MCAT requirements and deadline Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eg77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just beginning to look into applying to UK and Irish Med schools and thought I'd ask a few Qs here first:

1. Is the MCAT required for the med schools in these countries? and if so, how important are they in comparison to US schools?

2. Is admission generally a rolling process like the US or is it total review of applicants like the Canadian system?

3. And is the "Atlantic Bridge" a centralized application system similar to AMCAS?!?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi eg77 !
For med schools in Ireland, I think Trinity is the only school which doesn't require MCAT. As for other school(s), I guess you could still apply without the MCAT but I was told you might/will be place in their 6yrs program (if the school is still running the 6yrs prgm).
Browse the ABP website : www.atlanticbridge.com
Or you could give them a call .... Mr. Louis D. Keenan is a very helpful person that you can talk to. :thumbup:

Good Luck!! :luck: :luck:

ucd does not require mcat. at least they didn't when i applied in 2003.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys very much for the responses and the insight. How about deadlines? Is it a rolling admission or is there a certain deadline and afterwards all the applicants are reviewed.

Thanks again in advance

yeah it's rolling...sooner you apply, sooner you'll find out...don't think anyone hears much before early march though, no matter how soon you apply....i got my stuff in very late, right before the feb 15 deadline, found out in late june

Thanks Badkarma,

Back to the MCAT issue: How significant of a role does the MCAT play in the selection process? My grades are acceptable (at least I like to believe so): 3.75. And I have a lot of volunteer and employment experience. When I applied to US schools my MCAT was so crappy that I couldn't even get an interview at the "less competitive" schools, since the MCAT is such a big factor for American schools. So I'm wondering if this exam plays a similar role in Ireland med admissions.

I think MCAT matters relative to the applicant pool for Ireland. In NAmerica, you're more likely to see cutoffs and in Ireland it's probably a little looser but not exactly less competitive. But the NAmericans you're competing with will be the telling factor. Number of applications is up and up I think (300+ apps for 20 spots at UCC, for instance) so they'll be looking fairly hard at MCAT scores. Probably a similar range overall to back home-- 30ish is probably solidly competitive etc...

yeah it's rolling...sooner you apply, sooner you'll find out...don't think anyone hears much before early march though, no matter how soon you apply....i got my stuff in very late, right before the feb 15 deadline, found out in late june

Hey Badkarma,

I was looking over the application and the deadline listed was Nov 15th. So What is the Feb 15 deadline? Is that secondary applications, similar to AMCAS? Or was that the deadline set for the year you applied? I'm interested in this because the admissions offers for Irish med schools are supposedly in Feb/March, which is quite early. The Canadian offers are in May/June, which is closer to when you found out about your acceptance. This is way better due to the deposit issue.