Mcat score of 496

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bjg4938

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently received my March MCAT scores and scored a 496. I did not get to study very much at all due to a death in my family that set my studying back. I have a 4.0 science and regular GPA, as well as 200+ shadowing hours. I volunteer in the ER department and started my own club on campus. The pre med committee gave me the highest recommendation as well. I wanted to score at least a 500 on the MCAT, and I’m not sure whether I should attempt to retake it and apply late or apply early with my current scores. I’m going to apply solely to DO schools, one being LECOM which will take an academic index score that doesn’t consider the MCAT.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I could see you getting into a low tier DO school with that GPA. However, I would plan for a re-take. You could get into an MD school with a 510+ with that GPA.

Hello,
I recently received my March MCAT scores and scored a 496. I did not get to study very much at all due to a death in my family that set my studying back. I have a 4.0 science and regular GPA, as well as 200+ shadowing hours. I volunteer in the ER department and started my own club on campus. The pre med committee gave me the highest recommendation as well. I wanted to score at least a 500 on the MCAT, and I’m not sure whether I should attempt to retake it and apply late or apply early with my current scores. I’m going to apply solely to DO schools, one being LECOM which will take an academic index score that doesn’t consider the MCAT.
Thank you.
Not much to add, but I am very sorry for the death of your family member during an already stressful time during your life.
:(

Not very well versed in DO apps but can you apply with your current score, retake and submit an updated score after it's released?

First, let me echo what was said above: I'm very sorry for your loss and can only imagine how stressful this all is. You sound like you've worked incredibly hard to get an amazing GPA and great experience/ECs. Don't sell yourself short by not retaking just to apply this cycle. If it's an option, take some time to focus on studying and then re-take. (This could also allow you to earn some money, travel, do a global health trip, etc. during a gap year.) If you get a higher score, with the rest of your app, you can easily get into a top tier DO program and have a good shot at MDs as well if you're interested. At the end of the day, while it seems like you need to make moves now, you have the rest of your life to be a physician and only have one attempt at being a first-time applicant. You've worked really hard, keep that going through to the finish line.