MD or Residency Interviews: Avoid any Mentioning of Business-related Topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At mid- and lower-tier schools that are likely more interested in producing primary care physicians and specialized physicians to serve their local community (eg. NYMC, Wayne State, Penn State), should an applicant with certain exposure to business avoid any mentioning of business-related topics at interviews? Eg. Personality being very competitive, result-orientated, creative with methods of efficiency, etc.

While I realize one can argue that a surgeon can compete against disease and time, while making sure that the patient survives with good prognosis, and not generate financial waste, medical school adcoms seem to dislike business practices in general, and only focus on producing doctors who are compassionate and will only focus on patient-care (and maybe a little bit of research). I understand that US News top-20 schools are more likely to favor applicants with very diverse interests in public health and business administration, ie. potential leaders in medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

At mid- and lower-tier schools that are likely more interested in producing primary care physicians and specialized physicians to serve their local community (eg. NYMC, Wayne State, Penn State), should an applicant with certain exposure to business avoid any mentioning of business-related topics at interviews? Eg. Personality being very competitive, result-orientated, creative with methods of efficiency, etc.

While I realize one can argue that a surgeon can compete against disease and time, while making sure that the patient survives with good prognosis, and not generate financial waste, medical school adcoms seem to dislike business practices in general, and only focus on producing doctors who are compassionate and will only focus on patient-care (and maybe a little bit of research). I understand that US News top-20 schools are more likely to favor applicants with very diverse interests in public health and business administration, ie. potential leaders in medicine.

I think interviewers are simply different people... Some will see great value in an applicant with business experience/pedigree. Others will be ambivalent. Others will be suspicious (i.e. "oh, look the business person abandoned ship in a recession and now wants to be a physician.")

That said, I like to think that more people will be positive/neutral about it than negative. The positive skills/attributes imparted from business experience are undeniable in healthcare settings (more now than say, 20 years ago).

Last edited: