MD to other health care professional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not attempting to answer for Fab, but I don't see how your analogy applies. Teaching is pedagogy, regardless of the audience. Football is football, and I guess were I a footballer, I'd want to play as long as possilble. What else is there but the pros after matriculation? Nursing and medicine are two seperate and distinct paths. I see them as parallel and it seems contradictory that you defend nursing vigorously while simultaneously preparing to leave nursing for a totally different career. People are complicated, so it isn't implausible or wrong, it is just odd (and slightly sad I guess, nursing needs more nurses who love it!).

I don't have a problem with it, and I doubt Fab does either. Your vitriol seems innappropriate somehow. :shrug:

You did a pretty good job of answering for me! ;)

Methinks jusstesting doth protest too much!

Members don't see this ad.

Well IMO, it is completely different. I don't see tham as having much in common at all really (excepting patients in common), unless one is an APN providing primary care or an ACNP acting as hospitalist. I don't see levels, I see distinct professions. I don't think nursing is anymore like medicine than malpractice law is like medicine. Good luck with your pursuits though.

ChillyRN: You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but I'm willing to wager you're not exactly a newbie nurse, eh? You don't seem to think like one, anyway. (That's a compliment. ;))

ChillyRN: You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but I'm willing to wager you're not exactly a newbie nurse, eh? You don't seem to think like one, anyway. (That's a compliment. ;))

I have been a nurse for 15 years. I am also a highschool science teacher, so I lol'd a little at the teaching analogy. I still work as a nurse 24 hours a week. It is truly love/hate. I dropped out of law school at U of Florida to go to nursing school, and I don't regret it. However, after 15 years, I am looking to do something different and I'm considering APN or MPH (which is how I came to be on SDN) . I think I like the idea of designing public education campaigns. I missed UNCs app deadline already, so I guess I have another year to think it over. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be working tonight and my co-worker was a doc in the Philippines and is now an RN. I will talk to him tonight and let you know.
Yes because he took SOME Nursing classes in the Philippines. Yes, there is a shortcut but you still have to go through some process.

I have been a nurse for 15 years. I am also a highschool science teacher, so I lol'd a little at the teaching analogy. I still work as a nurse 24 hours a week. It is truly love/hate. I dropped out of law school at U of Florida to go to nursing school, and I don't regret it. However, after 15 years, I am looking to do something different and I'm considering APN or MPH (which is how I came to be on SDN) . I think I like the idea of designing public education campaigns. I missed UNCs app deadline already, so I guess I have another year to think it over. :laugh:

LOL; I knew you were a veteran! You're too reasonable! :laugh:

I know what you mean about needing a change. I just made a HUGE leap from one specialty to another. :scared: You can get in a rut, but change can be pretty doggone terrifying too!

I have been in critical care for so long, I can't imagine doing anything else. They gave me a critical OB patent a few weeks ago and I was none too pleased. I do not suffer pregnant women gladly, lol. Biggest bunch of whiners on the planet (and I've been one, so I can say that ;) ) I once considered going to CRNA school, but the thought of doing L&D epidurals is enough to make me want to pick up garbage for a living instead. I prefer my patients intubated, sedated and paralyzed, :smuggrin:.

Sometimes I think about nursing education, since I have a lot of teaching experience. Then I realize I don't want to do the tenure track BS, meetings, committees, blah blah blah. I take a per diem job here as a teacher, there as a nurse (and I earn more teaching as a matter of fact). No administrative stuff, no drama. No benefits either, but I don't need them, the spousal unit has that covered. However, he is a little tired of paying my tuition and never seeing anything come of it. I have three bachelor's degrees, a masters in social justice and now am making noise about MPH or MSN. Truth be told, I'd rather just be a perpetual student and never actually work!

If I were 20 something again, I'd like to be a physicist. I sent my son to CMU last year and I could listen to him talk about his studies all day. Fascinating stuff. I want to do something groundbreaking, something that fascinates me, amazes me, every day. This is getting bloggy. sorry, but nice talking with you.

Good luck in your new area.

Thankfully, there's next to no chance of my ever having to deal with the preggers with what I am now doing. God bless the people who do like caring for them, but it ain't me, babe. I used to want to run the other direction when they showed up in triage when I worked in the ED. :scared:

I got so fed up in my other job I used to threaten that I was going to go work on a chronic vent floor where everyone was tubed and paralyzed. :smuggrin:

South Carolina allowed this, at least for a while (not sure if it still does) because one of the ED nurses (RN) I worked with was a physician from the Phillipines. He's been in SC for several years now and keeps saying he'll take USMLE and try to get an MD residency here in the states but something holds him back (fear?) He's an adequate nurse but frustrated. I'm not sure what kind of physician he was/would be just looking at the way he practices nursing, but perhaps that's because he has to hold himself in check while working as a nurse.

