MCAT studying diary Exam 8/2/2013. Journey to a 45? ha?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedirection

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have made public accountability stuff in the past in order to get things done and keep up with what I have to do

Anyway I'm going to graduate 2014 from College. I have taken nearly all of the pre-med requirements. I only became recently interested in medicine and basically crammed 7 pre-med classes into the past 3 semesters I had. That was not fun...needless to say I only did alright in my classes. I'm a social sciences major. I think talent/intelligence wise I might be a bit better than what's normal? Memory wise, I might be a bit worse than what's normal?

I'm going to post daily what I'm doing. Obviously the goal is to get to the 45

Took my first diagnostic, kind of took it spur of the moment on some Saturday morning, it was given by Examkrackers. I had gone out the previous night and it was early. Got something like a 20 on it. From that point forward I knew I had some work cut out for me. Honestly the exam frustrated me and I found myself walking out partway through biology

Overall Goal: Go big or go home. 45!! (15/15/15)

Tests taken so far
05/01/2013 Diagnostic Exam Krackers: 20: 6/9/5
Started Studying: 5/8/2013
6/07/2013 AAMC 3 Composite: 31: 10/11/10
6/17/2013 Princeton Review Hyperlearning Practice test: Composoite: 33 12/12/11

Other AAMC Scores: 37/39/36

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
6/8/2013

Okay So I went over Optics, harmonics, complex ion equilibria and most of the topics that I had planned to get done

I am about to start reading the experimental methods section of the TBR book and getting that done

I re-did a practice test that I had from a while back, I got about 90% of the questions right. So there's still the lingering gaps in my knowledge

I decided to build flashcards for the stuff I got wrong. Building this with Anki

Also decided to download the n-back program or something and work on it about 10 minutes a day

Research has shown that it improves fluid intelligence. I mean it hasn't been proven but why not give it a try

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_intelligence

Goals today

Finish the experimental TBR book section
Borrowed some old MCAT Book from the library, go over some problems in that

Edit: I have to say that whole n-back thing is awesome. It literally wakes up your brain when you use it. Highly recommended

http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

Again, it might all be a placebo but it's a damn good one

For tomorrow I have to go over/or at least if I can fill this in before going out or something tonight
Spectroscopy [went over it but still need a refresher]
Limiting Reagent [go figure, I forget exactly what you do from getting moles, but this shouldn't take too long to find out]
Anti/Syn Addition
Right-Hand Rule
Lenz's Law

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
6/9/2013

[YOUTUBE]-WbSjXQNHNc[/YOUTUBE]

Might as well include a song in each post

Anyway

Stuff's not too bad, just some random details I'm filling in as I do some stuff from Kaplan's topical tests or whatnot. I'm pretty lucky I had a few members of the family have a bunch of spare MCAT materials from the past. Took about an hour to erase everything though

Regardless. Just realize I have to fill n the blanks with some stuff. I think my biggest problem is because I jump to the questions immediately, I tend to go over some information written in the passage

I realized I have no idea anymore how to do calculations with acids and bases. I get the theory though. Go figure. I need to review that stuff

Bought EK 101 Verbal and 1001 bio. Getting ready to just kill it with problems

I have left today
Go through 1 section of Physics from kaplan, 1 section of Orgo from kaplan. Review of course and then also learn this acid/base calculations thing

Took forever to relearn that specific right hand rule technique I used to know because every website had the finger thing which wasnt the one I remember using way back when.

Anyway other than that, I just tend to get some dumb questions wrong, and it ends up being continuous when I get one wrong. I get like 15 right in a row, then 4 wrong in a row. So obviously go to look into that. And again usually I get it wrong because I didn't really think and just answered

Regardless hope to keep this up. Will take that free exam Gold Standard has online in a few days.

