MCAT self-study plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad Dad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have the funds/free time to take an actual MCAT prep course so I'm planning on going the self-study route and taking the test in the spring.

Anyone else in the same boat? I was planning on picking up an EK or Kaplan book, supplement my studying with free online resources like Khan Academy, and then taking as many practice questions/exams as I can.

How are others tackling it? (And best of luck too!)

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I don't have the funds/free time to take an actual MCAT prep course so I'm planning on going the self-study route and taking the test in the spring.

Anyone else in the same boat? I was planning on picking up an EK or Kaplan book, supplement my studying with free online resources like Khan Academy, and then taking as many practice questions/exams as I can.

To start my studying, I printed off this PDF from the AAMC:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...27-631d2096c569/combined_mcat-content_new.pdf

I was in a very similar situation (I didn't have money for the prep courses). I bought old versions of science textbooks online (under $10 usually) and used Khan academy's materials extensively. I also grabbed some older MCAT prep textbooks for cheap to help guide me through of the less familiar subjects.

Admittedly, I didn't take any practice exams ahead of time, but I seriously don't recommend doing what I did. Take as many as you can and tailor your studying accordingly!

Reactions: 1 users
By the looks of your status, your strategy worked out well enough. ;)

I'm a bit wary of purchasing older test prep books for this new test/format. However, I've also heard that the new MCAT goes "wider and shallower" as opposed to "narrower but deeper" (old MCAT) in terms of subject matter. Not sure how true this is though..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a bit wary of purchasing older test prep books for this new test/format. However, I've also heard that the new MCAT goes "wider and shallower" as opposed to "narrower but deeper" (old MCAT) in terms of subject matter. Not sure how true this is though..
Old PR physics book saved my behind for the real test as most of it was low yield stuff. I would recommend what @WyomingMedStudent said when it comes to working through the PDF and making sure you have those topics down. Anything is fair game and only focusing on high yield topics may come back to bite you in the ass during the real test

I shared your concern about the older test prep books. I used them completely out of necessity, but I would definitely recommend getting the newest books possible. But as Kgizzle said above, I too thought the older physics books were spot on. The equations in the older books were still relevant and helpful.

As far as the textbooks I got, I don't mean "old" per se. But simply 1 or 2 editions back from the most current. The price of textbooks takes a dive and they become much more affordable when every undergrad in the country isn't trying to buy them, yet the material is still very relevant. General biology/ chemistry/ physiology / physics doesn't change that much between book editions.

I took the new MCAT (the very first day it was offered, actually). Here was my basic strategy:

1. Purchase the Kaplan review book set (~$150 at the time, but there was no option for used since it was the version for the new MCAT). - this came with 4 practice tests, I believe.
2. Purchase an additional $25 PR review book (I chose physics - my weakness) to get an access code for their online practice tests. - this came with 3 practice tests.
3. AAMC official practice test (at the time, there was only one and I think it was like $10?) - there's probably more now.
4. Khan Academy to supplement my understanding as I went through the Kaplan books and eventually the practice tests.

I took one practice test per week for 8 weeks leading up to my exam. Not as expensive as a review course, by far, but also not entirely free. My biggest piece of advice (and something I learned late) is that practice questions are the best way to learn, not just videos & reading. If you buy anything, buy practice tests.

I self studied and used the EK books for my content review, plus Khan videos. I followed their 10 week study schedule where can be found here: https://www.examkrackers.com/mcat/MCAT-HomeStudy.aspx . Result top 95th%. I would imagine the other test prep companies have a similar schedule. I would say pick one and commit.

The one big change I did was to add a few weeks in at the end for more practice tests. The EK tests are good, but expensive. I liked the Next Step tests as a cheaper option. If money is tight, make certain you use the official AAMC tests, they are the closest to the real thing. Save one for last to make sure you are scoring where you want to be.

I agree with what others have said about practice questions being your highest yield study strategy, but make sure you do a solid content review. Also, the real benefit of practice tests is in the review. Make certain you understand every right/wrong answer, that's where you improve.

Save money where you can, but remember, taking the MCAT a second time is more expensive than buying an extra couple of practice tests the first time.