Other posters have already answered, but no, you can't take PANCE unless you have graduated from an accredited PA program. No loopholes.

Untrue, I know many people who were docs in the Philippines and they only needed to take NCLEX-RN to become an RN

South Carolina allowed this, at least for a while (not sure if it still does) because one of the ED nurses (RN) I worked with was a physician from the Phillipines. He's been in SC for several years now and keeps saying he'll take USMLE and try to get an MD residency here in the states but something holds him back (fear?) He's an adequate nurse but frustrated. I'm not sure what kind of physician he was/would be just looking at the way he practices nursing, but perhaps that's because he has to hold himself in check while working as a nurse.

Yeah the docs that I know who are now RNs always seem a bit flustered. One told me that he does it for his family.

Interesting. You both love nursing so much you're leaving it to become a doctor. :rolleyes:

Next...

Actually, I didn't say I love nursing so much. I am 21 years old and I have only invested a few months into nursing. Initially, I was a biology major, but due to some personal issues I switched to nursing and even though I like nursing, it is just not fully satisfying for me so that is why I am pursuing medical school. Thanks for you sarcastic comment though, just worry about yourself and what you are doing okay:idea:

Yes because he took SOME Nursing classes in the Philippines. Yes, there is a shortcut but you still have to go through some process.

My co-worker told me that he had to take some kind of international nclex or something like that, then he had to take tests in written and spoken english, and the toefl or whatever it is and after he passed all of that, then he took nclex for the state. That's all I got.

what's even more interesting is your inability to grasp a simple concept. Neither of us has said nursing was the end all be all for a career, we did not state nursing was better than being a physician, the only thing I have tried to illustrate is the fact that nursing has it's advantages and can be an enjoyable and beneficial career. Is it hard for you to understand why someone who enjoyed college sports would want to go pro? Is it hard for you to understand why a high school teacher who enjoys teaching might want to get a phd and teach at a university? Exactly. Why is it so unreasonable for someone who enjoys nursing to go med school? You must be very closed minded to not understand that. What I don't get is why you gripe about work but continue without doing anything about it. If you don't want to be called when your shift is over then don't answer the phone etc. You're welcome to keep your grumpy attitude till the day you retire, I can't wait to see how much good it does you. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy my work and recommend it to others while I take my learning and experiences to help me advance in my education and profession.

Agree, some people can't fathom the idea of others advancing their education and moving onto things that will make them happier, because they are stuck in a rut and they hate people who have an opportunity that they don't. She isn't even worth another comment.

Ouch. I can't begin to tell how much that bothered me. I don't hate anybody. Just noting the hyposcrisy of some statements that were made.

And since you know nothing about what I do, it's a bit presumptuous to state I'm in a rut. You couldn't possibly be more wrong, kiddo.

My co-worker told me that he had to take some kind of international nclex or something like that, then he had to take tests in written and spoken english, and the toefl or whatever it is and after he passed all of that, then he took nclex for the state. That's all I got.
Yes, it's possible as they are now giving the same NCLEX exam outside the US (like Hong Kong and Manila). They also have to take either TOEFL or IELTS. The international NCLEX they are referring to is the CGFNS exam for foreign-grad nurses but many states don't even require that anymore (just the NCLEX and English test). I even know somebody who got most of her lessons online and spent only a few weeks in classes. I'm not even sure if it's still allowed as they are starting to get stricter in the Philippines.

Ouch. I can't begin to tell how much that bothered me. I don't hate anybody. Just noting the hyposcrisy of some statements that were made.

And since you know nothing about what I do, it's a bit presumptuous to state I'm in a rut. You couldn't possibly be more wrong, kiddo.

ill never understand why you think its hypocritical for someone who enjoys nursing to further their education by going to med school. is it really that impossible for someone who enjoys the medical aspect of nursing to want to specialize in medicine? Ive mentioned this before, but i have personally worked with a number of attending anesthesiologists who were once nurses and they all look back on it favorably, all of them recommending it. currently i have two close friends and two co workers who are all nurses and all working towards med school, but yet continue to enjoy nursing while we work. maybe in your time 'back in the day' the only nurses who left to go to med school were nurses unhappy with the profession, but thats no longer the case. nothing is hypocritical about being happy in nursing and still wanting to pursue additional education in a field that interests you.
and as far as ULRN being presumptuous about you being in a rut, what else should one assume when reasons are listed about why its good to be a nurse and you just rattle off complaints?