Also for those who hate writing out flashcards

think about downloading Anki. I think the site is ankiweb .com or something

It's pretty solid program that's free. Also works with spaced repitition that's been tried/tested to help you memorize stuff. Plus you can download the iPhone app (which costs $20 bucks or so) or get the free Ankidroid on some android device. You can sync data with everything, so you can have your flashcards on the go and keeps track of how far you've progressed

Things to do:
Look up solving the acid/base stuff: Duh it's just ICE tables, just haven't done one in a while, about to redo these problems requiring them
1 physics subject test kaplan
1 orgo subject test kaplan
Some more flashcards
1 bio subject test kaplan
1 gen chem subject test kaplan

Shoot forgot about the NBA Finals...damn playoff basketball

Plus the Bruins are in the Stanley Cup
Also pretty disappointed by school didn't make it to out of the NCAA baseball tournament...next year???

Edit: screw the heat

Also, I got to modify my method of hitting the passages. I think the way I approach it treating everything has basically a discrete has it's limit of potential which I may have already reached. I actually have to go in and do some reading...the questions I get wrong are due to the fact of overlooking material in the passages

Edit 2: Physics is funny, I got the theory down, don't have all of the formulas down [primarily formulas with Electricity and magnetism]

Last edited:
I have made public accountability stuff in the past in order to get things done and keep up with what I have to do

Anyway I'm going to graduate 2014 from College. I have taken nearly all of the pre-med requirements. I only became recently interested in medicine and basically crammed 7 pre-med classes into the past 3 semesters I had. That was not fun...needless to say I only did alright in my classes. I'm a social sciences major. I think talent/intelligence wise I might be a bit better than what's normal? Memory wise, I might be a bit worse than what's normal?

I'm going to post daily what I'm doing. Obviously the goal is to get to the 45

Took my first diagnostic, kind of took it spur of the moment on some Saturday morning, it was given by Examkrackers. I had gone out the previous night and it was early. Got something like a 20 on it. From that point forward I knew I had some work cut out for me. Honestly the exam frustrated me and I found myself walking out partway through biology

School ended for me mid May

Been studying for the MCAT since then

Been building up a flashcard bank. Currently have about 1400 flashcards. Have been reviewing about 300 a day.

Read through Examkrackers Biology. Read through some TBR sections. Borrowed Gold Standard videos from a friend and watched through some of those.

Took AAMC 3 this morning to see where I am

Tests taken so far
05/01/2013 Diagnostic Exam Krackers: 20: 6/9/5

Started Studying: 5/8/2013

6/07/2013 AAMC 3 Composite: 31: 10/11/10

Remaining Goals today:
Retake one of the previous exams, see if I can get every question right on it and explain why that specific answer is right and why the other choices are wrong

Some topics I need to review a tiny bit:
Organic Chemistry - haven't taken the second part of it yet
Light in Physics
NMR
DNA Replication/Translation/Transcription
Kidney
Harmonics/Waves
Photoelectric Effect

Overall Goal: Go big or go home. 45!! (15/15/15)

Nice starting score on AAMC#3 ! Since you are already strong in VR, you can realistically shoot for 37+... What kind of strategy(ies) have you used for VR?

You're going to study for two months and your goal is a 45?

i dont think the OP's actual goal is to get a 45...i think he/she is just setting an ambitious goal so that he/she can push him/herself the hardest, which is a smart move.

so OP is currently sitting on a 31 for AAMC 3 after a month of study. the OP's exam is early august, so there's still around 2 months of study time. i think if the OP works hard and smart, then a 35 should definitely be a reachable goal.

so good job so far OP, but do know that AAMC 3 is significantly easier than the current MCAT exams.

6/10/2013

[youtube]_DNZBxc58m0[/youtube]

@Temperature101

As dumb as it sounds and you heard it before, but active reading works well for me. I'm not taking about passage mapping. I'm just reading and wondering about the main idea the whole time.

@Smiley27

If your goal isn't a 45 you aren't trying, sorry

@aspiring20

That's fine, I really only took it at the time to get a feel for what taking the test online would be like. I actually found it rather easy to navigate and stuff so I liked it

I can't sleep so I've been reviewing flashcards into the night

Again I figure at the low 30's people start pressing about having trouble seeing improvements. Honestly, in learning everything there's some stagnation period before you see some periodic jump in your performance Also the fact of the matter is, I don't even deserve a 45 yet.

