MD reapplication advice (really long, sorry!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pablohoney16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-deleted-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would be prudent to add some DO schools to your list. You're fine for any fo them, including mine.

Your new MCAT is hypothetical at the moment. Your sGPA is indeed a weak point; the cGPA is a tad below avg.

Strongly suggest an investment in MSAR Online and apply strategically; ie, to schools whose median scores are close to your own. Examples would be Rush, Temple, Rosy Franklin, Drexel, NYMC, Loma Linda (but read thier abstinence policy first).

I am preparing to reapply to MD programs in June 2014, having just applied in June 2013, and am eager to get your opinion on my reapplication strategy. I made some big mistakes in my approach last year, and as a result I did not receive a single interview invite. I know I can vastly improve in a few areas, but I want to know if you think it will be enough to push me over the edge. All advice is welcome and appreciated!

2013 application:
Primary Submitted 7/22/13, Secondaries Submitted August-Jan
3.55 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA from Cornell University, Biological Sciences
MCAT= 29 8/10/11 (taken early August 2013)
Committee Letter= 4 year varsity athletic coach, advisor who I worked closely with TAing a science course, current PI that I tech for
Research Experience= 1 year of full time employment at a top 20 med school, no publications on primary
Volunteer experience= 200 hours total in 3 big urban hospitals, 50 non-clincal
Shadowing Experience= 2 doctors, 50 hours each, no letters
Other: 4 year varsity athlete in college
School List= 30 schools, too top heavy (expected higher MCAT based on practice tests)

So as you can see, my application was kind of a mess.

These are the things I know I can work on and improve for the 2014 cycle:
Timing= submit first day, quick turnaround on secondaries (within 3 days of receiving them is my goal)
MCAT= currently studying to retake May 2014, went part-time at my job to make this more plausible
Letters= requesting two additional letters, 1 from volunteering program that I've been with since Jan 2013, and one from supervisor in lab that I work closely with
Research= 2 years now, a few publications, working on a first author paper
Clinical=looking to add some shadowing (maybe get a letter) while I am part-time at my job, only if I can do so without hurting my MCAT preparation. Also, will be looking to change job in June to a more clinical position so that I have a new activity to update on/talk about in interviews (and I am personally ready for a change)
School List= manage expectations. less reach, more reasonable. all MD
Essay= will re-write. I don't think this was an issue, but I don't like the idea of applying with the same essay...I've undoubtedly grown this past year and have new things to say!

So...with the timing and MCAT issues addressed, which are obviously my two biggest issues...how does my plan look to you?

I think that you should try another app cycle and see how it goes. A key question you'll have to answer is "how have you improved since your last app cycle?" If you're still shut out from MD school, then an SMP is in order, but a big jump in your MCAT grades is also expected. (>30). The avg MCAT score for MD acceptees is 32.

I think my main concern is that my GPA is still pretty crappy (3.35 sGPA), but at this time I don't think I am in a position to improve upon it. That would require me to wait until 2015 to apply, which is something I am not looking to do. Do you think a postbacc/SMP is necessary for academic enhancement, or do you agree that with improved timing and MCAT score I will be okay.

Thanks so much, I know this was a long and detailed post...I just wanted to give you guys all relevant info!
I will likely be posting again to get your feedback on a school list...so brace yourselves! Thanks again![/quote]

Thanks for your reply Goro! Yea, I agree that my numbers match up well with DO schools, I will look into that. I was hesitant to add them to my list of schools as I haven't shadowed any DO's, and therefore don't have a DO letter. This was a problem a friend of mine was having when looking for DO schools to apply to. But its something I definitely have and will continue to consider.

In your opinion do you think it would be worth it for me to do an SMP/academic enhancing post bacc? Most people I talk to tell me that my numbers are right on the cusp, and given my upward grade trend, its probably not going to make as big of an impact as I would hope....and that I'm better off trying to build other areas of my application. But its something I still think about, and I would love to get some SDNers opinions on it!

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!