Mcat vs step 1.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how the mcat correlates to step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally i think mcat seems like a test that is a lot more unstudiable. I can vouch for taking it multiple times and having known probably 2 times the information when i took it the second time due to haven taking alot more classes and studied another few months and ending up with the same scores on the science, knowledge based sections. The retake was for verbal. I really think for one verbal is completely unstudiable and step 1 has nothing of the sort; it is all a matter of who studies more will get the better score i believe, atleast its more true for step 1. I think they are 2 diff tests however i ahvent taken step 1 so i cant say forsure.

The MCAT is the dumbest exam in the world. It means nothing in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stinger86 said:
It means nothing in the long run.
Except for if you get into med school and which school you get to go to.

Jalby said:
Except for if you get into med school and which school you get to go to.

Unless you get into several schools without it (and don't have to study for it as a result) ;)

Would any person rather have:
1. HMS degree + 199
2. Creighton U. degree + 260

MCAT gets you into HMS, but the 260 lands you at MGH for residency, which lands you a job/fellowship.

bigfrank said:
MCAT gets you into HMS, but the 260 lands you at MGH for residency, which lands you a job/fellowship.

I'd say the MCAT may get you into Harvard, and getting into Harvard will land you a residency at MGH, even w/ an average board score. The name, for better or worse, goes a long way.

bigfrank said:
Unless you get into several schools without it (and don't have to study for it as a result) ;)

Would any person rather have:
1. HMS degree + 199
2. Creighton U. degree + 260

I'd probably choose the Harvard. At least you are gaurunteed the Harvard residency spot then.

MCAT means jack!
check out post by Axon on Step I results thread, MCAT: 24, step I: 231

folks quit being so anal, noone cares about what on earth ur MCAT score was once ur accepted!!

lotanna said:
MCAT means jack!
check out post by Axon on Step I results thread, MCAT: 24, step I: 231

folks quit being so anal, noone cares about what on earth ur MCAT score was once ur accepted!!

It must be people "hanging on" to something that will never come up on residency/job applications. Ever. :rolleyes:

Jalby said:
I'd probably choose the Harvard. At least you are gaurunteed the Harvard residency spot then.

BigFrank is right. Most people would pick Creighton with a 260 rather than a Harvard with a below 200 score. That is unless you would want to go into politics, a Harvard degree even if you are last in your class is worth more than a 260 from Ponce De Leon School of Medicine.

Deuce 007 MD said:
Trying to figure out how the mcat correlates to step 1.

Washington University: Avg MCAT (approx. 36) vs. Avg Step 1 (approx. 232)
Columbia University: Avg MCAT (approx 35) vs. Avg Step 1 (approx. 230)

BTW, your poll suffers not only from major reporting/selection bias, but also the ranges (30-35, for instance) are too broad. Error intervals are +-1.5 or so, so probably 30-33, 34-37, would be more appropriate.

Jalby said:

What ever happened to people actually striving to do well for the sake of striving to become good doctors? I'd take the better board score at a sub-Harvard university any day. Sure, the Harvard grad may get a better residency but how does that equal better doctor? The student at Harvard that barely squeaks by is no better in my opinion than the student that barely squeaks by at BottomTier Medical College. You should strive for the best you can do for your future patients.

To whoever said that no way someone scores below a 30 on the mcat and gets above a 260 or above. 27mcat, 260 step1. Didn't study for one, studied my ass off for the other. I'll let you pick which was which

Members don't see this ad :)
zedpol said:
To whoever said that no way someone scores below a 30 on the mcat and gets above a 260 or above. 27mcat, 260 step1. Didn't study for one, studied my ass off for the other. I'll let you pick which was which

With all due respect, Zedpol, you are full of crap! There are premeds with a 3.8+ Undergraduate GPA that can't get accepted to medical school with a 25 or below MCAT. You knew this fact before you took the MCAT. So, how can you say you didn't try? Of course you tried. What pre-med student is NOT going to study for the MCAT to get accepted into medical school? I highly doubt you went into the MCAT thinking all I need is a 27 on the MCAT to be accepted into medical school. The premed mentality for the MCAT is not that way. You reviewed everything like the rest of us, you are just rationalizing your low MCAT score to make yourself feel better. By the way, your credibilty is already dubious since you took Step 1 in December. Think about it. How many medical students take a Step 1 exam in December? I get it, the school that you go to starts 3rd year in January. :thumbup:

Congrats on your 260 :rolleyes:

there are reasons p53.

A few people where we go to school currently didn't take the MCAT carrying because they knew it was only a formality. You're assuming he's the classic pre-med to med student.

you're basically assuming too much. Not everyone follows the same path.

lmbebo said:
there are reasons p53.