It's not important to get tangled up in actual scores. i just have to keep practicing and working on it even if I don't see improvements. I spent the first month just wanting to learn all of the material. I really didn't have too strong of a grasp of everything. The score that might have been associated with that was an afterthought. Of course the increase in scores makes you become more dependent on what your scores next time is going to be. But I prefer being goaless, I do my best when I'm not chasing something.

Now I'm just trying to learn the exam and grow a fondness for reading science passages. Regardless, I'm going to do passages, but not with the intent of actually trying to get questions right

What I'm doing for the next week
When i do problems, I want to jot down why every wrong answer choice is wrong and why every right answer choice is right (before looking at the answers of course); also if there's something in an answer choice I never heard of it, I might as well go ahead and look it up

Regardless goals for today
Continue reviewing via anki, I've had solid progress on it
Do 4 kaplan section tests (1/science); again continue working from the hardest subject/topics for me down [Chemistry, Biology, Orgo, Physics]
Pull out that old TPRH A-D practice test book I found from the library and run through that methodology
Actually I'm no longer taking that exam I thought of taking just yet. Maybe on Wednesday and accompany it with a kaplan exam at some point later on in the week. I want to get in the mode of taking exams Friday morning because that's when my actual test is. So, my schedule must be organized to fit that

Edit:

I have to say these topical tests are really revealing especially when you work down from topics you think you might be most uncomfortable in. Electrochem is still kind of weak. I understand the theory. The Galvanic cell I get. I realized however that I don't remember the whole salt bridge thing (nor have i really reviewed it). I also need to go over the Electrolytic cell, moreso how to solve those questions and balancing redox reactions

Starting that right now of course

Edit:

I wasted so much time trying to figure out what the point of the second passage was in the electrochemsitry topical test and I should've gone on to do other things intead

Capture.png

Who knows what's going on there and I don't even understand the answer key for this

so I'm basically behind right now

Note to self for future: Don't get boggled down on something if it takes too long, make a note of it and come back to it with a fresh mind later/post it somewhere, maybe someone can help me

Edit: utterly owned by physics. I need to look over the TBR Orgo book the second half. I have a solid idea of the first half. It's the newer stuff that's brutal

Last edited:
6/11/2013

[youtube]aNzCDt2eidg[/youtube]

So a quick change of plans. I'm frustrated taking so much time on Orgo passages. I am not too versed on everything. I really just guess an answer based off sterics/electronics and whatnot. I want a better understanding of stuff

Decided to start reading through the TBR orgo books

I'm down 3/8 sections so far in reading [2 in the first part, and 1 in the second part]

Let's get this done by tonight??

Reading + taking notes. Hopefully Build the flashcards as well

Update: Just read Stereochemistry

4 sections remaining

Hydrocarbons
Carbohydrates [edit: halfway through this...damn this is long]
Carbonyls and Alcohols
Nitrogen Compounds

Last edited:
6/12/2013

[youtube]2wu_RU66eAY[/youtube]

I'll look to finish the Carbs section today

Somehow did pretty well in the NMR topical test for orgo despite not knowing any NMR values and whatnot.

Also I'm noticing in physics I tend to get the same questions wrong

The human eye produces a real and inverted image

Forgot that light can travel at different speeds in different mediums. For some reason i thought it was constant at c in all mediums

Also converging lenses: real and inverted image

AAnd of course total internal reflectoin is when the incident angle > 1/sin(n2/n1)

I've gotten some of those wrong in the past...got to keep this stuff in mind

Goals:
Finish Carbs section in TBR
Do some more Topical tests
Open up that EK 101 book
Practice, Practice, Practice and use this to determine weak points

Update:
Realized I'm still weak on the kidney. It's more because I'm missing a lot of the details involved. I have trouble accepting the big picture without knowing why. Found some physiology videos online involving nephrology. These are pretty solid
- Stuff finally makes sense, i just didn't realize reabsorption meant reabsorption back into the blood/interstitial fluid...I just had the wrong idea of stuff which is why I was getting things wrong; i realized the collecting tubule controls the flow of water out of the collecting duct; also went over dehydration/overhydration and ADH

http://www.youtube.com/user/armandohasudungan?feature=watch

Anyway
Will also watch their blood pressure video

Also because I know I'm going to have problems with this later on, might as well get this sorted out
Glycolysis, vs glucogenesis, vs gluconeogenesis, vs glycogenesis and whatever else there might be
-done, found a great picture. This is actually pretty straight forward
Will take a practice exam on Friday morning, Probably a Princeton Review FL

Update #2:
These topical tests are interesting. I'm learning quite a bit from them. I'm learning more going over the material. I'm getting like 60% of questions right on these.

