McGovern vs Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAMCthrowaway

Reaction score
At the moment, my rank list up to my highest pre match is as follows:

1. Baylor
2. Long
3. Dell
4. McGovern
5. A&M (prematched)

My top 3 rankings are concrete; I will not be changing those. I am having trouble deciding between 4 and 5. Would I be at a disadvantage for more competitive specialties at A&M vs McGovern? I’m interested in a surgical specialty. I know with things going P/F, the relative “prestige” of a school matters for some of the more competitive specialties.

Pro A&M:

90% of being in Dallas after first year. (HUGE; im from Dallas)

Cons:
Not really sure. Less “prestigious” I suppose? I need input on this from you all.

Could not find detailed match data, esp for surg specialties like ENT.

Pro McGovern:
TMC more research opportunity
Ranked higher
Seem to match well in surg specialties
Don’t know much else

Cons:
Dallas >>>>>> Houston hahah
COL is significantly higher

TLDR: My main goal is to have the most opportunity to match in a competitive specialty. This obviously would require a ton of work on my end, no matter which school I go to. That being said, is the impact of the school I go to meaningful between these two schools in this regard? I know that being in Dallas would be a huge pro for me, but not at the expense of being limited in specialty choice. I hope that makes sense, and I’m definitely naive about the whole match process, so hopefully someone can enlighten me on this decision.

Also, I am interested in ENT. I have a lot of connections with some ENTs already and plenty of shadowing. Of course, specialty preference changes all the time, but this is influencing my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

McGovern seems like the clear choice for you. Despite being farther from family, better research opportunities and matching into competitive specialties will be easier at McGovern.

Reactions: 1 user
McGovern seems like the clear choice for you. Despite being farther from family, better research opportunities and matching into competitive specialties will be easier at McGovern.
Ultimately, the school that gives me the best opportunity to match is the one I will rank higher. If McGovern is the clear winner in this department, then I agree. Thanks :p

Reactions: 1 users