MCAT without biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonotes9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had taken a basic biochemistry course before the MCAT.

After, I took an in depth clinical biochem course.

I wish I'd have waited until after the clinical course. It worked out fine and I did okay on the mcat, but could have absolutely done better with more biochemistry under my belt.

Reactions: 3 users
It is possible but difficult. Biochem is arguably the most important class to take before the MCAT. You can self-study depending on a few things. First, what biology classes have you taken? There is definitely some overlap that can fill in some gaps. Second, are you good at self-studying?

Here are, in my opinion, the 3 most important things from biochem:
  1. Amino acids - Know them backward and forward. 1 letter abbreviations, 3 letter abbreviations, pKa values, etc. etc.
  2. Michaelis Menten kinetics
  3. Metabolic Pathways - know all the enzymes, substrates, and the general idea of each pathway. Also, know the rate-limiting step.

• I just found a good Anki deck that contained everything about amino acids. That was good enough for that.
  • KA has some good videos on Michaelis Menten kinetics. I don't like textbooks so I will always recommend videos.
  • make a good image occlusion for metabolic pathways and it works wonders.
*disclaimer* - I took biochem. This is just my advice had I not taken it.

Reactions: 4 users
You can do it, but I'd highly recommend against it. Bio/Biochem concepts are by far the largest % of questions on the MCAT. Some would argue the most difficult as well [if you don't have a solid background in it].

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken biochem or the MCAT (scheduled Aug 3). I've been teaching myself biochem from the Kaplan book, AK Lectures, and Khan Academy. I'm not sure why everyone recommends to take it. It seems like 60% of it is just a re-hash of Cell Biology. On UWorld I always score at or above average on my biochem questions. The questions on the full lengths don't seem particularly hard as long as you've gone over Michaelis-Menten Kinetics, amino acids (which only take a day to memorize), and oxidative respiration.

To me, it seems that the MCAT doesn't go into depth on anything. It tests your basic knowledge. A basic knowledge of biochem shouldn't require a college course where most of the material will be in far more depth than what the MCAT wants you to know.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I haven't taken the MCAT. And I found in college that I learned everything far better by teaching it to myself than by going to lecture and passively listening to someone talk for 1.5 hours. Also, my degree is in molecular biology so the concepts aren't at all foreign. Additionally, my style of learning may be different from yours. My comment isn't meant to tell you what to do - but rather to present an alternative view for consideration and let you know that you're not alone in deciding to self-study.

I knew people who took the mcat before and after biochemistry, and in general those who took it after did better, in my personal experience biochemistry helped a decent amount and there were several questions that I knew the answer to because I had taken the class; however, if you don't take it before, I agree with Cornfed101 1st point the most, know the amino acids, just knowing the 1/3 letter abbreviations, and their structures pry got me about 5-7 questions correct

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT before I took biochem. Would I have done better had I waited? Absolutely.
But... I'd also have had to wait another year to apply, and I really wasn't willing to do that.
The score I got was good enough to get a couple acceptances. As long as your practice tests are in the range you want, you should be ok.

I took the MCAT before taking biochemistry and also got a score that was just good enough for a few acceptances. However, looking back I definitely would have done significantly better had I waited.

If at all possible, I would recommend taking biochemistry before the MCAT. It will streamline everything and make your studying much easier on top of getting you a much higher score.

I took the MCAT before taking biochemistry and did well on B/B. I'd never recommend it, but I got lucky and there was very little biochemistry on my exam. I self studied from the TBR books, especially O Chem 2, which is more biochemistry than organic chemistry. I took biochemistry this past Fall quarter, after my MCAT, and it was a breeze after studying for the MCAT. I honestly don't know if my biochem class would have helped very much for the MCAT.

I took the MCAT without biochem and years out from taking the other prereqs. I got a 128 on B/B so not remarkable but good enough I think (514 total). I think it depends on you- are you self-motivated? Do you do well learning on your own? I read the Kaplan book set twice and listened to the Kaplan biochemistry audiobook whenever I was in the car. I just did my best to respect its importance and prioritize getting comfortable with it in my studies. The best part was that when I did take biochem after, I felt like I had such an advantage and didn’t have to work that hard for an A. Plus, my prof wasn’t great and I think I learned WAY more and better on my own.

Is self-studying biochemistry for the MCAT doable? anybody out there done it? If so, any recommended study materials & resources? I'm a non-trad student. Planning on taking biochem but due to a scheduling issue, I won't be able to take it until after the mcat. Unless I delay my app by a year... which, I would really prefer not to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm a non trad nurse that took the MCAT without biochem and only made a 502. I'm only applying DO but feel that the MCAT was very heavy on biochem. I would suggest taking it prior to testing.

I'm a non trad nurse that took the MCAT without biochem and only made a 502. I'm only applying DO but feel that the MCAT was very heavy on biochem. I would suggest taking it prior to testing.

yeah, I'm thinking this is the way to do it. thanks for the input!

Take the broad biochem if your school has it. Mine had a broad one and a pair of ones divided into 2 semester long classes that went way too in-depth for the mcat.

I took it before and feel fine. Scored a 130 on the chem section and it actually made the biochem class really easy once I got around to taking it.