Last edited:
6/13/2013
[youtube]M8l8AMIt5oU[/youtube]

Got to love the ego. I've been hesitant to do some of the harder orgo stuff I don't know thinking that it's too hard. Seriously that voice whoever you are shut the hell up, I'm going to do this. I want to learn this stuff.

I will do a FL tomorrow morning at the same time as the exam I'm going to take. It's going to be out of a book however...today is more of a content review day for me

What to do:
Orgo TBR reading
EK 101 passages
Review Flashcards
Build flashcards on wrong answers

Current progress on flashcards...still not sure exactly what this means, what I'm looking forward to is moreso to get that unseen thing to 0%

Physics
RxafG9d.png

Biology
cXMlrtO.png

Chemistry
PRPAYse.png

Organic Chemistry
CAdpQi3.png

Update:
Slacked off a bit today
Finally finished the Carbohydrates section of TBR
Starting to wonder if all of these reactions are actually necessary because I've yet to really see a question intensive on some Claisen whatever reaction...we'll see
Not sure if I'll spend time committing this stuff to memory

Last edited:
6/14/2013

[youtube]zYZnpmxykCQ[/youtube]

Took some content exam test that was free on Princeton Review's site for Chemistry

Pulled ~70% which isn't that good. My strength is my critical thinking abilities, my weakness is just the lack of knowledge. It's like being fluent in speaking a foreign language with what you know but lacking all of the necessary vocab to be a master at it.

I need to fix up any faulty ideas that I may have had with certain concepts and certain things that I simply don't know.

I think I got all of the information down for General Chemistry.

I really needed to look over Solutions, Acid Base, Solubility, and Electrolytic stuff. Went over those from another book because things might click reading it presented in a different way.

Next up would be biology. I am also reading through TBR and EK organic Chemistry.

I should re-read Biology with organic chemistry...then looking through the Kaplan Review for Biology about certain topics that I'm less versed on. This Princeton review diagnostic thing is helping me make my decisions about what to really look at. I'm just going to fix up my problematic areas and improve on my weaknesses

Damn bio Diagnostic was a killer for PR as well...I got to go read over EK Bio again

Last edited:
6/15/2013

Okay I'm done wasting time finding songs

Just leave it to the details

Read through The Kaplan Physics Review Subject book and 1/5 pf the Biology one

Expect to finish biology and FINALLY Open up EK 101

Also, I notice that What's keeping me from that 15 in PS is stupid mistakes that could be avoided if I just looked at the other choices and paid attention some more...

Took a practice PS section got a 12, should've gotten a 14 rather readily but whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
6/16/2013

@inycepoo

Trust me, I'm not using any more AAMC tests, it was from some random EK 1H exam that I had from showing up to some diagnostic, but I hadn't taken it yet...I kind of left without taking it

Regardless. I have a new strategy for answering questions. I'm annoyed by getting so many questions wrong because I just didn't read things properly.

I'm going to start applying my Verbal strategy in looking at the questions on the Science sections. I expect this to help

I'm simply answering questions in the science questions to passively. I need to change this approach

Read through a bunch more stuff in bio. The Kaplan Review books are pretty solid I got to say...possibly better than TBR. Although an issue is the amount of detail that I find in different books. I kind of find it annoying how different books mention details in different things.

I find it funny how I feel like I'm learning new stuff on things I've technically learned already. Regardless, I've been retaking notes. I'm going to consolidate everything when all is said and done.

A funny hack I've been doing for time...also lost like 5 pounds of body fat over the past 3 weeks, so it's pretty friggen awesome, I'm actualy seeing more ab definition than I've ever seen in my life. Intermittent fasting. I literally think about eating for about a 2-3 hour period everyday with just one cheat day. I can work nonstop basically without the thought of food.

