MCC of HCC HBV or HCV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is the MCC of HCC? HBV or HCV?

I thought it was HCV, but one of the q I did is saying that it's HBV since it can transmit vertically whereas HCV is not transmitted vertically. Can anyone confirm this?

Members don't see this ad.

I looked it up, it's not in my reading source, so can't give you a definitive answer. But when given the option between Hepatitis B and C for any pathology, B is way more common. So that's the route to go to if you have to guess.

Additional point:
Hepatocellular (adeno)carcinoma is the most common primary cancer found in the liver.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought that HBV was the most common cause do to the sheer number of cases compared to HCV.

Where as HCV is a greater risk factor than B in the development of HCC.

Perhaps someone else though could confirm this is just from memory.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought that HBV was the most common cause do to the sheer number of cases compared to HCV.
Yeah that's a better way of saying it, I should have been more specific. I meant for all cases in general, if your on a question and your not sure in which direction to go.

Both. According to Robbins, HBV is more common, and we know how it works (genome integration); HCV is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma as well, but the mechanism isn't exactly known.