IMO, doing all available official AAMC material is non-negotiable. You must do all QPacks, all section banks, the flash cards, official guide 1/2 length, unscored and scored full lengths. This in addition to whatevet else you do.

Reactions: 2 users
Old PR physics book saved my behind for the real test as most of it was low yield stuff. I would recommend what @WyomingMedStudent said when it comes to working through the PDF and making sure you have those topics down. Anything is fair game and only focusing on high yield topics may come back to bite you in the ass during the real test
Hello! What does PR stands for? Thanks

I also plan on taking the MCAT without taking an official course. It's going to be an uphill battle because I have not yet finished all of my prereqs (& I took physics YEARS ago). I know this is highly unrecommended, but I'm going for it.

I pretty much have every resource out there because I found a good deal on Craigslist. I plan on starting out slowly with TBR for content coverage the first 3 months and then using Kaplan and Examkrackers the last 3 months as a review making sure to hit everything on the AAMC outline. I'm going to keep it relatively simple and stick with a popular schedule that I found in this forum. I'll also take FL exams once a week for the last two months and utilize all of the aamc resources.

Good Luck!

I don't recommend Kaplan for anything.
I bought Kaplan because the reviews on Amazon were better than for TPR and because I had to pick something. I'll probably add in EK later. What was your experience with Kaplan? Review content, not the FLs.

Because I'm currently balancing (unsuccessfully?) family, a 50 - 60 hr workweek, and two evening classes (my last 2 prereqs: Physics 2 and lab), I haven't been able to properly digest most of the prereq course material. I've been able to get away with cramming whatever was necessary in order to pass my exams...which wasn't ideal.

That said, given that I aim to take the MCAT in late April, which is my best bet in terms of prep books? I hear good things about EK, but I'm worried I won't get enough content review..

Thoughts?

Because I'm currently balancing (unsuccessfully?) family, a 50 - 60 hr workweek, and two evening classes (my last 2 prereqs: Physics 2 and lab), I haven't been able to properly digest most of the prereq course material. I've been able to get away with cramming whatever was necessary in order to pass my exams...which wasn't ideal.

That said, given that I aim to take the MCAT in late April, which is my best bet in terms of prep books? I hear good things about EK, but I'm worried I won't get enough content review..

Thoughts?

U can take it in may for extra review time.

Thoughts?
Postpone until you can focus on the MCAT. It's not a content laden test its an application of the content type of test. Books are less important than the AAMC materials (including flashcards). Use the AAMC materials to learn how to take the test in terms of how they test, what they look for and the rationale (or lack thereof) in the answer choices.

So I started my test prep last night by taking the AAMC's mini-test e-book and completely bombed it, getting only 5 of the 12 questions right. Of the 5, I guessed on 2.. Oh, and they were all from the social sciences section (I was a social science major).

I know it's day 1...but that didn't stop the overwhelming feelings of doubt, defeat, inadequacy, and "what the F am I thinking?" I may as well have been reading a foreign language for those science questions! :( I'm not giving up...but this is definitely going to be a rough uphill battle.

Anyone else in the same boat?

@Nontrad Dad - very, very common feeling at the beginning. It's the "content" knowledge v. the way the MCAT wants you to portray that knowledge. As you do more and more of the AAMC materials, you'll find the patterns, the flow; get into a groove on how to use the wrong answers to get the right ones when they matter.

Almost cried more than once when I was first starting to work through Next Step Chem+Physics practice passages, felt like I would never learn the material well enough. Ended up with a 519 on the real test. If you find yourself getting really discouraged, I might suggest doing some of the Khan Academy material first - I found it to be easier than most prep companies, but it's sponsored by AAMC so you can be assured it's still pretty legit. Also the video game nerd in my finds it satisfying to earn points and achievements...

Reactions: 5 users
@Gurby - those achieves are awesome, aren't they? Then you get to change your avatar?!? :D Love KA...

I have a good friend that used the EK books and he did super well. Of course he's super driven and self-motivated, but he liked those books. I know he also used both Next Step and Altius practice full lengths, which he said helped give him practice on the real test and what it's like. Either way, I wish you luck! Make sure you set goals to track your progress, and stick to it!