Also been meditating daily/doing the classic visualization stuff that i've been taught to do to accomplish goals/whatnot.

Last edited:
6/17/2013

Okay just a quick update...Been spending the night basically reading through Bio; also realized there's some gen chem and physics I may have skipped over [I never bothered really looking over mechanics because I just assumed I knew it...same with some chemistry topics [i really only went over electrochem and some other stuff...there's random things I just don't know. Who knew that the slope of the solid/liquid equilibrium line points leftwards when the thing is water because of density of ice being less than that of water. I could have figured it out technically had I done PV = nRT and rearranged stuff, but it didn't really come to my mind...of course my sister who's a 10th grader in high school who has taken 1 chemistry class there was able to point this out to me...pretty embarassing]. This segues into what I wanted to talk about

It's actually ridiculous how much of this stuff I did not know.

I think my initial content review was rather superficial and I didn't get down to a lot of the exceptions and cool stuff.

It's taking a long time to read and take notes, but this stuff is actually sick. I love reading this. Kaplan honestly has the best book I've ever seen.

Screw Examkrackers, TBR, TPR...Kaplan is presented so clearly, great pictures, and they provide a lot of sweet insight.

I'm still going to use the other sources for questions...but it's come down to this

Well back on track

I'm kind of surprised where my scores are currently, especially considering how little material I actually know come to think of it.

I've been answering questions with just a small chunk of knowledge. This is clearly evident when I took Princeton Review's diagnostic exam which was a comprehensive content test for each section and I was scoring 50-60% on them. So clearly my knowledge base isn't really there.

Regardless my scores according to a TPRH FL from 2006 [the longer ones, aka hell[
PS: 12
VR: 12
BS: 11

Solid 33 overall (Update: looks like I can't even do math in my head, I'm a *******. I realized that adds up to a 35 like 8 hours later, This is probably not the most representative of course because the tests changed since then and I didn't take it on a computer. Regardless everything still applied as spoken below).

But...I'm craving more. I'm hungry. The questions I get wrong, I could've gotten right if I thought things through correctly

However, the problem I have is that the way I'm thinking things through is pretty roundabout and I would be better off if I actually learned the material.

I'm primarily strong in Physics and have been using physics to basically answer questions in every section...pretty dank huh? Because to be honest Chemistry is basically applied Physics and Biology is simply applied Chemistry. It all really comes down to physics and then using some logic. Plus answer choices tend to cancel themselves out really often on standardized exams.

It's a shame however, considering how interesting I'm finding learning the other topics.

I'm really focused now on solidifying my knowledge base on these other subjects

Can i say again, Kaplan is pretty sweet.

Side note: I love mentally exhausting myself and then realizing I have an insanity workout to do...plus I'm on the second month...I'm probably losing years off my life, but so be it.

There's another thing, but its probably too inappropriate to post on here

Last edited:
I'm primarily strong in Physics and have been using physics to basically answer questions in every section...pretty dank huh?

But that's not how you take the MCAT. I'd like to see a breakdown of the female menstrual system using simply physics concepts.

Because to be honest Chemistry is basically applied Physics and Biology is simply applied Chemistry. It all really comes down to physics and then using some logic.

XKCD disagrees. http://xkcd.com/435/ (Did you just rip them off, bro?)

It's a shame however, considering how interesting I'm finding learning the other topics.

:rofl:

6/18

Kind of frustrated, didn't get too much done today

I really need to establish a schedule and really work my way through it. That's been my biggest weakness. I really need to get down and get this stuff done

Forget the continuous content review that I like to do. Also waiting on these NBA finals to be over so i can focus again. Also damn the cHeat

What I NEED to do tomorrow:
Look up colloids, never heard of them til I saw them in EK 1001 Chem; Do acid/base questions in EK 1001

Look through AAMC topic list Bio, Chem, Physics...check to see if there's anything that I simply don't understand/seen before

Continue reading through Orgo

EK 1001 Orgo, targeted questions (1 hour)
EK Chem 1001 Targeted questions (1 hour)
EK Physics 1001 Targeted questions (1 hour)
EK Bio 1001 Targeted Questions (1 Hour)
Bio Review from Kaplan Book
Borrow PR science workbooks
Verbal Passages 30 minutes

Going to do this EK targeted thing every other day to target weak content areas...The other day of the week do passages.

