MD Schools with COVID-19 Vaccine Religious Exemptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goup

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - I am an admitted-MD pre-med student. Are there any MD schools that are known to allow religious exemptions for the COVID-19 vaccines?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, this is going to be a school by school basis.

Also, keep in mind you may actually be looking for a personal exemption rather than a religious exemption, since vaccination is opposed by a very small number of organized religions. Whether or not you can just check a box and get a religious exemption, vs having such a claim undergo any real scrutiny, is also likely something that would vary from school to school.

Reactions: 3 users
@goup Can you explain why your objection against COVID-19 vaccines is religious based?
Even the more religious schools like Loma Linda still state they expect their med students to be fully immunized.
Have you looked at the onboarding requirements for the school you have been accepted to? Most require a number of vaccines, not just COVID-19.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Another pertinent question is whether there is a residency program that trains the unvaccinated.
If OP cannot be licensed, this journey ends.
Similarly, if a program has early clinic rotations in the curriculum, the sites may require vaccination. You may be compelled to be vaccinated now that viable options are available.

Thanks to (most of you) for sincere replies that aren't off-topic or judgemental. I just cannot take the vaccines currently available because fo their use of HEK293 or PER.C6 (aborted fetal cell lines) in development or testing. There are some vaccines that are ethically produced like Covaxin and some that are further away from the use of these cell lines like Corbevax. The problem is that (1) these vaccines are not available in the US and (2) if I travelled (say to Mexico) for Covaxin, would med schools accept that vaccine? I have been blessed to have gotten into several MD schools by now, including a top 20, and I have interviewed at many more.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to (most of you) for sincere replies that aren't off-topic or judgemental. I just cannot take the vaccines currently available because fo their use of HEK293 or PER.C6 (aborted fetal cell lines) in development or testing. There are some vaccines that are ethically produced like Covaxin and some that are further away from the use of these cell lines like Corbevax. The problem is that (1) these vaccines are not available in the US and (2) if I travelled (say to Mexico) for Covaxin, would med schools accept that vaccine? I have been blessed to have gotten into several MD schools by now, including a top 20, and I have interviewed at many more.
You will need to ask those schools' student health offices while you have not acted on your multiple offers.

In general, most standard of care advice will come from the FDA so unless they approve, I don't know how they would handle your request short of any specific policy that they are required to follow on vaccinations by the university or training sites.

So again, unless you are a practitioner of a very small religion, chances are that this position is not actually based on any actual religious doctrine. Many denominations, including Catholicism and several Protestant denominations, have determined that the moral good of receiving a vaccine and protecting yourself and others from infection, outweighs the evil from using cells based on an abortion that occurred decades ago. At this point in the pandemic, truly I am not judging you because I think peoples beliefs are pretty set at this point. But if this isn’t explicitly spelled out in the doctrine of your religion, you may be looking for what is known as a personal exemption, not a religious exemption, and even if a prospective school allows for religious exemptions it may not be as simple as checking a box. It really is going to differ on a school to school basis. And as alluded to by @Mr.Smile12 , the answer for the school may differ from the answer for each potential training site.

I am reasonably certain that in order to meet the requirements you will need to be “fully vaccinated” based on an FDA approved vaccine. But again you’ll need to consult your school.

Here is a list of many common religions’ stances on vaccinations: Immunizations and Religion | Vanderbilt Faculty & Staff Health and Wellness

