MD/MBA vs. MD competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radnerd

Reaction score
I am a traditional ORM applying this cycle.

I am interested in healthcare management and want to pursue an MD/MBA dual degree.
However, I am a bit hesitant to apply for a dual degree at this moment because it may make things more complex and because it would require assessment and acceptance by two different schools. Moreover, most schools allow applying for MBA after 2nd or 3rd year of medical school.

I am unsure if applying to MD/MBA initially in AMCAS could potentially make me a more competitive candidate or, instead, it will compromise my chances. In other words, should I apply for a dual degree in amcas or wait until the second-year MS? Which is a better approach and enhance my chances of acceptance?

Please guide.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why don't you in your app briefly discuss your interest in ultimately a role that is both clinical and management related and say you are open to pursuing an MBA along side your MD while in med school as opposed to applying now to both programs. You are correct, it will add work and complicate things. You may also change your mind while in med school.

As long as the programs you are applying to have dual degree programs that allow you to apply to MBA after your second or third year of med school, you'll be better off if you wait. Applying to med school is hard enough on its own.

Reactions: 2 users
Why don't you in your app briefly discuss your interest in ultimately a role that is both clinical and management related and say you are open to pursuing an MBA along side your MD while in med school as opposed to applying now to both programs. You are correct, it will add work and complicate things. You may also change your mind while in med school.

As long as the programs you are applying to have dual degree programs that allow you to apply to MBA after your second or third year of med school, you'll be better off if you wait. Applying to med school is hard enough on its own.

Thank you so much. Yes- I have discussed it in my secondaries where I have an option, and the school provides a dual degree option.

Coming from you- a qualified and experienced advisor- further reinforces my thought that I should stay with the MD application.

Once again- thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Can you elaborate a little on the second part? I am trying to dig a little deeper into the dual degree pathway and the MBA track pops up a lot. I've seen some folks do it during their 3rd year or adding a 5th year to accomplish it, but I have no idea what track makes the most sense, objectively.

For instance, if I did it during the 4th year in lieu of elective rotations, I would opt for that. Does this timing depend entirely on the school you attend and whether they accommodate med students or is it more about when you choose to go?

Agreeing:

MD/MBA isn't like applying MD/PhD where there is much more known. It may help you narrow your school list, and if you do well at least in M1, you could position yourself well for a petition to do the MBA. Figure out which schools give you mentors to help you.

Noting: not all MD/MBA's are focused on healthcare admin. Many are focused on industry or innovation tracks. Nothing wrong with that, but make sure you keep your options open. Otherwise, tack on an MHA later on in your training... that would be perfectly acceptable provided you can find the time to add that on. Ditto for an MBA.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you elaborate a little on the second part? I am trying to dig a little deeper into the dual degree pathway and the MBA track pops up a lot. I've seen some folks do it during their 3rd year or adding a 5th year to accomplish it, but I have no idea what track makes the most sense, objectively.

For instance, if I did it during the 4th year in lieu of elective rotations, I would opt for that. Does this timing depend entirely on the school you attend and whether they accommodate med students or is it more about when you choose to go?
The timing of the masters year depends on the school and the way it has structured its dual degree program. Also, realize that if you forego elective rotations, you may be limiting your residency options. Most of the dual degree programs that I have seen ask you to add a year.

As usual the best path depends on your goals. If you are interested primarily in being a clinician, you probably don't want to do the business degree in lieu of a year of rotations. Adding a year to complete the masters would make more sense. If you are primarily interested in management in a healthcare setting, that's a different story. Then you would be more attracted to med schools that offer that MBA option.

However, getting into med school is hard enough. First apply to med schools that have a dual degree option and where you are competitive. If and when you have multiple acceptances you can figure out which of the dual degree programs is the best fit for you.

In other words, while doing this research and considering the dual degree options is a good idea, don't put the cart before the horse.

The timing of the masters year depends on the school and the way it has structured its dual degree program. Also, realize that if you forego elective rotations, you may be limiting your residency options. Most of the dual degree programs that I have seen ask you to add a year.

As usual the best path depends on your goals. If you are interested primarily in being a clinician, you probably don't want to do the business degree in lieu of a year of rotations. Adding a year to complete the masters would make more sense. If you are primarily interested in management in a healthcare setting, that's a different story. Then you would be more attracted to med schools that offer that MBA option.

However, getting into med school is hard enough. First apply to med schools that have a dual degree option and where you are competitive. If and when you have multiple acceptances you can figure out which of the dual degree programs is the best fit for you.

In other words, while doing this research and considering the dual degree options is a good idea, don't put the cart before the horse.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Which schools allows you to apply for MD/MBA. I thought most programs you apply in 3rd year.

Trivial fact: overall, about 97% of students who begin US Allopathic medical schools will ultimately earn their MD degrees With more than half of the attrition due to non-academic reasons. However, 100% students in MD/MBA programs ultimately earn their MD degree. By the way, the largest attrition rate is from students in BS/MD programs at 4.8% in this number is only those who actually start MD. Percentage of those who drop out prior is unknown.