MCEE and USMLE exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just have a question about the timeline for writing exams for Irish grads interested in doing their residency in the US or Canada. I know that you have to write either the MCEE or USMLE exams, but do you prepare for them at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just count backwards because it's easier to avoid the referential problem between the 5 or 4 year programmes.

1)Most people do the USMLE Step 1 in the summer before their second-to-last year (two years before graduating).

2)Most people study for the USMLE Step2 CK and MCCEE at the same time (the material is similar) and write them in the summer after their second-to-last year(one year before graduating). The USMLE Step 2 CS is taken in the fall of final year.

Some people write one or other of the exams a season early or late, but that's the general schedule.

Hello,

I just have a question about the timeline for writing exams for Irish grads interested in doing their residency in the US or Canada. I know that you have to write either the MCEE or USMLE exams, but do you prepare for them at the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people (like myself) wrote Step 1 in the spring of your penultimate year.

The EE is written in September of your final year. CK is usually written around the same time as the prep for both is the same.

The majority do CS in the summer before EE and CK. Although I did CS in August, I would recommend early summer if you can because if you fail, a test date in autumn will exclude you from the Match as you will not be able to redo it and have your results in time.

Hello,

i can guide u more on usmle,welcome