This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zero_Nature

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can one be a doctor as a DO and an MD?

I used to have this professor that went on and on about how a student of his was a doctor of both osteopathy and medicine. His story goes as she was a DO student who just had to take a test to also get her MD while she was taking her exams for DO. He said that DO exams were harder as they encompassed the whole of the body when determining a solution, so it was nothing for her to just get her MD as well. I've been doing some of my research, but I don't see much on the subject. Basically, I am asking whether or not one can become both an MD and a DO doctor without having to go through medical school twice. Would it even be beneficial to have both when a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Once I got my MD degree, I just took my Bar b/c med school was so much harder. I will be getting my PHD in engineering tomorrow too.

Reactions: 9 users
Your professor is ignorant. MD and DO are two separate degrees that both allow you to to practice medicine as a physician in any specialty (though MDs are more likely to get into surgical and certain other competitive residencies). Both MDs and DOs receive education in treating the entire patient, but DOs receive additional training in something called called osteopathic manipulative medicine - similar to chiropracty - which they rarely use in practice. The OMM training does not make them better (or worse) physicians. There is no reason why someone would get both an MD and DO degree, and you cannot simply pass a test to the get the other degree after you've obtained one of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve met a D.O. who told me years ago, she was able to purchase something or do something of some sort where she is now able to go by M.D. in her last name

Edit: she also did this many years ago, and I think she told me it’s no longer possible. Also there was a bigger stigma against D.O. back then so I’m sure there were osteopathic physicians pressured to do it
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Basically, I am asking whether or not one can become both an MD and a DO doctor without having to go through medical school twice.

No. And getting both degrees would be highly redundant and therefore incredibly stupid.

In the 1960's the Pacific College of Osteopathy was absorbed by the UC system and became the UC Irvine School of Medicine. This led to an interesting period where some DO students ended up being granted MD degrees.

Reactions: 1 user
No. And getting both degrees would be highly redundant and therefore incredibly stupid.

In the 1960's the Pacific College of Osteopathy was absorbed by the UC system and became the UC Irvine School of Medicine. This led to an interesting period where some DO students ended up being granted MD degrees.
The California story as alluded to by my learned colleague is a really interesting one. Basically, the MDs in CA tried to extirpate the profession in that state by simply allowing DOs to convert their degree to MD for a nominal sum. As part of this deal, the CA DO school swapped side, so to speak, as mentioned above.

But the MDs (I think it was the CA branch of AMA) overplayed their hand by trying to prevent new DOs from setting up practice in the state, which led to a successful restraint of trade lawsuit by the AOA.

One has to admire the ruthlessness of the scheme!