A few people where we go to school currently didn't take the MCAT carrying because they knew it was only a formality. You're assuming he's the classic pre-med to med student.

you're basically assuming too much. Not everyone follows the same path.

Point taken. I think Zedpol is mistaking his frame of reference after studying so hard for Step 1. Granted, he studied his tail off for Step 1 but to say he didn't study for the MCAT is a hyperbole.

p53 said:
With all due respect, Zedpol, you are full of crap! There are premeds with a 3.8+ Undergraduate GPA that can't get accepted to medical school with a 25 or below MCAT. You knew this fact before you took the MCAT. So, how can you say you didn't try? Of course you tried. What pre-med student is NOT going to study for the MCAT to get accepted into medical school? I highly doubt you went into the MCAT thinking all I need is a 27 on the MCAT to be accepted into medical school. The premed mentality for the MCAT is not that way. You reviewed everything like the rest of us, you are just rationalizing your low MCAT score to make yourself feel better. By the way, your credibilty is already dubious since you took Step 1 in December. Think about it. How many medical students take a Step 1 exam in December? I get it, the school that you go to starts 3rd year in January. :thumbup:

Congrats on your 260 :rolleyes:

OK how about this? I only studied for the MCAT for 1 week. ONE WEEK!

Sure, of course i planned to study more. . .but there was no way I could with a heavy course load that term, with thing after thing due and exam after exam. In fact, because I took that week to study for the MCAT afterwards I was pretty behind in my courses.

Well. . .I got a 27. . .and well my step 1 was 223, (not 260 but pretty decent).

no..really, the only studying i did for mcats was sharpening my two #2 pencils. So this is my situation, I use to be in pharmacy school but in december of 2002 i decided I wasn't going to do that anymore so i withdrew. My undergrad grades were kinda ****ty, like a 3.02 or something stupid. My Pharm D. grades were decent, like a 3.4. But i was still slacking. Anyways, I decided I wanted to go to medical school, earliest i could possible get accepted was a year and a half away, and lets be honest, my undergrad grades are kinda assy so i figured I would probably have to do another year or two of school, so that put med school 2-3 and a half years away which wasn't acceptable for me. So, i applied to Ross University (in the caribbean), but i needed an mcat score and it didn't really matter what it was, hence the only preperation for the mcats was my #2 pencil sharpening. It was actually kinda funny because when i showed up to the test everyone was all stressed out except for me. I could have cared less. So, i got a 27 on the mcats, and then studied my ass off for step 1. And there you have it. I wasn't a typical pre-med in that I never wanted to go to med school. It wasn't until I spent a fair amount of time in the hospital as a pharmacy intern that I realized i was in the wrong career.
:thumbup:

peace
z

zedpol said:
no..really, the only studying i did for mcats was sharpening my two #2 pencils. So this is my situation, I use to be in pharmacy school but in december of 2002 i decided I wasn't going to do that anymore so i withdrew. My undergrad grades were kinda ****ty, like a 3.02 or something stupid. My Pharm D. grades were decent, like a 3.4. But i was still slacking. Anyways, I decided I wanted to go to medical school, earliest i could possible get accepted was a year and a half away, and lets be honest, my undergrad grades are kinda assy so i figured I would probably have to do another year or two of school, so that put med school 2-3 and a half years away which wasn't acceptable for me. So, i applied to Ross University (in the caribbean), but i needed an mcat score and it didn't really matter what it was, hence the only preperation for the mcats was my #2 pencil sharpening. It was actually kinda funny because when i showed up to the test everyone was all stressed out except for me. I could have cared less. So, i got a 27 on the mcats, and then studied my ass off for step 1. And there you have it. I wasn't a typical pre-med in that I never wanted to go to med school. It wasn't until I spent a fair amount of time in the hospital as a pharmacy intern that I realized i was in the wrong career.

peace
z

I was wondering what med school let you take boards in dec. Good job though :thumbup:

can add my score now

mcat = 21 (7V, 6 PS, 8 BS) and a P ?
step1 = 233/94

Jalby said:

Welcome back, Jalby!

"Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back."

Chandler said:

Welcome back, Jalby!

How is it that I have posted a total of 8 times this year, and yet someone who has only been on SDN for like 2 months knows me. :scared:

Jalby said:

How is it that I have posted a total of 8 times this year, and yet someone who has only been on SDN for like 2 months knows me. :scared:

May have been posting under a different name before, like I have, but been reading your post for years now.

Jalby said:

"Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name, and we're always glad you came..."

chocomorsel said:
You inspire me :love: I also got a 21 on MCAT. And I'm eagerly waiting for my Step 1's. Hope it's in the 220's since that's what NBME predicted.
:luck: