MD vs. DO controversy??? Explain?..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanna B a Doc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?ve heard a lot of people saying ?I guess if I don?t get accepted into and MD school I could always apply to a DO school?. I wonder if this is the general consensus of pre-medical students, and if so, why? Do we generally consider DO?s less of a doctor than MD?s? Would you prefer having an operation performed by an MD rather than a DO? I know DO schools place more emphasis on training students as GP?s, but they are still doctors, and becoming any type of doctor (M.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D.) is very difficult (as we all know). So why are DO?s sometimes considered ?second rate? doctors by MD?s, and vice versa? Maybe I?m wrong, but this is the impression that I am getting. Any ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice to you is use the search feature. There is, currently, at least 2 other threads about this and I'm sure you will find lots more. This will no doubt turn into an MD/DO flame war. It's inevitable. :(

:laugh: This topic has been discussed many times. Yes that is a good question. Why is it that DOs are considered second rate to MDs? I think the main reason is the prestige factor. That is, the public knows about the MD degree, and 9 out of 10 people do not know what the DO degree is. If you can get past that simple yet major fact, then you'll be fine as a DO.

Status
Not open for further replies.