Just do it...No excuses. You're a man, step the **** up...Nothing's worse than my regret for not doing it

Last edited:
5/19

Realized I didn't post today/yesterday

Side note this is SICK

[youtube]fvEZUbzqqyM[/youtube]

Got sidetracked for a while today because I had to go to the dentist and then when I went to a coffeeshop to read up on Bio, I of course had to have a stunning girl just come in and sit on the table next to me...then there was the battle with my brain on the debate of reading vs talking to her...I wanted keep reading but I just ended up killing time fighting with myself...so after like 15 minutes I talked to her. After that I was able to get stuff done

Need to do a bit more work on solutions
Need to do a bit of work on pulleys and fluids in physics
About to finish up the Carbohydrates chapter of Orgo, that leaves 1 more remaining in the TBR book
Building up those flashcards once again...resetting the log so I start from fresh...that is the program's log
Need to look up a handful of stuff that I saw on the bio outline. Got a lot of it done like the eyes and smell. Found the info on renin/angiotensin that I was kind of unsure of.

Tomorrow
Orgo Reading
Bio Reading
Wrong answer book transfer answers/wrong answers
Full Length Exam PR

Started doing some problems again from TPRH A-D book...I just got murdered 16/36 wrong...jesus...

Did the Free Online TPR Demo Test

Here's PS

J0MXogg.png

At first glance I was kind of annoyed

At second glance I'm even more annoyed

8 math errors [2 because I didn't read correctly]...I admit one of them I just didn't know the equation
2 Legitimate errors

1 error because I did not read that the passage changed the conditions of what's actually the case. Planets are ellipitcal, but the passage said to assume circular so I got it wrong because I answered with the elliptical notion

Another error because I read double bond as pi bond...that should have been correct 99 times out of 100

BS

r9PMXSd.png

Last edited:
This is the most cringe-worthy thread on SDN

1.) Everything in this thread screams "trainwreck." I can help but laugh a little reading the abysmally ******ed study plans, to the annoying/useless images and data of your "progress," to finally your commentaries reminiscent of a female on her period.I am almost sure you will not score anywhere near the ballpark of your "goal" of score 45, if no drastic changes are undertaken.

2.) You are either a troll or a socially awkward person. If I were you, I too would constantly remind myself that I am a "man" as part of my motivation (See your post from 6/18 if you didn't get the reference).

3.) You clearly spend a substantial amount of time typing and posting about your study sessions. You probably spend nearly the same time talking about your studying as actually doing it. TLDR

4.) Your choice of music is absolute garbage (my preferred word to describe it rhymes with baggy, can you use physics to figure that out?). I also hate your username and your choice of avatar. Your choice of music reminds me of my younger sister, who is also a fan of Justin Beiber.

Good luck with your MCAT and life goals!! :)
)

PS. LOL @ "losing years" off your life from doing the Insanity workout (or any exercise in genera). Go to a real gym, and lift some real weights; it's far more effective than doing a few home workouts in your living room following DVD instructions from some trainer through your TV screen.

Last edited:
I somehow clicked into this..... and....

Oh geez Forkit! That was way too harsh.

People like accountability, and this is just onedirection's way of being held accountable for studying. There is nothing wrong with that. As for spending time writing the post, everyone spends time in their day NOT DOING MCAT. He/she takes note of what to get done, what needs to get done, and seems like he/she realized that he/she needs a better schedule. And everyone has his or her own musical tastes, why are we worried about that?! :p

6/21/2013

Reviewed questions I got wrong in that old practice test. Mostly math mistakes. Finished up TBR Orgo readings and note taking. It's not as bad as I expected it to be.

I'm getting duped on some questions by simply being stupid. This comes down to not answering questions passively.

