MCAT test center double booked - exam pushed back/when to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sagooch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I received a phone call from the AAMC late last night informing me that my testing center was double booked on April 23rd. They proceeded to tell me that they changed my testing center location AND they pushed my exam date to July 14th which isn't even an official exam date. I'm having a meltdown because I will already have one gap year and I'm concerned that this will cause me to have to apply late and reduce my chances of getting an interview/acceptance spot or I can take a second gap year (which I REALLY don't want to do). I don't want to spend the money applying this cycle if my chances are being hurt by having to wait longer than anticipated to take the exam. I also already have one terrible MCAT score on my record so I'm not comfortable submitting my application unless I know for sure that my second MCAT score is good - meaning I would like to wait until August when the scores are released but this delays it even more.

I'm not sure what to do here and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Looking at your post history and your plan to get clinical experience with human patients this summer, you might be best served by taking the MCAT in August (or in January 2017) and applying in 2017. It isn't fun to delay a year but it is less fun to retake the MCAT and even less fun to sit through a cycle with no interviews or , even worse, interviews but no offers. Do it once, do it right, even if it means doing it a year later than you would have wished.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are willing to travel and to pay some money, go on the site regularly and search for alternate locations. People freeze up and cancel and you may be able to grab a another spot. It costs money to change, but I had to do it to get a spot in my hometown on the date I needed.