MD school applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rough rule of thumb: # accepts = 2-3x those of matriculants. It's 2x at my school; I believe it's closer to 3x at LizzyM's school, which is located in the stratosphere.
I'm interpreting "located in the stratosphere" to mean elite-tier.

Why would the ratio of matriculants to acceptances be lower at a top school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing that top applicants have their pick of the buffet. You may think "what? someone's going to turn down Harvard??", and the answer is yes, if they prefer Stanford, JHU, Cornell, etc.

I'm interpreting "located in the stratosphere" to mean elite-tier.

Why would the ratio of matriculants to acceptances be lower at a top school?

Reactions: 1 user
Rough rule of thumb: # accepts = 2-3x those of matriculants. It's 2x at my school; I believe it's closer to 3x at LizzyM's school, which is located in the stratosphere.
@Goro sorry I did not understand what do you mean by 2x-3x soory to bother you again

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I guess I didnot explain well I meant that've the mcat and GPA of OOS accepted applicants is towards the higher range or in middle of the percentile published in MSAR

Meaning schools accept about 2-3 as many people as they have seats for. We overbook because people decide to go elsewhere. It's an Admissions dean art form as to how they get just the right amount of people and don't overfill the Class on orientation day!

@Goro sorry I did not understand what do you mean by 2x-3x soory to bother you again

Unfortunately we just see the ranges for matriculants in MSAR. One can surmise that the acceptee pool is similar.
Thanks for reply so it eillbe better idea to match percentile of mcat GPA and percentage of accepted/matriculate OOS

I don't believe U Miami has a stated preference for Floridians, and OP's MCAT score is < the school's 10th %ile.
I just checked their site; they definitely used to have a preference for Floridians in the past, but it looks like they no longer give preference for admissions. They do still give Florida residents a break for tuition purposes. Good to know.

Miller School of Medicine Admissions Website said:
Florida Residents
Since the School of Medicine is no longer subsidized by the State of Florida, Florida residents are not given preference in admissions decisions. For tuition purposes, a Florida resident is one whose parents or guardians (or the applicant, if independent) have established legal residence in, and resided permanently in, the State of Florida for twelve consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of classes. Applicants can not claim Florida residency simply on the fact that they lived in Florida coincident with attending a college or university. To receive initial consideration as a Florida resident, applicants must declare Florida as their state of residence on their AMCAS application. Exceptions to this requirement will not be granted.

U Miami has more OOS in their Class than IS, but it's still easier as Floridian to get an II than OOS (16% vs 3.5%). Perversely, it's easier for those OOSers who interviewed to matriculate than ISers! (58% vs 27%!) This is, I think unique among med schools. A lot of good applicants must want to go to Miami, Burmese pythons, alligators, hubcap-sized hissing cockroaches and humidity notwithstanding.

I just checked their site; they definitely used to have a preference for Floridians in the past, but it looks like they no longer give preference for admissions. They do still give Florida residents a break for tuition purposes. Good to know.

It must be the Cuban sandwiches, Goro. That's the allure.

Reactions: 1 user
U Miami has more OOS in their Class than IS, but it's still easier as Floridian to get an II than OOS (16% vs 3.5%). Perversely, it's easier for those OOSers who interviewed to matriculate than ISers! (58% vs 27%!) This is, I think unique among med schools. A lot of good applicants must want to go to Miami, Burmese pythons, alligators, hubcap-sized hissing cockroaches and humidity notwithstanding.
Hi I forgot to add that I am an URM Latino female