And at least one religious person’s explanation about the science surrounding these cell lines: You asked, we answered: Do the COVID-19 vaccines contain aborted fetal cells?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Thanks to (most of you) for sincere replies that aren't off-topic or judgemental. I just cannot take the vaccines currently available because fo their use of HEK293 or PER.C6 (aborted fetal cell lines) in development or testing.
Is the objection specific to the COVID vaccines or does it extend to other OTC and prescription medicines?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Is the objection specific to the COVID vaccines or does it extend to other OTC and prescription medicines?
The problem with that article is that many of those tests done on HEK293 were not essential to the release of the medication. Correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the studies for tylenol that is supposed to disprove my position was done in 2017. Tylenol did not come out in 2017. Just because you use these unethical cell lines in a test after it has been approved, released, and administered to millions doesn't make taking them retrospectively immoral. Beyond this, there is a difference between medicine that people need to alleviate symptoms and heal them from an existing disease and a vaccine that is used on a completely healthy person like me. If I am completely healthy and recovered from COVID, there is no real impetus for me to get this vaccine, particularly because it is the product of HEK293. In short - I will not take something I know I do not need for my body to function regularly if it is produced with fetal cell lines. If I am seriously ill and the only medication is something that was tested on HEK293, the equation changes because there is a factor of necessity. Small remote cooperation with evil in that case can be justified by the circumstances. That sort of cooperation with evil is not justified by the COVID vaccine, for me. Sorry if this is long-winded and confusing, and I know I'm just talking into the void because the vast majority of those in healthcare would never agree with me, but I appreciate you all not saying things that I have seen on reddit about the unvaccinated (i.e. "you don't deserve to be a doctor", "you are so dumb", how did you get into medical school").

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with that article is that many of those tests done on HEK293 were not essential to the release of the medication. Correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the studies for tylenol that is supposed to disprove my position was done in 2017. Tylenol did not come out in 2017. Just because you use these unethical cell lines in a test after it has been approved, released, and administered to millions doesn't make taking them retrospectively immoral. Beyond this, there is a difference between medicine that people need to alleviate symptoms and heal them from an existing disease and a vaccine that is used on a completely healthy person like me. If I am completely healthy and recovered from COVID, there is no real impetus for me to get this vaccine, particularly because it is the product of HEK293.
Even young people like you who have recovered from COVID and are completely healthy can still get COVID, and/or then pass it on to people who are at great risk of dying from it, like your patients.

The real impetus for you is that you won't be able to set foot into a hospital with that vaccination.

• Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
The problem with that article is that many of those tests done on HEK293 were not essential to the release of the medication. Correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the studies for tylenol that is supposed to disprove my position was done in 2017. Tylenol did not come out in 2017. Just because you use these unethical cell lines in a test after it has been approved, released, and administered to millions doesn't make taking them retrospectively immoral. Beyond this, there is a difference between medicine that people need to alleviate symptoms and heal them from an existing disease and a vaccine that is used on a completely healthy person like me. If I am completely healthy and recovered from COVID, there is no real impetus for me to get this vaccine, particularly because it is the product of HEK293. In short - I will not take something I know I do not need for my body to function regularly if it is produced with fetal cell lines. If I am seriously ill and the only medication is something that was tested on HEK293, the equation changes because there is a factor of necessity. Small remote cooperation with evil in that case can be justified by the circumstances. That sort of cooperation with evil is not justified by the COVID vaccine, for me. Sorry if this is long-winded and confusing, and I know I'm just talking into the void because the vast majority of those in healthcare would never agree with me, but I appreciate you all not saying things that I have seen on reddit about the unvaccinated (i.e. "you don't deserve to be a doctor", "you are so dumb", how did you get into medical school").
Your explanation focuses on you, but as you know, a career in healthcare is also about others. Wouldn't exposing yourself to the "remote cooperation with evil" be morally justified to prevent your patients from potentially getting ill (or even sicker) because of you? As above, many religious leaders have stated that vaccination is the clear lesser of two evils. This effect is amplified as a healthcare professional. There are many elderly patients who have lived like hermits to avoid getting COVID-19, and their main source of exposure is from healthcare (whether for preventative or therapeutic purposes). In these cases, where do you plan on drawing the line? Should your future patients have a say in whether you will be their doctor, knowing that having you care for them may place them at greater risk? As an attending, you can certainly announce your position as an outpatient physician, but good luck with that as a resident or fellow. Is the non-theoretic risk of harming at least one patient (if not many more) in your lifetime conscionable because of your own personal beliefs? What about non-disclosure of your position for your own convenience and training? Ultimately, these cell lines are not going away, and neither is COVID (we're fighting COVID-19 now, but it's only a matter of time before a significant mutation occurs that increases morbidity and mortality). So I sincerely hope for your future patients that your views on this matter change. Neither your nor my personal views/beliefs should place others at risk of harm. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Just adding to the discussion:
A Catholic Take on Vaccinations - Interfaith America
As a Muslim Doctor, I Don’t Say Vaccination Is Permissible, I Say It Is Obligatory - Interfaith America

And if Novavax is available, you will take it?

