanted organs from a donor with type A blood that were incompatible with Jesica?s O-positive blood.
Hospital chief executive Dr. William Fulkerson said Jaggers wrongly assumed compatibility had been confirmed when he was offered the organs, and later failed to double-check that assumption, a violation of the hospital?s procedures."

Maybe not a lack of skill or training....but....I've got to get back to studying Neuroscience. I need to figure out which nerves I'm going to damage when I crack a neck. lol

Originally posted by DOSouthpaw

Maybe not a lack of skill or training....but....

But what? Why don't you finish your sentence? If the doctors were so unskilled, the patient would have a whole lot more to worry about. I'm sorry if you think making light of this whole matter would help you blow off stress, and please don't make a comment towards me without finishing your sentiments. Good luck with neuro!

By the way, it might interest you to read the Duke thread in the Surgery forum. There are some excellent points made in it.

I did a surgery elective with a guy who did his residency from Duke...he made it a point to tell everybody including myself atelast 10 times a day that he was "Duke Trained" maybe he doesn't do it so much now :laugh:

Originally posted by JPNSU
I did a surgery elective with a guy who did his residency from Duke...he made it a point to tell everybody including myself atelast 10 times a day that he was "Duke Trained" maybe he doesn't do it so much now :laugh:
I worked with an interventional radiologist who trained at Johns Hopkins. He prefaced practically every statement with "at HOPKINS we would do it this way....", so much so that everyone started calling him Dr. Hopkins behind his back. One night I ran into him in a restaurant and introduced my husband to him...as 'Dr. Hopkins' ! :oops:

lol, I did finish my sentence, I said that I had to get back to Neuroscience. Chill out y'all, this was supposed to be a light thread. I was reading some of Sawbones's stuff and got inspired.

Ok, Southpaw, I'll admit my second post was a little harsh. But try going shopping with your mother for three hours and not buying a single thing! :mad: Anyway, have a nice evening :)

Originally posted by womansurg
Okay, that was under-the-belt, I admit. For some reason, I seem to be in flame-thrower mode today.

I'm quite certain that there are many excellent DO's on staff at Duke. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek and to expose the underlying biases of the OP (aside from the obviously stated ones...) But it was harsh - granted. My apologies.

Haha - apology accepted. I have to admit, I must be having one of my sensitive days for that to have initially bothered me so much. I agree with the OP'er, we should all try to keep this discussion 'light.'

See, even Marines have a sensitive side ;)