MDACC IR Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navigator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 2nd year DO student interested in IR. I'm taking Step in June (aiming for 250s, and in a position where I can postpone my exam to later in the year if need be) and starting an HHMI fellowship at MD Anderson in June. I stumbled upon this field really recently and think it's the absolute coolest field of medicine, and am going to a regional symposium in a few weeks in the midwest to get some more exposure. I'd like your feedback on some things-

1. MDACC just opened up a new integrated IR residency. What steps could I take during the year to get on their radar? Would that even be recommended, or should I simply focus on my research?
2. Because my research wouldn't be directly radiology-related (it's a genomics/immunotherapy based basic science project), would it be wise to try to link up with some interventional radiologists at the hospital and ask to help out with case reports?

Since I'm at a school without the proper clinical/departmental infrastructure to really help students interested in a field like this, I greatly value your input and really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly as a DO your chances of matching into the IR/DR residency are slim to none. 95% of the matches to IR/DR this year were US MDs, i.e. graduating allopathic seniors. For references that percentage is higher than Derm, Ortho, ENT

Your best shot is going to a DR program with ESIR.

Honestly as a DO your chances of matching into the IR/DR residency are slim to none. 95% of the matches to IR/DR this year were US MDs, i.e. graduating allopathic seniors. For references that percentage is higher than Derm, Ortho, ENT

Your best shot is going to a DR program with ESIR.

Yeah that’s understandable. A 4th year at my school is doing ESIR at BCM. Should I reach out to the radiology faculty at MDA when I’m researching there this coming year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would certainly reach out to the MD Anderson IR group and showcase early interest in the specialty. I would get involved in SIR and consider joining the medical student council. There are numerous IR symposium that you can go to and network at. Also, I would get involved in the IR interest groups at the nearby schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey man, I just matched into IR this year. I know a majority of the MDA IR team. Shoot me a PM, I'll give you any advice I can.