Last edited:
  • Love
Your explanation focuses on you, but as you know, a career in healthcare is also about others. Wouldn't exposing yourself to the "remote cooperation with evil" be justified to prevent your patients from potentially getting ill (or even sicker) because of you? There are many elderly patients who have lived like hermits to avoid getting COVID-19, and their main source of exposure is from healthcare (whether for preventative or therapeutic purposes). In these cases, where do you plan on drawing the line? Should your future patients have a say in whether you will be their doctor, knowing that having you care for them may place them at greater risk? As an attending, you can certainly announce your position as an outpatient physician, but good luck with that as a resident or fellow. Is the non-theoretic risk of harming at least one patient (if not many more) in your lifetime conscionable because of your own personal beliefs? What about non-disclosure of your position for your own convenience and training? Ultimately, these cell lines are not going away, and neither is COVID (we're fighting COVID-19 now, but it's only a matter of time before a significant mutation occurs that increases morbidity and mortality). So I hope for your future patients that your views on this matter change. Just my thoughts.
I would be totally fine disclosing that to patients, and if they don't want to come because i'm unvaccinated, that is their choice. If you never want to leave your home because you are afraid of COVID, that is your choice - you simply cannot expect everyone to do something they don't need to because you are afraid. Why don't we all wear full PPE and even hazmat suits everywhere if we want to greater eliminate the chance of an old person contracting COVID? After all, we do know that you can still get COVID with the vaccine. Like you said - you have to draw the line somewhere. You never know about all potential pathogens you are carrying - you can always get someone sick - that is not what is meant by remote cooperation with evil. There is no evil that has been done. In the eyes of many, abortion is a grave evil that is being used to help develop these vaccines. Taking them is remote cooperation with evil - the question is whether that is outweighed by the benefit, and I simply say it is not.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
Just adding to the discussion:
A Catholic Take on Vaccinations - Interfaith America
As a Muslim Doctor, I Don’t Say Vaccination Is Permissible, I Say It Is Obligatory - Interfaith America

And if Novavax is available, you will take it?
Thank you for the contributions - and yes, if I had to take one, novavax is the most distantly related to HEK293 of the American-available vaccines. I say "most distantly" because there is debate about a potential glycosylation assessment used in testing that involved HEK293, though denied by Novavax creators.

If I took Novavax, is that on the same level as Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J? Would that be accepted anywhere?

I would be totally fine disclosing that to patients, and if they don't want to come because i'm unvaccinated, that is their choice. If you never want to leave your home because you are afraid of COVID, that is your choice - you simply cannot expect everyone to do something they don't need to because you are afraid. Why don't we all wear full PPE and even hazmat suits everywhere if we want to greater eliminate the chance of an old person contracting COVID? After all, we do know that you can still get COVID with the vaccine. Like you said - you have to draw the line somewhere. You never know about all potential pathogens you are carrying - you can always get someone sick - that is not what is meant by remote cooperation with evil. There is no evil that has been done. In the eyes of many, abortion is a grave evil that is being used to help develop these vaccines. Taking them is remote cooperation with evil - the question is whether that is outweighed by the benefit, and I simply say it is not.
Just because someone can still get sick with an intervention does not refute or lessen the overall efficacy of said intervention. And not knowing all the pathogens you may have at any given time is poor justification for willful ignorance or doing nothing at all. And neither is using an extreme (wearing full PPEs all the time) to argue against other interventions. It's this type of flawed logic that has caused preventable morbidity and mortality in people other than those with these beliefs. In general, like it or not, as a healthcare professional, you will be subject to additional responsibilities, expectations, and duties. And as mentioned above, you will likely encounter significant ethical and administrative issues during your training when your patients may not have the option to see someone else (unless you choose to prioritize your own convenience and training, or find another way to excuse/rationalize your non-action).

Have you talked with your religious/spiritual leaders about your positions, and what have they said? Not expecting your (or others') views on this to change, but hopefully with time, you will find a compromise or alternative solution that does not violate your duties to others as a physician. Best of luck and just my thoughts.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I am caring for someone who is immunocompromised. We will reject any help from social services that is not up to date with their vaccines. It used to be that these homecare services would never hire anyone who was not up to date. But now with a workforce shortage they have waived that. A lot of disability advocates have been livid about that. How would you talk with my patient about your position when we visit her life and safety to supersede your concern?

