Md/Ph.D. letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyJ

Is my mask on straight?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Id like to ask anyone thats been through the last couple app cycles how letters are handled in the process. My school drafts a comitee letter and sends the packet of letters to the schools Im applying to.

Ive been looking at some of the MSTP websites and some have special recommendation forms that ask crapload of questions about my special qualities and other irritating information they can glean from my AMCAS. My concern is that the PIs Ive worked for are busy guys and asking them to fill out these special forms for each school can be fubar.

So in a nutshell, how anal are the MSTP admissions office in getting the letters they need from the general MD admissions office and what schools are sticklers for the rules.

Members don't see this ad.

JohnnyJ said:
So in a nutshell, how anal are the MSTP admissions office in getting the letters they need from the general MD admissions office and what schools are sticklers for the rules.

They're not. I know several very successful applicants who ignored the forms and were accepted anyways. I filled out all the forms and was rejected pre- or post-interview at every school that used them. One could say that if you're a borderline applicant to begin with, that it might hurt you. Perhaps that's true. But, it's not going to make or break your application.

Hi,
I didn't know about the special forms for the letters of recommendations for MSTP programs. Do all most MD/PhD programs request these? Also, do you submit them in addition to the standard reference letter that you send to all your medical school?

I asked my PI for a reference letter for my application so I would have it ready to send out when my secondaries arrive. However, I'm wondering if I should wait until these forms get sent to me.

-Huxley

Members don't see this ad :)
There's only three MSTPs that I'm aware of that ask for the forms: WashU, Pitt, and someone else I'm blanking on. Does anyone know the one I'm forgetting and any others? In any case, it's not most programs that require special LOR forms, and it's not even very many.

Again, I don't think it's a big deal, but if you're really paranoid...

It seems like I remember a few more schools asking for special forms; however I started the application process around 3 years ago and the med school stuff has overwritten that info in my memory banks. :confused:

I agree with Neuronix, I could see it hurting you at some of the "reach" schools perhaps, but if you are a strong candidate they arent going to reject you based on filling the forms out.

I think the reason they ask for those forms is because they get some letters that dont really address research aptitude, which is the key info they want. As long as your letter writers include strong content on your research experiences, abilities, and scientific aptitude it shouldnt hurt you.

There's a lot of misinformation being given out on SDN regarding these kinds of formalities. I remember when I was applying that everybody on SDN was saying that if you dont type out those premade application forms used for secondary applications, its an automatic rejection. Not true at all. I filled out most of mine by hand, and the school I attend was one of those and I still got accepted.

Gradient Echo said:
I remember when I was applying that everybody on SDN was saying that if you dont type out those premade application forms used for secondary applications, its an automatic rejection.

They still said that in pre-allo when I was applying last year. The thing is I don't know any schools left that don't have an online secondary or provide online access to it. So it's alot easier to print them out now.

I agree there's alot of misinformation, but most of it stems from pre-med paranoia :) Hopefully in this form we have enough med students to keep the neuroticism at bay!