mcats for italy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

does anyone know, as an american with a BS in Biology, and an MS in molecular bio and a 3.86 gpa, would i need to take the MCATS to be admitted, also does anyone know how long the MD is in italy, and does anyone know what the USMLE success rate is of italian graduates is. italy is an option for me since my family has citizenship, but im worried about comming back and passing step 1

Members don't see this ad.

MSc44 said:
does anyone know, as an american with a BS in Biology, and an MS in molecular bio and a 3.86 gpa, would i need to take the MCATS to be admitted, also does anyone know how long the MD is in italy, and does anyone know what the USMLE success rate is of italian graduates is. italy is an option for me since my family has citizenship, but im worried about comming back and passing step 1

Regarding the USMLE, only the ECFMG knows the pass rates for a given country or school and they aren't telling. If you do go abroad to a European medical school, you will need to study independently for the USMLE as studying for the exam is not the equivalent of simply completing the curriculum.

Look further back in this forum, there was a thread on access to italian medschools.

Here are two old threads on Italy:
Study Medicine in Italy
American wants to practice in the EU
Both kind of degraded into arguments that had nothing to do with the original post but you wills till find useful info in there.

To quickly answer your question though, there is no centralised equivalent of the MCAT for Italy. You need to sit the exam for each individual city. You will need to contact the foreign student office of each school in order to find out when the exam is and what the prereqs are necessary for the exam (I am guessing you need to have some kind of language proficiency certificate in addition to a translated, certified copy of your HS/college transcripts). The degree is 6 years long (bc it's a combined BA/MD), but most people do not finish in 6 years (more like 7 or 8). You will need to prepare for the USMLE on your own or find a tutor who can assist you in preparing for the exam from Italy. It is not impossible to pass the USMLE with IMG training. My father's cardiologist studied in Italy and is considered one of the best cardiologists in the state of NY. My parents' neighbors both studied in Belgium and one is the chief of pediatric cardiology at a university hospital in NY and the other is the chief of emergency medicine at a community hospital also in NY.