I think the problem with this position is that it risks you demonstrating a lack of scientific competency and critical thinking in the face of evidence and a rejection of expertise from bioethicists, technology experts, distinguished faculty, and experts who revise the scientific data including for the FDA. That's why the reaction is what it is. But really, the concern is that enough expect our healthcare leaders to be altruistic and think about their patients first, not themselves. The value you place over the "technology" offending your beliefs over clinical trial data and followup data showing incredible efficacy reveals a lot about how you deal with true ethical dilemmas.

Read the two articles from Interfaith America. The applicants I am impressed with are those that really try to find a third option when one usually sees just two.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Consider a different career. You’re going to have a nightmare with credentialing for all of your training.

• Love
Can someone remind me how the HepC vaccine is manufactured? That's almost universally required for all health professionals as far as I know.

I also agree that at some point you may given an ultimatum to get fully vaccinated (all vaccines) or you will be suspended or dismissed within the limits of your student handbook. Read up on it, and as a advised, talk with your student health services director. Tomorrow.

• Love
It is my goal to respond to you with no judgement, so please take the following knowing that I write this in the spirit of cooperation.

As others have suggested, the answer to your question is essentially no. There may be one or two out there that would give you an exemption, but from what I have seen, VERY few exemptions for the Covid-19 vaccination exist in healthcare, and almost none have been offered on religious grounds. If you were an existing healthcare provider, then you might have more luck, but MD programs are unlikely to exempt you, and here's why:

Not all, but many MD and DO programs farm out their med students to other hospital systems, either to give them experience in other settings (rural, county, etc.) or because they send residents there and spread the load of medical students to the same facilities. I am at a ~T30 major academic medical center with all of the resources in the world and I have worked in four different hospital systems, and I'm just an MS3. For each of those systems, I have to undergo the same onboarding as any employee, including verifying my vaccination status. Covid-19 has been a must for all of them. If a med school accepts you, then they understand that they may not be able to send you out to other systems, which actually (as would be the case at my school) would get in the way of fulfilling your graduation requirements.

Most (again, not all) specialties require you to do an away rotation at a completely separate hospital. This is something you apply for, and it is competitive. It's not as simple as reaching out and picking a program that suits you. Given that the Covid-19 vaccination is mandatory just about everywhere, you really diminish your chances of getting accepted into an away rotation. This is a serious problem when it comes to the match.

And then there is the matter of the match. You understand, as a person who is intending to go to medical school, that many people simply do not match in a given year. The match is intensely competitive, and you only have so much influence over where you end up. Depending on their intended specialty, people apply to somewhere between 30-80 programs when they apply for residency. There are NOT 30-80 residency programs that would offer you an exemption for this vaccine. And honestly, that's assuming that you do belong to one of the groups that have been able to get this exemption in the first place. I know my institution has not offered religious exemption to anyone.

I'm not going to try to offer you advice here, but I will point out that what you are asking for is going to be exceptionally difficult to achieve. Probably not absolutely impossible, but extremely challenging. Stick to your beliefs if you must, but understand that doing so may well lock you out of a career in healthcare. I guess the best you can do is probably to reach out to the schools that have accepted you and have a candid conversation about what's possible.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I am caring for someone who is immunocompromised. We will reject any help from social services that is not up to date with their vaccines. It used to be that these homecare services would never hire anyone who was not up to date. But now with a workforce shortage they have waived that. A lot of disability advocates have been livid about that. How would you talk with my patient about your position when we visit her life and safety to supersede your concern?

I think the problem with this position is that it risks you demonstrating a lack of scientific competency and critical thinking in the face of evidence and a rejection of expertise from bioethicists, technology experts, distinguished faculty, and experts who revise the scientific data including for the FDA. That's why the reaction is what it is. But really, the concern is that enough expect our healthcare leaders to be altruistic and think about their patients first, not themselves. The value you place over the "technology" offending your beliefs over clinical trial data and followup data showing incredible efficacy reveals a lot about how you deal with true ethical dilemmas.

