MD/MPH = MD + watered-down Epi MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious about people's opinions about the quality of MD/MPH programs. I've heard a few people, here and elsewhere, complain that the MPH portion of MD/MPH programs are too watered-down. Links to curricula would be nice.

Here's the MD/MPH program at my school: http://www.ahc.umn.edu/ahc_content/...ic_Health_Medicine.htm&pic=none&bold=Students

Coming from an Epi MPH background, I'm baised towards thinking that epi is the far superior program in the world of public health, and my comments are mostly intended for those who are most interested in epi and are debating a full epi MPH vs. the MD/MPH.

My complaint is that the epi course is a "fundamentals of epi" as opposed to the full year of epi that the epi MPH people take, and the year of biostats is covered in the summer and then spring (so not sequentially), and is again the lower-level biostats. No course in data collection is covered, and essentially only one elective is required.

Members don't see this ad.

That's why it's probably a better idea to take an MPH before medical school, during a year off from med school, or after medical school/during residency.