MCPHS vs Cali Northstate? Anyone help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daina12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm a Cali resident. I really need help with deciding between MCPHS worcester or CNCP. For me even though being able to stay in cali maybe easier, but I want to base my decision for on which school will better prepare me for entering the job market in the future.

It sounds like CNCP is a great school and you can learn things, but I'm really worried about their ability to get full accred, and their finance. Their library and lab kind of sucked (seriously, the library is smaller than my living room:eek:. Not much book collection at all. maybe we don't need all that:confused:) i bet the other lab building down the street would be much better, but we never got to see it (maybe if i saw it is a really nice one, it would ease my decision more). If they can get accreditation, I would go there for sure (However, there is always the chance that they ran out money or the program just crumbled). However, compare to MCPHS, i really think i would do better with CNCP's style of learning - a lot of case studies and learn by applied what you learned.

MCPHS is for sure bet, but a lot of the students don't think they are learning much (some from people who failed, but one person gave a really bad review even after being able to graduate and said didn't learn much). I'm worried first if I can graduate, and second if I can learn things, and third the difficulty of finding a job back at cali.

CNCP:
-is located in Cali (love the location and possible easier for future practice in Cali)
- like the style of learning
- candidate status
- i'm worried about their finance, and ability to obtain full accreditation
- super expensive $40k/year for 4 years (even though I would be able to get loan for it)

MCPHS worcester:
- 3 years of hell
- less tuition
- large amount of students drop out the school(some really bad reviews, not learning much (rushing things???)
- cramping down things too quickly and unhealth living for 3 years
- fully accredited
- located in Massachusetts

Thank you guys so much for helping.

Members don't see this ad.

CNCP will get accredited when they graduate their first class in 2012, so you will have to take out private loans your first year. Since you're an CA resident, CNCP will allow you to network in NorCal and it might be easier to find a job after you graduate. I know quite a few CA residents go to MCPHS as well, but I don't know what kind of network they have when they relocate back to CA.

Are you interested in doing research while at CNCP? I believe lab facilities down the street are only for faculty research. When I talked to the faculty during my interview they mentioned no students were participating in research. During my interview, I also thought their library and pharmacy lab was very disappointing.

I don't go to either school, but from reading your post I'd lean towards CNCP. You should also compare the cost of living in Rancho Cordova and Worcester.

CNCP will get accredited when they graduate their first class in 2012, so you will have to take out private loans your first year. Since you're an CA resident, CNCP will allow you to network in NorCal and it might be easier to find a job after you graduate. I know quite a few CA residents go to MCPHS as well, but I don't know what kind of network they have when they relocate back to CA.

Are you interested in doing research while at CNCP? I believe lab facilities down the street are only for faculty research. When I talked to the faculty during my interview they mentioned no students were participating in research. During my interview, I also thought their library and pharmacy lab was very disappointing.

I don't go to either school, but from reading your post I'd lean towards CNCP. You should also compare the cost of living in Rancho Cordova and Worcester.

Yeah I agree with 30percent on this. If you are planning on practicing in CA, then it may be easier for you to find a job after graduation if you are able to do rotations and network through CNCP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am leaning toward CNCP, too. However, candidate status does not guarantee of obtaining full accreditation status after graduating their first class. Furthermore, in fact a lot of the schools takes longer after graduated their first class and some may ran our of money and crumble :(. They said "hopefully" they have everything set up and ready to pass it by then. However, it really is not a guarantee. I really hope they can get it by then, but... what if

man, are you just hate "what if"s in life?

regarding the cost, worcester is cheaper. However, the cost to me is around the same. the cheapest on campus living cost $100 for a private room sharing bathroom with 3 people, and kitchen with 6. hehe :laugh: however, i most likely would not stay in one like that maybe still the other choices of sharing with less people and cost about $500. In general, about the same.

regarding the cost, worcester is cheaper. However, the cost to me is around the same. the cheapest on campus living cost $100 for a private room sharing bathroom with 3 people, and kitchen with 6. hehe :laugh: however, i most likely would not stay in one like that maybe still the other choices of sharing with less people and cost about $500. In general, about the same.

Did you apply to other schools? Are you still waiting to hear back from any other schools? Personally, the attrition rate at MCPHS Worcester is high- 1 out of 3 people fail out. My interviewer told me back in November. That kind of scared me. If I were you, I would wait a year and reapply (if you don't mind waiting) and try getting into a better CA school and one that is accredited. This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure which is better between MCPHS and Northstate.

I am leaning toward CNCP, too. However, candidate status does not guarantee of obtaining full accreditation status after graduating their first class. Furthermore, in fact a lot of the schools takes longer after graduated their first class and some may ran our of money and crumble :(. They said "hopefully" they have everything set up and ready to pass it by then. However, it really is not a guarantee. I really hope they can get it by then, but... what if

man, are you just hate "what if"s in life?

Yeah. It sucks not knowing what's going to happen. I actually received an interview to this school before I heard back from USC. It took me a few days to really do research and decide if I wanted to go to the interview or not. The accreditation status did freak me out and I also did not like that it was a stand alone pharmacy school and a for profit school.

yeah, the attribution rate worries me, too. I am still waiting for other schools. I was put on high alternate for touro CA and hold for western after interview, accepted at MCPHS, touro NY-candidate (forfeit), CNCP. Wiating to hear back from Purdue after my interview- end of march to beginning of april.

yeah, the attribution rate worries me, too. I am still waiting for other schools. I was put on high alternate for touro CA and hold for western after interview, accepted at MCPHS, touro NY-candidate (forfeit), CNCP. Wiating to hear back from Purdue after my interview- end of march to beginning of april.

When did you want to make your decision by? You still have a chance to hear back from Western or Touro. If you still have time, I think you should wait it out until it is really necessary to finalize your decision.

the 20th is my deadline to put down deposit for northstate $1500. Just want to know what do people think about CNCP and their finaces since it's a stand alone and for profit school.

Last edited: