MChD program at ANU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drvfedorov

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a couple of questions about this program, since it seems like it is the only program that guarantees internship position to its grads.

How competitive is the admission? I ask this because how come there aren't many international students posting about their experiences there, is it because there aren't many there (vs. UQ, USyd, and others?).

Does it still offer similar abroad clinical elective options (US or CAN)?

How is the teaching there (any personal experiences)?

Thank you,

V

Members don't see this ad.

Just had a couple of questions about this program, since it seems like it is the only program that guarantees internship position to its grads.

How competitive is the admission? I ask this because how come there aren't many international students posting about their experiences there, is it because there aren't many there (vs. UQ, USyd, and others?).

Thank you,

V
Bump

Thank you,

V

I have heard about many international students not being offered interview and their mysterious and slow processing of application. Other than that, not much info about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard about many international students not being offered interview and their mysterious and slow processing of application. Other than that, not much info about it.

That's interesting. It seems like the safest option for intl students, yet I have never come across any intl actually there.

That's interesting. It seems like the safest option for intl students, yet I have never come across any intl actually there.
I think many international students have planed to take license exam to go back to Canada or US so they may not necessarily choose the university that guarantee internship? I think majority of international students aim for Usyd and UQ.

That's a good point, but surely the prep for CAD/US exams cannot be that much more different at ANU. I mean it's mostly self-study anyways.

Just received an interview offer. Does anyone know what I can expect from the interview?

hey congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Converted to the ANU scale, I have a high 6.0 GPA and a 509 MCAT. Did you end up getting an offer as well?

I got interview offer as well. My GPA was around 5.8/7 in AUS scale and 510 MCAT and 67 GAMSAT

that's awesome. I never ended up applying, in hindsight I probably should have.

Is there anyone who has been accepted? Could you please share your stats?

I'm wondering why ANU is rarely talked about since it's the only program that guarantees internship spots for international students.

Is there anyone who has been accepted? Could you please share your stats?

I'm wondering why ANU is rarely talked about since it's the only program that guarantees internship spots for international students.

Late response, but I've been accepted and am going to start classes in Feb. 509 MCAT, 6.89 GPA. I also have no idea, but it might be because ozztrek isn't partnered with ANU. Also, ANU only accepted 10 internationals this cohort. Canberra also leaves a lot to be desired when compared to Melbourne or Sydney.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Seems I am late for the party! I have been offered a place to study at ANU and was wondering if anyone would like to share their study experience at ANU as I couldnt find much information about their MChD programme anywhere. ANU has reasonably good ranking overall (top 20 according to this year's QS) but apparently their medical programme didn't do as well as their overall (way behind UQ Usyd melbourne etc). Is it because this is a relatively new course? What do you guys think is more important, ranking or guaranteed internship? Many thanks!

so, no one really cares about world rankings.
it's kinda meaningless unless you're in the states. there's so few medical schools in Australia. None will hold the same "prestige" as Harvard or Oxford either.

jobs are most important. without one, doesn't matter how great the ranking is, the degree is useless.

it's not a guaranteed internship. yes you get good priority, but that was in the days the international cohort was small. it's grown.

also, have thought about after internship?
at the moment, that's likely all you'll get. internship, 3-4 years of resident rotations. But you wouldn't be able to finish vocational training in that length of time in Australia (the US and Canada yes, Australia no, even for FM).

so, no one really cares about world rankings.
it's kinda meaningless unless you're in the states. there's so few medical schools in Australia. None will hold the same "prestige" as Harvard or Oxford either.

jobs are most important. without one, doesn't matter how great the ranking is, the degree is useless.

it's not a guaranteed internship. yes you get good priority, but that was in the days the international cohort was small. it's grown.

also, have thought about after internship?
at the moment, that's likely all you'll get. internship, 3-4 years of resident rotations. But you wouldn't be able to finish vocational training in that length of time in Australia (the US and Canada yes, Australia no, even for FM).

Hi there! Thanks for your reply:)

Ranking wise, I do think it is an overrated topic, but it definitely tells us something. I can't say much about north america, but here in the UK, I can tell you that the unis like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL came tops mostly because of their outstanding research rather than their education (not that I am saying their medical education is bad). What I do care is their teaching quality, parter teaching hospital, student satisfaction and career prospect. ANU is out of the top 50 in terms of their medicine programme, what I am interested in is what makes the ranking of this programme not as good-looking as their overall ranking, that's all. I do agree with you that a medical degree is a medical degree, no one really cares which uni did you go to medical school for, but if the teaching/resources are not as good as other unis, it puts you in a less advantaged position when competing with fellow doctors in the future as you haven't seen/done as much as others have.

Internship - I think international students are guaranteed an offer according to this priority list on ACT health (http://www.health.act.gov.au/sites/default/files//ACT Intern Priority List 2018.pdf). Policies might change in the future but at least this is the only university that offers guaranteed internships. The international cohort has grown yes I agree, but it is still relatively small compared to UQ Sydney and Melbourne - around 20 places every year, stated on their website and confirmed with the interviewers. In states like NSW and Queensland, international students are indeed of less priority, but I guess it still depends on the individual if they can get an internship or not. It will be difficult but not impossible.

Specialty training comes after the internship which can last for as long as 8 years to become a consultant if one, for example, wants to go into neurosurgery, but could be short as 5 years if they want to become a GP. Although I already have a few thoughts in mind about my specialty, what I care about the most at the moment is internship, without which I wouldn't be able to register with the council, and it is pretty difficult to find a training programme overseas without full registration (again doesn't apply to the north americans as people have to take their own test to get in anyway). But again, without an internship thinking about if it is difficult to become a senior house officer or registrar is not much of any meaning anyway.

So, I started attending med school in Australia..5-6 years ago now.
I went on the basis of all international students were getting internships on applying. That was the year before I started.

the year I started, there was a shortfall of internships for the first time.
At the last minute, a month before internship started the federal government stepped in and created more positions, but they're not a guarantee every year either.

Additionally, as the years got on, essentially nearly all international students end up working in rural hospitals for intern year (if not more). This is current state of things.

Even a good chunk of domestic students end up working in rural hospitals for residency not of their own volition. But because there are not enough metropolitan spots. Just to illustrate how changeable things are. If not year to year, then month to month.

If you want to rely on official 'government' statements of policy, go forth, it's your life after all. But the governments and ministries are fickle and they don't care about grandfathering changes either. ACT can only make this "guarantee" while the international cohort is small. I've said this so many times on different threads. ANU is a medical school in a tiny city - canberra, in a small state - ACT. > 40% of domestic students attending ANU are actually from cities like Sydney (i.e. they could not get accepted in their home state - which is very common, the entry requirements vary very greatly for them). So they will not choose to stay in canberra after grad, they will move out for internship back to Sydney, Melbourne etc.

Class sizes are growing in all states. ACT may not get to guarantee anything forever. Or maybe you'll get lucky. Many of the domestics also want things that the small hospitals in ACT cannot offer.

Majority of premeds have no idea what they want. Most medical students change their minds every day, if not every month or every rotation by the time they get to the clinical years. This is normal.

Unless you're thinking of getting internship in Australia, in order to move back to the UK, it's getting to be a torturous process to remain in Australia for training. Doesn't matter if you get an internship or not right now. with the VISA situation (unless that changes), you won't be able to register for a number of programs with the colleges (vocational training) until after 5 years of working random resident jobs or house officer years. That's if you choose to stay long term. As in you wouldn't get to formally be registered for GP training to finish that off until you have Australian PR. Same for any surgical specialty or general surgery. Even then, nowadays, people are rotating until PGY6 to even get on any surgical program if not longer.

So, there's a number of UK grads that work in Australia after their foundation years as house officers for 1-2 years. then they get onto programs back home and leave for registrar training.

Finally, Australia is not the UK. Not entirely. Former colony yes, that still adopts some of the same training structures, such that Australia is more similar to the UK than the US or Canada.

But none of the Australian schools will hold the same prestige as Oxbridge - as medical schools that is. Research at a particular Australian hospital is different. If you want research, I'd strongly suggest looking into the hospitals affiliated with the med school and not the school itself. If you want transplant research and medicine, attend a school affiliated or close to a transplant hospital. then you will get access to transplant patients and data. there's a lot of fluff that the Australian schools add to their programmes to get their rankings, because they know it brings in business. research yes, is part of it. but sometimes they like to add things like "global health courses" - which sound great, but could end up being an online course. There's a lot of gaming the rankings.

