McGovern (UT Houston) vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on deciding between a much cheaper school and obviously a much higher ranked school.

The difference in cost is extraordinary and I'm having a hard time justifying it based on what I have been hearing from a wide variety of people. Would appreciate any more thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

The difference in cost is extraordinary

!!!! Pitt is a good school, but Pitt vs East Dakota SOM would still not be worth an extraordinary amount of doubt imo.

Pitt vs. McGovern (a great school, with great match lists/reputation/research/clinical exposure), there's no question. Go to McGovern.

obviously a much higher ranked school

I think you're giving the numerical difference between Pitt/McGovern far too much weight. McGovern has a reputation that exceeds its numerical ranking (and rankings are weird), making the disparity much less significant in reality.

Last edited:
My friend who goes to Pitt told me at the beginning of the cycle that Pitt is great if you want a career in academic medicine. I know they have the scholarly research project already included in the curriculum if you are big into bench research. Pittsburgh is also a pretty cool city from what I saw. If you don't care about academic medicine or research is not as important to you, then Mcgovern would be the best choice since it is dramatically cheaper! Just saw the tuition in-state is awesome 15K a year :O . Should have lived in Texas! Either way you can't go wrong good luck and congrats!

Reactions: 1 user