What's with everyone's obsession with TPRH science workbook. Been doing the Bio..it's a bit too easy

Edit: just read the posts...keep it coming. I love the hate

I'm going to jump to Kaplan's subject tests. TPRH's workbooks aren't that bad

I also need to review the sex hormones and get the calcitonin/para thyroid hormone thing down..keep confusing those two

Calcitonin --> Makes bones denser
the PTH whatevr- --> less dense [so i guess more blood calcium]

LH and FSH and GnRH need to double check that

How does posting on SDN hold you publicly accountable? You don't know who these people are and they don't know who you are. You have no obligation to them and their are no consequences for not following thought with your study scheduled. BTW have you ever heard of a blog, because I don't think you should be posting this here.

That 31 on AAMC #3 is a good start. But it seems to me that you all over the place with your study material. Maybe you should pick one and try to master it.

Those graphs are pretty neat. Where'd you get them from?
Anki tracks all of that stuff automatically for you and generates graphs of whatever breakdown you want. It's a pretty boss program, I have to say...though there's a tiny bit of a learning curve if you haven't done ANY compSci before. Well, you can do all of the basic stuff without it, but the really fun part comes in making your own custom card templates and whatnot!

The way I remembered Calcitonin vs PTH was that Calcitonin is released when blood Ca2+ levels are too high, so it TONES down blood calcium levels. Kind of stupid, but it helped me remember which was which.

CalcitonIN puts calcium IN to the bone.

6/24

I've been busy the past few days with stuff

But I've done about 1/5th of the Ek 1001 book so far for Orgo. I'm planning on getting the whole thing done to make sure I have stuff down in Orgo.

TBR Bio...this is kind of annoying. I've been in the 9-10 range in that according to the book. It's teaching me a lot though about stuff that was not really covered in books

I'm kind of up in the air about content review. I feel like there's no purpose of it anymore. I might as well just do problems and fill in the blanks for stuff I don't know based off of questions.

PS/Chem and Verbal I'm pretty confident on at this point. There are just a few concepts I need to tackle specifically. EK 1001 has been pretty helpful

BS isn't bad, I just have trouble remembering all of the stuff at times same as Orgo

i joined to say that improving drastically is possible... i improved from aamc3 to aamc10 over a month of studying TBR and EK bio.. but even though a 45 is a nice goal to have, it is very unrealistic. i would think you know that the mcat is not evenly scaled. even if you are a master of all the subjects, one wrong in each section would most likely be a 42.. but good luck either way

i joined to say that improving drastically is possible... i improved from aamc3 to aamc10 over a month of studying TBR and EK bio.. but even though a 45 is a nice goal to have, it is very unrealistic. i would think you know that the mcat is not evenly scaled. even if you are a master of all the subjects, one wrong in each section would most likely be a 42.. but good luck either way

Really? You joined just to shed your incredible knowledge on that front? As the OP states, "if your goal isn't a 45, you're not trying". That's not to say that anyone ever actually expects to get one, it's just OP's way of saying that they're shooting for the highest score they can possibly get in that time. It's like saying you're going for a 100 in a class when everyone knows you'll settle for a 93 if it's all the same on your GPA.

Really? You joined just to shed your incredible knowledge on that front? As the OP states, "if your goal isn't a 45, you're not trying". That's not to say that anyone ever actually expects to get one, it's just OP's way of saying that they're shooting for the highest score they can possibly get in that time. It's like saying you're going for a 100 in a class when everyone knows you'll settle for a 93 if it's all the same on your GPA.

Aaaand thanks for being kind of mean to someone trying to help!

Aaaand thanks for being kind of mean to someone trying to help!

True, you're right. I shouldn't have been such a bitch. My apologies to the last poster. I just really react poorly to condescension specifically, and am a very sarcastic person generally. I see now that it wasn't intended as such.

Stop trying to discourage people. I hate when people do this. I really do. It's just disrespectful. Just because a 45 is unrealistic for you does not mean it's unrealistic for someone else, and it certainly does not warrant you going around and trying to discourage people.

I applaud the goal of a 45 - it's my same goal. You see, if you go for anything less than a 45, I believe you actually make that your new maximum. If I consistently say that I just want to get a 35, then I've actually already lost ten points without even taking the test yet. At that point, it actually is impossible. People can get 15s on each section, so people can get 45. It's incredibly difficult, but it sure as hell isn't impossible. Stop trying to hurt others' dreams and goals just because they're higher and more profound than your own.

Last edited:

Speak for yourself.

Uhh too bad the world revolves around reality, not hopes and dreams. I'm not discouraging him. In fact, I told him drastic improvement is possible. But to set the standard so high will lead to nothing but disappointment... Even someone who scores constant 45s on the FLs won't expect a 45 on the real thing due to the random nature of the test and the massive pool of possible test topics. Not discouraging at all, would be great to see him get a 45 but I'm just stating what I think....

6/24/2013

Crazy video by the way

[youtube]ADJhErmJuoQ[/youtube]

Been focusing on a lot of the small details and fixing up any random details that I kind of ignored. Also fixing up any faulty ideas that I had...like thinking that streamlines in fluids were similar to utility curves in econ [when in fact streamline don't have to be parallel]

Some random bio topics that I needed to look over: Lac Operon [did it], Gastrulation [i keep forgetting a lot of the details here, moreso what comes out of each of the germ layers...I took it as Ectoderm [stuff outside body], mesoderm [skeletal stuff of body..like middle of the body [bones/muscles]; and endoderm organs]

Apparently that's not the best way to have thought it through

Hacking away at EK 1001 Orgo

I'm going to take another practice test again soon. I feel like I'm simply reaching that phase of just doing a crap ton of questions from this point forward

Uhh too bad the world revolves around reality, not hopes and dreams. I'm not discouraging him. In fact, I told him drastic improvement is possible. But to set the standard so high will lead to nothing but disappointment... Even someone who scores constant 45s on the FLs won't expect a 45 on the real thing due to the random nature of the test and the massive pool of possible test topics. Not discouraging at all, would be great to see him get a 45 but I'm just stating what I think....

Again you miss the point...having a GOAL of a 45 ≠ EXPECTING to get a 45. A goal is something you aim for, and you don't stop working until you get there. An expectation is something you actually think you'll get. All it means to have a goal of 45 for this MCAT is that he won't just sit around content when his FL scores are sitting at ~35 or so...he'll keep studying.

Lol you better believe if I got straight 45's on all the AAMC FL's I'd expect to have a pretty good chance at a 45 on the real thing.

Hop off of Xeones, guys. He's not being discouraging. He's just pointing out what seems to him is a flaw ITT. If he weren't trying to help, he wouldn't even have posted in the first place. Just because you have a different opinion doesn't make yours any better than his. Each to his own.

Hop off of Xeones, guys. He's not being discouraging. He's just pointing out what seems to him is a flaw ITT. If he weren't trying to help, he wouldn't even have posted in the first place. Just because you have a different opinion doesn't make yours any better than his. Each to his own.

No one is saying anyone's opinion is better. But to actually tell someone that their goal is unrealistic is actually discouraging. You're discouraging them from a certain goal. If he doesn't believe it's possible to get a 45, then that's fine, he can just think that. But he has no right going around and telling other people that they're unlikely to get it. Let OP maintain and strive for his goal, but let's not act like other people can't do something just because we can't.

No one is saying anyone's opinion is better. But to actually tell someone that their goal is unrealistic is actually discouraging. You're discouraging them from a certain goal. If he doesn't believe it's possible to get a 45, then that's fine, he can just think that. But he has no right going around and telling other people that they're unlikely to get it. Let OP maintain and strive for his goal, but let's not act like other people can't do something just because we can't.

Once again man, I'm not discouraging anyone. I support the idea, and I'm gonna follow this thread to see the improvement.. If you read the first few posts in the thread, you'll find patronizing sarcasm everywhere. I actually told him there is hope for drastic improvement because of my own experience.. Idk why my specific comment really hurt people's feelings

Once again man, I'm not discouraging anyone. I support the idea, and I'm gonna follow this thread to see the improvement.. If you read the first few posts in the thread, you'll find patronizing sarcasm everywhere. I actually told him there is hope for drastic improvement because of my own experience.. Idk why my specific comment really hurt people's feelings

Because SDN.