MDACC 5 minute interview monologue and other fun interview "surprises"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quidbert

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that MD Anderson has their interviewees give an impromptu 5 minute presentation on a non-radonc related subject during their panel interview. Maybe its just me, but this sounds incredibly uncomfortable . . .

1) If you've experienced this, what did they actually ask you to do? what did you talk about? Did you prepare for it prior to the interview? (one comment on the "Tips form the Interview Trail" thread even specifically says don't talk about about playing a musical instrument, does anyone know why?)

2) What other programs have unusual interview surprises/notorious questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To be honest, it's really not that big a deal. The Anderson interview is a 9 person panel, they sit in a semi-circle and each ask 1 question. One of those "questions" is that they ask you to speak for up to five minutes on a non-rad onc topic that has been meaningful in your life. They tell you to prepare this ahead of time, so it's not like it's a surprise. It's less of a presentation and more of just telling a good story about your life. They all keep insane poker faces during the interview, but afterward everyone goes out for drinks (attendings including) and it's a good time.

Having gone through this last year I wish you all luck. It's an absurd process, but when it's all over it's so worth it. Now to survive the rest of my internship. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Man, the whole thing is stupid. I can't believe that is how the finest cancer treatment center in the United States does it. It's not just absurd, it is basically the biggest waste of time ever. A great study would be to rank the students before the interviews and then afterwards to see if it changes. The results may eliminate the whole process ...

I've witnessed how little interviews matter. The whole thing is a farce. Act normal. Nothing too over the top, don't be too boring, and don't insult anybody. Treat it similarly to when you meet your girlfriend's (or boyfriend's) parents for the first time - i.e. an average performance won't break you, but a terrible one will. Don't drink more than a few drinks, and definitely no more than the most senior person (dad/chairman). If they like you a lot already, it won't matter what mom and dad think ...

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
What other programs have unusual interview surprises/notorious questions?

These happened when I was interviewing (2005-2006), not sure if still relevant . . .

Loyola = attending asked you to present a patient case, either real or made-up, that did not need to be oncology related (HPI, PMH, PE, DDx, w/u, etc.)

Pittsburgh = Dr. Greenberger interviews applicants and he likes to play "bad cop"

UAB = Dr. Brezovich (head physicist) asks you a random potpourri of question (what % of GDP does US spend on health care, what is Ohm's law)

1) If you've experienced this, what did they actually ask you to do? what did you talk about? Did you prepare for it prior to the interview? (one comment on the "Tips form the Interview Trail" thread even specifically says don't talk about about playing a musical instrument, does anyone know why?)

I think the issue was that a few years back, someone actually played a musical piece for their 5 minute "talk," which evidently did not go over well. Given that you're sitting in a small conference room with 9 other people, I could see how it would be awkward / over the top to bust out a trumpet or whatnot and go to town...I think if you wanted to talk about some experience you've had in music, then you'd be on ok ground...

I would recommend at least sketching out what you're going to talk about prior to the interview day. I don't think it really matters what you talk about, as long as you're coherent and engaging...

These happened when I was interviewing (2005-2006), not sure if still relevant . . .

Loyola = attending asked you to present a patient case, either real or made-up, that did not need to be oncology related (HPI, PMH, PE, DDx, w/u, etc.)

Pittsburgh = Dr. Greenberger interviews applicants and he likes to play "bad cop"

UAB = Dr. Brezovich (head physicist) asks you a random potpourri of question (what % of GDP does US spend on health care, what is Ohm's law)

The physicist at Stanford threw out a case scenario last year, and asked you to work it up. A lady with abdominal pain, who IIRC had no abnormal findings or lab results. No idea what he was driving at, to be honest. He informed me that we were moving on to the next stage of the interview, and when I asked what the diagnosis had been, he told me that the patient died (!), so I guess I was on the wrong track ;)

The physicist at Stanford threw out a case scenario last year, and asked you to work it up. A lady with abdominal pain, who IIRC had no abnormal findings or lab results. No idea what he was driving at, to be honest. He informed me that we were moving on to the next stage of the interview, and when I asked what the diagnosis had been, he told me that the patient died (!), so I guess I was on the wrong track ;)

yeah, i had the same guy/case...i thought i heard someone mention porphyria as the day wrapped up.