The school matters yes, but really only with regards to the ability to match to the hospital with stronger training in what it is you wish to specialize in. Or access to a hospital's research if that's what you're wanting (what their consultants are doing really).

For instance, if you want rural medicine, you would attend a rural school like James cook University. They will train you well to be a rural generalist, you match in hospitals that will arm doctors to be strong rural generalists. Compared to other schools in the entire state JCU is located in, it's graduates have much greater practical skills as residents on average. It's more practical, although it may be less research heavy in subspecialty fields. It's a trade-off.

If you want a subspecialty, they're so competitive now that nearly all subspec fellowships require research. even getting onto registrar programs, there is a certain level of expectation (Surgery definitely).

For Neurosurgery, in this case, you would need to be at a school with connections to large tertiary hospitals that have neurosurgery programs - so you can start research as a student potentially (if keen). Or it gives you the chance to make connections and get LORs to match at a hospital with strong neurosurgery programs. Then you get the Nsurg rotations as a resident. It's all about making the right connections, getting the appropriate training (via rotations as a resident) and referees. Small hospitals will not have neurosurgery. However, this is generally the case for domestics.

For internationals, as I stated early, it's not merit based. Already, because you don't have PR, very rarely will you be hired by a tertiary hospital. (not impossible mind you, but rarely nowadays) What's left to you is rural or regional. Neither of which will have neurosurgery for instance. So it hardly matters where you go to school. It can be very challenging to move from a rural hospital to a tertiary one after internship or residency. Because so many want tertiary. At least those first couple of years of postgrad. And most hospitals are loyal to their own home-grown interns and residents, with some exceptions. If they know their own trained interns and residents are reliable and want to stay with them, why would they hire outsiders they don't know?

So, I would disagree with this idea:
but if the teaching/resources are not as good as other unis, it puts you in a less advantaged position when competing with fellow doctors in the future as you haven't seen/done as much as others have.
Resources matter more with respect to what you want to be trained as. (In terms of the skills you pick up to be a doctor, not necessarily just lecture and textbooks. There's a whole more to medical school than didactics). If you want neurosurgery, sure you're at a disadvantage if you go to some small rural medical school. Sure.

Also, all your lecturers at any Australian school had to train through the same colleges in their registrar or fellowship years. And you don't need to know the depths of neurosurgery as a student. You just need the basics to neuro/neurosurg. Pathology in the preclinical years is taught by pathologists, who all went to the Royal college of pathology.

Moreover, med school unlike uni, is about 'independent' or self-directed learning. they love that term. "self-directed". There's scores of threads griping on this issue on SDN, like poor Goro's derailed thread. I feel like half the students out there believe that USMLE review resources like Kaplan are better than their own school's coursework (they're rampantly used even by Australians who have no interest in going to the US or ever taking the USMLE - it's the review material they like. Such as Pathoma). Some even choose to completely abandon their school lectures for USMLE materials (things that anyone can purchase without even attending med school). In which case, then everyone has universal access to all the best things. Don't confuse global rankings with quality teaching either. remember, doctors are trained to be clinicians, not teachers or lecturers or tutors.

If you want to debate about where you go to med school matters you can join the bandwagon here - Apparently where we go to school affects our level of care. But I would argue that in terms of resources, doesn't matter in Australia. It matters in terms of access to research and consultants working the fields you want, sure, then it matters where you go.

All premeds and meds get stuck at thinking about internship when it comes to post-grad training. I did the same thing. If you don't want to think beyond intern year, which it sounds like you do - it's your call. It's a lot to consider about before even starting school when you haven't been immersed in hospital or medical culture yet. It was not something I wished to worry about, but I was mindful of it when I need to be (like planning out rotations/electives). That said. It's okay to have this mindset if you're flexible about things, go with the flow and are not entitled (which so many med students are). Then you won't be disappointed or disillusioned. It's been said in other threads, when you go offshore, it's a roll of the dice, and you have to be okay with where it lands. (The exception, is if you're from Singapore and intend to return there - in terms of, should you want a guaranteed job after grad)

Just because you get general registration as intern, doesn't entitle you to registration to any college in Australia.

For the UK, you would know more than me.

Edited for grammar and clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user