MD + Physiotherapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linux distro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm interested in pursuing both an MD degree as well as MSc physiotherapy degree. From what I can tell, this isn't a common route, but does anyone know if there are opportunities both clinically and business wise by being trained in both disciplines? Also I should mention I'm in Canada, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to pursue both?

That's a lot of schooling! Have you thought about being an osteopath? It's a good mix of both...and will save you a ton of money on tuition....

yeah, that's true, I understand it'll be a lot of school. But I hope it will be worth it. Basically, I'm hoping to work half the week working as a physiotherapist and half the week as a doctor.

Unfortunately, I'm already in the depths of my allopath training, so just wondering if it would be a good idea to apply to physiotherapy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, that's true, I understand it'll be a lot of school. But I hope it will be worth it. Basically, I'm hoping to work half the week working as a physiotherapist and half the week as a doctor.

Unfortunately, I'm already in the depths of my allopath training, so just wondering if it would be a good idea to apply to physiotherapy school.

Have you looked into PM&R (physiatry) as a specialty? Seems like the perfect solution to what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiatry

I agree, PM&R may be your next best bet since you're already on the allopath route.

I can't imagine that changing hats between MD and PT would be easy (for yourself or your patients). I suggest doing the physiatry route...and be extra good and collaborative with the PTs rehabbing your patients :D

that's true. but my family/friends have a physiotherapy business which they hope for me to help them run. and this requires a physiotherapy degree.

In addition, I actually want to pursue an unrelated specialty (not physiatry)...

I don't know, i'm just figuring out if going through the whole physiotherapy route is worth it.

Hi all. I'm a new member here and have never really posted in forums before. I have been looking at the OT and PT forums quite a bit lately and I was so excited to find this post.

I also am considering the MD plus either OT or PT route (leaning more toward OT though I think). It's a very unusual career path so I'm so happy I found someone else who is interested in it. I am currently a 4th year medical student. I was considering going into PMR, but from what I understand you become more of a coordinator. I really would like to help patients "hands on" - I mean that's why I went into medicine. I think having both degrees will help me open my own private practice. Geriatrics is really my passion as far as what patient population I want to specialize in (my grandparents really influenced me a lot).
:)

I also am considering the MD plus either OT or PT route (leaning more toward OT though I think). It's a very unusual career path so I'm so happy I found someone else who is interested in it. I am currently a 4th year medical student. I was considering going into PMR, but from what I understand you become more of a coordinator. I really would like to help patients "hands on" - I mean that's why I went into medicine. I think having both degrees will help me open my own private practice. Geriatrics is really my passion as far as what patient population I want to specialize in (my grandparents really influenced me a lot).
:)

Do you regret not going DO?

Actually I never really knew very much about the DO program at the time of applying to medicine. I don't think I regret it since I can just add on to my medical degree and specialize in PT. Even if I had done DO, I think having a PT or OT degree really gives you much more specific, refined, and needed knowledge in order to treat patients through therapy.

On the bright side of having an MD degree, at least I will be able to write prescriptions for needed patient equipment. Plus when I retake anatomy again when I go from my doctorate, I'll have a completely different perspective from when I took it as a first year student. Having seen a lot more now in surgery and stuff, I actually might enjoy it instead of anatomy being the blizzard of unrelated facts it was at the beginning of my career. I guess those would be the positive to switching my career (or maybe altering is a better word) so late in the game.