MD/MBA joint program or wait until after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDwayneJohnson

Maester of the Citadel in training
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions on pursuing an MBA at the same time as your MD to get the training out of the way or waiting until after residency so it's more fresh in the mind. I'll be attending a state school with a middle of the pack MBA program (not trying for Wharton or anything like that) and was hoping to get some advice on pursuing the joint program now or waiting. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the advise to get the MBA while in medical school or after residency. Taking a year "off" between medical school and residency would it make for a rough transition to starting out as an intern - both because info would be less fresh in your head and because you wouldn't be used to the long hours and touch schedule anymore.

Aside form that, though, I don't think it matters when you get an MBA in terms of how it will benefit your career or job search. Employers won't even pay attention to how long you've had the MBA or whether you did a combined program.