MCAT verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clevertooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To get atleast a 10 on verbal, how must one do on it? Usually how many questions needed right and out of?

also, for those of you with english as their second language and did well on verbal i.e (9+), how did you prepare for it?

What kind of books do you guys recommend reading? and any other ways to improve verbal?

Members don't see this ad.

PRACTICE. Over, and over, and over again. Do EVERY SINGLE verbal item you can get your hands on. And then do more....

Sorry, I'm not being sarcastic. This is honestly the best strategy for slamming verbal. You just need to get comfortable with the format and the reading style required (analysis of structure, NOT detail).

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
clevertooth said:
Do you think reading the question first helps?

Personally, I think reading the questions before you read the passage is a waste of time. I think reading the questions before you read the passage is really distracting, but that is just my opinion. I think everyone has their own way of doing it and you need to find the way that works for you and you need to stick to it. The best way to improve your score is to do a lot of problems. Do a lot of new problems. Don't score yourself with anything except the AAMC books because they are not very accurate, but doing the problems from other test makers is helpful in getting you used to the format of the test and to help you to read efficiently.

I agree. The trick to doing well on verbal is to get used to making a mental outline of the passage while reading it. The trick is to take your time on the passage and make sure that you are COMPREHENDING every single sentence. A lot of people get nervous and try to blow through the passages, and have to reread stuff that they should've gotten the first time around.

If you know the passage, you'll be able to go STRAIGHT BACK to the relevent portion to answer any particular question.

People freak out because it's timed and miss the entire point of the section.

As someone who has never had a problem with verbal standardized tests, I can tell you this much - YOU CANNOT ACQUIRE STRONG VERBAL SKILLS OVERNIGHT. The kind of critical thinking that you need to apply when reading long dull art passages, and the kinds of questions that are asked - require a constant internal thread of thought to be maintained in your mind as you are reading the passage. This thread of thought is very introspective and internal to your reasoning style. But it comes through reading habits that are acquired several years prior, the ability to read fiction or non-fiction of significant length over perhaps several days, but maintaining the continuity of this thread of thought through the entire process. The key to strong verbal and reading comprehension performance is how strong and thick you can make this thread. My personal advice is that lots of practice can help you raise your score a point or two or three, but to really get the big bang improvement, this needs to be a part of your daily routine, over a year or two. The analogy that comes closest to mind is that lots of practice with verbal helps you create lots of Schwann cells producing a lot of myelinated sheaths that look like its one continuous axon, but to get the underlying neuronal structure built, you need the strong thread of thought that you get through highly developed reading habits.

Sorry for the rambling - but I hope you understand what I mean. All the best.

Thanks for that reply!

I won't be taking MCAT until April 06 but I feel like my verbal is weak. And I don't read much :( What kind of books do you recommend?

I'm not taking it until next spring, but you should check out the MCAT 30+ thread- it's very long, but full of good ideas on how to study for the different sections, including books to read to improve your verbal.

You'll need to get about 45 out of 60 questions correct to get a 10 on the verbal. If you don't have a significant amount of time before the exam (6 months or so), I don't think that outside reading will help all that much. Your practice time would be much better spent doing passages with questions and under timed circumstances. At least, that's how it was for me. I got very little out of reading things other than MCAT practice passages. Good luck.

I went from getting 6, 7's on practice tests to 12, 13's (on practice tests), in about 3 weeks.

Just did passages over and over....you get used to them...

The biggest thing for me was focusing. I practiced passages just to practice focusing. Most passages are incredibly boring, but you can save a lot of time by comprehending them the first time around. I took notes (not a lot) as I read, noting main ideas, examples, points made, and pivot points and counter-arguments. I found that once I stopped having to read back in the passage to answer the questions, I shaved ten min. off my time. I also scan ALL the passages. I do the ones first that either are about stuff I know or look easy. I'm odd in that I go straight to the neuro passage. They intentionally try to bore you. Just stick with it, get to recognize the trap answers, and practice your timing. Do as many passages as you can get your hands on. Good luck! :thumbup:

I'm gonna have to disagree with anyone that says you can't change your verbal score significantly in a short amount of time. Don't listen to posts that say to start reading alot of different kinds of literature and stuff like that. Start developing your strategy early (like others have said).
For example, I starting using EK's strategy and immediately I started finishing the verbal (never did before) and was scoring alot higher. Find what works for you.

Don't let people discourage or scare you into believing that "you either have it or you don't"

Raising your verbal score ain't easy, but it's definitely doable. Personally, I found the most difficult part of verbal was being able to decipher exactly what the author of each passage was trying to say. I took an art history class this semester and found that the reading assigned, in order to understand it well, forced me to learn to pay more attention to an author's argument and where he's attempting to go with it. It also really helped me further develop my abilities to read complex writing and become more comfortable with that type of writing. Writing about Claude Monet is definitely written in a more difficult style than most books I read in my science classes. I'm not recommending that one should take an art history course to study for the verbal portion of the MCAT, as that may be just plain stupid. However, based on my experience, where my verbal practice tests went from the 7-9 range when studying for the Aug. MCAT to the 10-12 range when studying for this past April MCAT, I really do think that reading things like the Economist and books written by academics helps improve reading comprehension. These types of reading materials are written on a level similar to the passages one would find on the MCAT. For the question side of the verbal section, the only way you will ever get better is by doing all the practice passages you can get your hands on. Good luck

AJ

clevertooth said:
icedcube-

why is it amazing? :)

if u tell adcoms that u prepared 3 years for the verbal, they'll love your dedication to medicine.

i studied verbal for 1 month. i started with a 7 on AAMC II (yeah, the EASY aamc's) and ended with a 12 on AAMC VI. the trick is to know what ur reading. thats pretty much all there is to it.

UCLA Student,

Good job on the improvement!

Where did you obtain the passages from? and how often did you do them each day?

Thanks!

clevertooth said:
To get atleast a 10 on verbal, how must one do on it? Usually how many questions needed right and out of?

There is no set formula for # of correct answers. You MUST correctly answer at least one more question than all examinees who scored a nine . :laugh:

clevertooth said:

also, for those of you with english as their second language and did well on verbal i.e (9+), how did you prepare for it?

What kind of books do you guys recommend reading? and any other ways to improve verbal?

My fellow Indian American, you need to get around 45-47 questions right usually. More than that if the passages are easier to get a 10