MD plus MBA/MPH/MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mward04

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Numerous people talk about getting a degree in addition to their MD so that they are qualified to go into healthcare business. I've heard many people passionately argue for the MPH and the MHA as opposed to the MBA.

As you can probably (hopefully) tell from my previous posts, I'm pro-MBA. My brief thoughts are that I want to learn about other industries, get a hardcore business education and get away from people that only think about healthcare-I think that can be detrimental. Plus, you have more credibility with an MBA especially if you want to branch out beyond medicine.

Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely prefer an MBA. Medicine is a business just like anything else. People owe it to themselves to learn how to think and act in a business like manner.

The greatest advantage, as Michael pointed out, is versatility. Who knows how medicine will change? Health care costs are trending upwards with double-digit inflation! Major billion dollar revenue companies are now lobbying for health care reform because it is becoming too expensive for them to insure a working population -- that's scary.

I don't know what the future holds for medicine, but I know that it will undergo many changes.

I feel like the MBA has made me ready for those changes when they come. Whether it be taking advantage of different revenue services or running an organization, I'll be ready -- whatever the challenge.

And I believe the other MBA's will be ready also.

In many ways, I think it depends on what institution you are at and what you hope to gain, and probably most importantly your background.

Those at integrated MD/MBA programs or places with Healthcare specific MBAs (e.g. Duke) often have at least a few classes on the health care industry. This is certainly information that you can pick up on your own, but you'll have to work to connect the dots. The health care industry has it's own specifics that need to be mastered. This is something that a GOOD MHSA/MHA can sometimes teach you.

For those looking to jump out of healthcare, an MBA is a no brainer v. an MPH or MHSA as it is certainly more versatile and opens up many other doors. For those looking for healthcare jobs, either is somewhat acceptable for most things, in my experience. In many ways your MD/DO is more important than the MPH/MHSA/MBA in getting your foot in the door for those jobs.

Whichever you do, I would recommend trying to take some classes at the other school to get their perspective as you will be working with those people a lot.