MD/MPH - Does institution matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennislover1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm hoping someone could help me out!

I'm a current M2 at a northeastern state MD school and I've decided to take a year off after M3 to get my MPH. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts as to how much the MPH institution matters when it comes to medical students. I would like to make community health a large part of my career as a physician and I want to spend time working with disadvantaged populations. However, I don't know if choosing a less prestigious school would hamper my ability to do so.

Specifically, I like the timing and options that the Harvard MPH program provides; I'd definitely be able to concentrate on healthcare disparities and interventions which is where my interests lie. However, Charles Drew University has a program in Urban Public Health which is more specifically tailored to what I'm thinking in my career. I doubt having a degree from Harvard would close any doors, but I'm worried that Drew might. In addition, as a URM student the pull of such a tailored program at an HBCU is enticing.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone has into this scenario!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have research-oriented goals in mind for the future, going to a school like Harvard would be a major asset. However, if research is not a big plan for you future, any accredited program should provide you the skills and knowledge you need for community health.