MCAT this weekend but my score is out of range. Void?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been consistently scoring 506-508 on my Kaplan Full length and the AAMC scored exams. - I've just been plateauing these past weeks. I've been studying for it since February and I was hoping to at least be in the 515+ range with this amount of effort. I'm going to keep studying really hard these next few days and take the exam on saturday.

I'm freaking out and thinking about voiding my exam, studying for an additional month, and then take it in July. What do you guys think? Any advice would be helpful!!

I've already submitted my AMCAS for verification as well so I intend to apply to medical school this year.

Members don't see this ad.

The last thing you should do is void!

Go out there and bust it out! Your Kaplan averages are stellar, actually.
What is your scored AAMC FL? You can have confidence you'll score 2-6 points higher than that on the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The last thing you should do is void!

Go out there and bust it out! Your Kaplan averages are stellar, actually.
What is your scored AAMC FL? You can have confidence you'll score 2-6 points higher than that on the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the input.

Today I took the scored AMCAS exam, which came out to be a 506. It felt a lot easier than the Kaplan exams, but I don't what happened today... I thought it would be at least a tiny bit higher than my Kaplan scores. I'm going to go so hard on practice questions in these next few days!

Wish me luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input.

Today I took the scored AMCAS exam, which came out to be a 506. It felt a lot easier than the Kaplan exams, but I don't what happened today... I thought it would be at least a tiny bit higher than my Kaplan scores. I'm going to go so hard on practice questions in these next few days!

Wish me luck!
Do the section banks if you haven't already! They are really difficult but very helpful. I bet you'll be able to boost your score by a few points at least just by going through them and focusing on your weaknesses. You've got this! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
g
Thanks for the input.

Wish me luck!
good luck! You got this :horns:

I'm going to go against the grain and say void it. You want 9 points higher than your AAMC Scored FL. That's highly unlikely to happen tbh. Most people score within + or - 2 points of their scored FL and AAMC is the best predictor. I don't want to be harsh, but I want you to be realistic. Take the extra month (or more and do a gap year) if you need it. This score is so important and you want to make sure you gave it your all.

Reactions: 1 users

You really can't say this with any confidence because the scored FL tends to be quite close to how people score. That and it's easier than the real thing, generally speaking.

Voiding is tricky. I thought I bombed my biology section and ended up with a 131 somehow. The real deal can really stress you out and make you question yourself. As well, some passages are insanely difficult and will be thrown out. I wouldn't go voiding a test unless something drastic happened (you got sick, your computer malfunctioned, you didn't answer whole passages on each section, etc)

You really can't say this with any confidence because the scored FL tends to be quite close to how people score. That and it's easier than the real thing, generally speaking.
You are probably right.

I am just a big fan of having confidence, even if that means false confidence. It served me well on every exam in college and served me extremely well on the MCAT. Regardless if OP decides to void or not, OP, have confidence that you are going to score a 506 +/- 2 !!!

Voiding is tricky. I thought I bombed my biology section and ended up with a 131 somehow. The real deal can really stress you out and make you question yourself. As well, some passages are insanely difficult and will be thrown out. I wouldn't go voiding a test unless something drastic happened (you got sick, your computer malfunctioned, you didn't answer whole passages on each section, etc)
+1

this. I thought I bombed my biology section as well! It was the hardest B/B section I had ever seen! The passages were extremely detailed, as were the questions. I made some educated guesses and came out with a 129! Averaged 127 on practice exams.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Quick question. In the worst case scenario, is it still possible to retake the exam early August and still be competitive this cycle, considering all other stats are pretty good?

A late application can make a world of difference. A better mcat score can make a world of difference. Weigh your options

Thank you!

I've decided to void the exam tomorrow. I will continue taking more practice full lengths and then thoroughly go over them - I am seeing a lot of improvement lately. I mentally feel that I will be more comfortable taking the july 8th exam. The scores will be coming out early August. By then, my primary should be verified as well.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if that is considered very late?

Thank you!

I've decided to void the exam tomorrow. I will continue taking more practice full lengths and then thoroughly go over them - I am seeing a lot of improvement lately. I mentally feel that I will be more comfortable taking the july 8th exam. The scores will be coming out early August. By then, my primary should be verified as well.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if that is considered very late?

I'm doing the same thing. I feel I will be more confident for the July 9th exam, and I think mentally believing in yourself is the most important thing. From what I've heard, it's not too late if you're complete by mid-August. At this point, I don't have a choice lol so I'm going to do my best and pray this cycle turns out good.

I'm doing the same thing. I feel I will be more confident for the July 9th exam, and I think mentally believing in yourself is the most important thing. From what I've heard, it's not too late if you're complete by mid-August. At this point, I don't have a choice lol so I'm going to do my best and pray this cycle turns out good.

Exactly and good luck! With hard work and determination we'll crush that exam! :)

I'm going to go against the grain and say void it. You want 9 points higher than your AAMC Scored FL. That's highly unlikely to happen tbh. Most people score within + or - 2 points of their scored FL and AAMC is the best predictor. I don't want to be harsh, but I want you to be realistic. Take the extra month (or more and do a gap year) if you need it. This score is so important and you want to make sure you gave it your all.

I agree. Depending on your GPA/other factors you may want to wait either an extra month or a gap year. Most people are within a few points of the scored FL.