MCW vs UTHSC (Tennessee, state school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violingirl2

Reaction score
MCW $84k/year

Pros
  • Really positive impression on interview/ second look days
  • Strong match list (specifically radiation oncology)
  • Dedicated study time 3 half days per week
  • "Tracks" for Global Health, etc.
  • Students seem really happy to be there
  • Pass/Fail Pre-clinical and no internal rank- think this would be good for mental health/burnout
  • More diverse student body
Cons
  • Cost- worried about being able to afford rent/eat during repayment in residency
  • Does not participate in USNWR ranks?
Neutral: Used to Nashville and Milwaukee is not as busy/exciting

UTHSC (in-state) $66k/year

Pros
  • Cost
  • Ranked in the 60s for USNWR
  • Similar rad onc matches
  • St. Jude's nearby, opportunity to do clinical years in Nashville
  • State of the art ultrasound lab

Cons
  • Preclinical grades are letter grades
  • Campus- I liked how MCW is more cohesive as a campus, all together in one place; UTHSC felt more spread out and less safe to me

Summary: I guess my dilemma is is it a bad idea to pay more for a school that has similar matches in the specialty I want/ that I like more?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
$72k over 4 years isn't that much tbh, and Milwaukee could be a nice experience for you. You could always match back down to the South for residency. Plus if you practice down South, you're gonna make more with a lower COL anyway, so can pay off loans more quickly.

I think Tennessee is the way to go in this case. In my opinion, state flagships are perceived better than a lot of mid to low tier private schools and it’s cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@voxveritatisetlucis @I’mInDer! Thank you both so much! One thing I forgot to include is that in PD rankings, MCW is 42 and UTHSC is 69, so I feel like MCW is an exception to the rule?

MCW actually has a fine reputation, and even has an MSTP (which UT does not have). I think reps are def equivalent here. I do think a case can be made for UT being cheaper, but you don't really even have any cons for MCW, which is why I think it's a valid choice. Like you clearly like them quite a bit better than UT, and pass/fail plus no internal ranking is HUGE....trust me lol

Reactions: 1 user