Read the two articles from Interfaith America. The applicants i an impressed with are those that really try to find a third option when one usually sees just two.
I read the catholic article; the real question is did you read it? It is embarrassingly bad writing! She writes:

"Even though the vaccines have ties to abortion, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), as well as Pope Francis himself, have clearly iterated that we are “morally obligated” to receive the COVID-19 vaccine due to its ability to protect life in the here and now. "

As you can see, the sources are hyperlinked. If you want to see how deceptive and journalistically poor this article is, click the first hyperlink. It takes you to an FAQ from the USCCB where one question is literally, "Is there a moral obligation to receive a COVID-19 vaccination?" The answer, in the source that she provided, is "The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has noted recently that vaccination is not, as a rule, a moral obligation and that, therefore, it must be voluntary." She says the exact opposite in her article, and cites this source as if it supports her when, in reality, it contradicts her word for word.

Please read the articles you send carefully, especially when they are about faith. It tends to be very important to people! If you want, we can certainly debate the nitty gritty of Catholic theology!

In regard to the immunocompromised option, they are free to choose to have doctors who are vaccinated if that is what they require. I also have many vaccines myself, just not this one because I do not think it is worth it. I think it is worth examining those regulations. In some cases, the care of the patient does supercede. I know Catholic priests who are vehemently against the vaccine because of its link to abortion, but got it anyways because they needed it to minister to those in nursing homes with strict regulations. Their duty to provide the sacraments did supercede the spiritual peril of the vaccine. This is a case-by-case basis, but due to the ubiquitousness of vaccinated physicians, I don't see why I would need to get it.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
It is my goal to respond to you with no judgement, so please take the following knowing that I write this in the spirit of cooperation.

As others have suggested, the answer to your question is essentially no. There may be one or two out there that would give you an exemption, but from what I have seen, VERY few exemptions for the Covid-19 vaccination exist in healthcare, and almost none have been offered on religious grounds. If you were an existing healthcare provider, then you might have more luck, but MD programs are unlikely to exempt you, and here's why:

Not all, but many MD and DO programs farm out their med students to other hospital systems, either to give them experience in other settings (rural, county, etc.) or because they send residents there and spread the load of medical students to the same facilities. I am at a ~T30 major academic medical center with all of the resources in the world and I have worked in four different hospital systems, and I'm just an MS3. For each of those systems, I have to undergo the same onboarding as any employee, including verifying my vaccination status. Covid-19 has been a must for all of them. If a med school accepts you, then they understand that they may not be able to send you out to other systems, which actually (as would be the case at my school) would get in the way of fulfilling your graduation requirements.

Most (again, not all) specialties require you to do an away rotation at a completely separate hospital. This is something you apply for, and it is competitive. It's not as simple as reaching out and picking a program that suits you. Given that the Covid-19 vaccination is mandatory just about everywhere, you really diminish your chances of getting accepted into an away rotation. This is a serious problem when it comes to the match.

And then there is the matter of the match. You understand, as a person who is intending to go to medical school, that many people simply do not match in a given year. The match is intensely competitive, and you only have so much influence over where you end up. Depending on their intended specialty, people apply to somewhere between 30-80 programs when they apply for residency. There are NOT 30-80 residency programs that would offer you an exemption for this vaccine. And honestly, that's assuming that you do belong to one of the groups that have been able to get this exemption in the first place. I know my institution has not offered religious exemption to anyone.

I'm not going to try to offer you advice here, but I will point out that what you are asking for is going to be exceptionally difficult to achieve. Probably not absolutely impossible, but extremely challenging. Stick to your beliefs if you must, but understand that doing so may well lock you out of a career in healthcare. I guess the best you can do is probably to reach out to the schools that have accepted you and have a candid conversation about what's possible.
Thank you for this. Obviously not the answer I wanted to hear, but very helpful for me. Wish everyone on this site was as respectful as you! God bless you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you to all who have responded, I think I get the gist! In hopes of this not becoming a contentious thread of argument, which I have begun to be guilty of myself, I will probably stop responding so much now. I appreciate you all for responding to a confused and concerned prospective medical student!

Status
Not open for further replies.